Barbicide/Mundo vs steriliser with UV rays for disinfecting brushes

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ARud

Reaction score
HI all

Can anyone advise how they plan to sterilise/ disinfect their hair brushes when salons open?

Is a steriliser with UV Rays sufficient to eliminate virus? Or is it essential that I use Barbicide/ Mundo/ Saloncide for this? The Barbicide Jars are too small to hold numerous brushes and I can't find a suitable alternative online.

Any recommendations are appreciated! :) TIA

HI all

Can anyone advise how they plan to sterilise/ disinfect their hair brushes when salons open?

Is a steriliser with UV Rays sufficient to eliminate virus? Or is it essential that I use Barbicide/ Mundo/ Saloncide for this? The Barbicide Jars are too small to hold numerous brushes and I can't find a suitable alternative online.

Any recommendations are appreciated! :) TIA
I'll be using Barbecide. You can also get sprays and wipes in barbecide, that are just as effective. The wipes have a lower contact time too.
To combat the issue with jar size, I'm assuming as long as you have a glass jar with a lid, it's safe. But I would double check this with Barbecide just to be on the safe side.

Barbecide here too! I'm sure the UV Rays could eliminate the virus, but I want to be doubly sure!

I’m in beauty but we use UV cabinets and Barbicide too. UV only works where the light hits. Any area shaded isn’t sanitised. Even a Comb is unlikely to be properly sanitised in a UV cabinet because there will be areas deep in the prongs which stay shaded. Light doesn’t go round corners or “seep” into shady bits.

The principles for Barbicide are the same as sterilising baby bottles, you need to scrub everything well because dirt can’t be sanitised and once everything is clean you immerse it in sanitizing solution with no air bubbles. Lids stop contamination (dust, dirt, air borne virus) falling in - and lids help to submerge things that float.

You can use Barbicide in any glass or a hard plastic container, not metal. It stains a bit which is why glass is normally used. If you use your own container, use a proper measure to fill it and calculate the amount of Barbicide accurately. I use nail varnish to mark a fill line for Barbicide and water. As long as everything is properly submerged you can just use clingfilm to stop evaporation. Apart from the cost of the Barbicide there’s no reason why you couldn’t use an aquarium.

You might be interested in Mundo which last for several days unlike Barbicide which needs changing daily. It last 5 days I have a routine - fresh for the start of the week and change at the end of the day on Saturday. So I change twice a week on a fixed day rather than trying to remember a 5 day change routine.

I store my sanitised tools in a UV cabinet which I can flash for peace of mind. We use tools that get damaged in Barbicide if you leave them in too long, so a UV cabinet is handy.

You're not performing medical operations so unless new guidance is issued, your tools don’t need to be sterile, just disinfected as normal.

Once you've thoroughly cleaned your combs and brushes in Barbicide or Mundo, you can keep them in a bag until you need them. I ordinarily use a disinfecting clipper spray on my scissors between clients anyway and ensure I have additional combs and brushes so I use clean tools for each client.

Have a look at Saloncide too.
My scissorsmith recommended it to disinfect scissors,and according to them you can spray literally anything with it, and it takes only 30secs to 2 mins to work.

Latest posts

Back