'barclays' email

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lil Linz

Reaction score
Has anyone else recieved an email from [email protected] saying they need to update their account info by clicking a link in the email? then a second email a few days later from [email protected] saying they have been hacked into and if you entered your account info on the 'bogus' email could you please click the link below and enter your account info to put it right.

I haven't clicked any links in these emails because
1. i reckon they are BOTH scam emails and
2. I DONT EVEN HAVE AN ACCOUNT WITH BARCLAYS!

I did reply to the second email askin where they got my email address from, and why they were contacting me as i dont have an account, but havent had a reply yet :lol:

Was just wondering if anyone else had recieved these at all?

I haven't personally but it does sound like a scam to me.

Teri x:hug:

Its a hoax mail, there was a topic recently similar to this. They are out there for Loyds, Barclays, Paypal, Ebay, you name it if it can scam money its been done. In the 10 years I've had enail I cant tell you how many I have seen especially now credit and debit cards are so widely used online.

:)

My bank wrote to me a few years ago with this advice.

Always delete - never open - if your bank need to contact you they will send you a letter.

yep, received one last week. there is a link on the REAL Barclays site you can forward them to

[email protected]

they will try and chase up the baddies!! don't suppose does much good but at least they get to know the volume of peeps targeted

hth's xx

hi

these sorts of emails are mailed out to millions of people and if only 1% click on link and enter their details - just think how many that potentially could be that they have access to defraud

i work part time for barclays and part of my job is lost and stolen or compromised cards or accounts and you would be surprised how many people still report to us AFTER they have clicked on the link and given all their details - despite all the press advising they these sort of emails are scams it is obviously not enough given the amount of times it still happens

banks would never request this sort of info from customers by email - it is good that people are highlighting it on forums like this

nicola
x

There are numerous ones around atm and I seem to get them all. I get job offers from Costa Coffee and the RAC asking me to take payments of thousands of dollares and keep 10% and trasfer the rest to them via Western Union.

I get about 10 a day saying I have won millions of pounds, the most I have "won" is about 50 mill in one day so I guess the beer is on me hehe.

Tonight I got the same e-mail 10 times, one after the other so I forwarded it back to them, all 10 copies, and hopefully it will junk up their inbox!!!!

I have had quite a few from Natoinwide, Barclays and online lottery too saying Ive won loads.
I phone my bank and got the email address of where to forward the scam email to for them to investigate.

These emails are what is known as 'PHISHING' in computer lingo.

DO NOT CLICK ON THE LINK !! opening the email will not harm you but the link they ask you to click on will allow them to know who you are.
DO NOT REPLY to the email either!

You can BLOCK the email addresses of these senders. The option should be on your email tool bar.

I have had many of these that come through on my Nails Only Email account
therefore they are scammers that have bought lists of new businesses from the companies we list our business with on the internet like freelisings on google - I have had phone calls too, but only on by business line and when they ask about personal stuff I know that they should have called my home line and that gives it away!

HTH's

I received one in March from the Halifax or so I thought. I only put one of my passwords into the email and as soon as I sent it I realised it was a bogus email. I contacted my bank straight away and they put restrictions on my account. They still managed to get some money though for which I have been reinbursed by my bank.
I felt really silly as I am usually pretty switched on about things like that but this time I was stupid. There are lots of these emails going around which enables these people to fraudulently access peoples accounts. A warning to us all to be careful.x

I think as someone else said, your banks, no matter if you have internet banking or not, will never send an email asking for you to enter or change vital information. Ebay, Paypal and other such institutions say the same. You will get a letter by post.

If you hover your mouse over the links in the emails you should be able to see the actual addresses behind them with out clicking. My security filter dissables all that but I can still opt to see if I want to.

I got one last week and I forwarded it straight to that email address.

The look of it was credible......... What made me weary was that it was so badly written.
I read it over a couple of times and concluded that either it was a scam or Barclays have started employing three year olds!

Barclays got back to me saying that they are looking into it... not sure if they will tell me either way?
Their advice was if you ever get an email that you're unsure of, don't click any links, report it and then delete it.

Latest posts

Back