Base coat not curing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am 4 months into my training to be a nail technician. Someone at my local suppliers recommended this site. So I've just started practising gel polish application. I'm using coscelia gel polish as didn't want to spend to much to just practise with ( although this may be my problem). So my base coat just doesn't seem to cure under my uv light. I'm curing for 2-3 mins and nothing. My colours and top coat are curing fine just not my base coat. What am I doing wrong?? Please help an eager Nail tech in training...

Hello. Does anyone have any advice??

Hello. Does anyone have any advice??

In order to understand why products don't work, or why base coats don't cure, you have to understand how products are made and you have to understand business. To which I will explain.

When it comes to most nail products like gel, most are not very well made. There is alot of stuff you have to do when you formulate a gel in order to have it work correctly. And without a research department in the company, it's impossible to know what to do. Most "companies" do not have a research department and consist of a one man band.

That is why alot of products act funny. They break down prematurely, they burn, they discolor, they don't cure, etc. And they have a high chance of causing allergies.

That is why I always recommend cnd products. What I've seen from this company is nothing short of amazing. And it's why I always dismiss other brands because the level of knowledge needed to get on CNDs level is unreachable for other brands. Its important to understand that this is just an educated assumption based on my knowledge and from what I've seen. Im not saying its a fact that other brands cannot be made properly. Its just that there's a very low chance because of basic hurdles these small companies must overcome. OPI is the other brand I recommend. But even they cannot make some of their products correctly. I seen this firsthand. Another fact that you should know is that a chemist from CND quit to work at OPI.

That is speaking on product formulation. Now I will speak on the business side.

Making your own line of product isn't very expensive. Most will buy a formula that is already made or they will rebrand it. So what you have are companies who are not really formulating anything on their own. To do so, requires a great deal of knowledge and money, which can run into the millions. Most of these low quality products don't bring in that much money, but enough to make profit because the buy in is so cheap. So it doesn't make sense to put in a large amount money for proper formulation. And so what you see on the market is the result of what I just explained.

Techniques plays a part in how well a product will act, too. For example, most don't understand that you have to use the same nail lamp brand made with that gel. But most products on the market are so low quality, it doesn't matter if you do this.

Last edited:
I'm just using the lamp that came with the set. So the polishes and lamp came together with some files. Like I say I'm only 4 months into training so don't really know that much yet...but I am trying xx

As a newbie eager to get going, I’d suggest that you continue with your training before being tempted to experiment with different systems. Although it may seem all systems are the same, they are not and require different methods and different lamps.

Also, you may start to pick up bad habits, so it is better to train the right way and be guided by educators as opposed to maybe referring online videos.

Stick with professional systems as well, for proper customer service, assistance and advice.

Hope the above helps.

Hi everyone. I am 4 months into my training to be a nail technician. Someone at my local suppliers recommended this site. So I've just started practising gel polish application. I'm using coscelia gel polish as didn't want to spend to much to just practise with ( although this may be my problem). So my base coat just doesn't seem to cure under my uv light. I'm curing for 2-3 mins and nothing. My colours and top coat are curing fine just not my base coat. What am I doing wrong?? Please help an eager Nail tech in training...

I have never heard of that polish i use Cnd and very happy with it don't you have someone you can message to help you!

Are you it’s not the tacky layer ?

What makes you think it's not curing?
Just asking as I've heard people ask this question before and its just been the inhibition layer xx

Having not heard of this brand, I have just googled it.
It seems to be an American brand that sells to the public rather than qualified nail techs working professionally.

Their site states:
"This brand is settled in global online marketing platforms such as Amazon, Aliexpress, Ebay and so on to reach consumers."

There is no information on chemical composition of their products as far as I can see.

My advice would be to steer clear of this brand if only to avoid potentially developing allergies to gel ingredients (check out the threads on here about allergies to gels).
You would be better to practice with the brand you are using on your course. I'm guessing you already have a kit with your course to practice on family?
When you qualify you can then do a product training workshop in any brand you like. In the mean time just research the different companies rather than spending money on cheap stuff off ebay. Buy once, buy right.

Good luck with your course.

There are so many brands out there! Often trainees chose a brand because you may think looks like a good deal, without knowing much about the product itself. Ur supplier did, however, send you on the right road by recommending this site!

Stick with your course for a little longer. See what products they are using and decide if you like them, before experimenting with others at this stage. Once you understand more about the process, you will be able to make an informed choice about your brand.

I second CND, but lots of techs will give you lots of other options too.

If you speak to your tutor, you will be able to show them, in person, what you mean, by thinking the base coat is not curing. She/he will be able to guide you on whether you are applying correctly, etc.

There are so many brands out there! Often the staff at suppliers are not always qualified in a particular field, so they may guide you to what they think looks like a good deal, without knowing much about the product itself. They did, however, send you on the right road by recommending this site! Stick with your course for a little longer. See what products they are using and decide if you like them, before experimenting with others at this stage. Once you understand more about the process, you will be able to make an informed choice about your brand.

I second CND, but lots of techs will give you lots of other options too.

What do you mean ‘the base coat isn’t curing’? it’s supposed to be tacky to insure adhesion with Polish. Over curing doesn’t solve anything.
Re-read your directions and follow them.

Thanks to everyone that replied. I've learnt about the inhibition layer (tacky layer) but I don't think its that. I think that it isn't cured because the base coat feels wet not sticky. The colours feel just sticky but dry and the top coat is a non wipe so thats fine. I only bought this cheap set to practice with on my practice hand/fingers. I would never use this on natural nails or a paying client. I realise I still have a lot to learn to consider myself a nail technician though. I need to look into Cnd then as that seems to mentioned alot on other post.

Oh also forgot to mention. Havent been able to see my tutor because of covid. I've sent her a video a d some pictures today so I'm hoping to hear back soon 🙏

Thanks to everyone that replied. I've learnt about the inhibition layer (tacky layer) but I don't think its that. I think that it isn't cured because the base coat feels wet not sticky. The colours feel just sticky but dry and the top coat is a non wipe so thats fine. I only bought this cheap set to practice with on my practice hand/fingers. I would never use this on natural nails or a paying client. I realise I still have a lot to learn to consider myself a nail technician though. I need to look into Cnd then as that seems to mentioned alot on other post.

CND products are pretty expensive imo. Which is why a lot of techs and businesses avoid it. The brand is higher class and should be treated that way.

Sometimes I see CND products on the shelf with lower quality products and it brings down the value and effort that goes into CND products.

If you decide to get professional products, I highly recommend the CND lamp, CND creative play gel, Shellac. That should get you set for years to come. If you buy other brands, you'll encounter alot of problems.

I was privileged to ‘beta’ test gel products from CND in 1986. You wouldn’t believe the first curing system and the gel in a squeeze tube.

How fortunate we are to have companies that have put millions of dollars in R & D, all for our benefit, because if techs don’t use the product, the company doesn’t prosper.

You always want your doctor, dentist, chef, therapist, et al, to use the best instruments and products on you. You pay for the quality of the service and the tools used. It’s no different in the beauty business. We need the best shears, brushes, shampoo, gel polish, etc., to make our work easier and the results outstanding.

The quality and the price are not always comparable. I’ve had shears costing 100’s and some that cut lovely at 75$.
Learning to find ‘your’ best product is unfortunately trial and error quite a bit of the time. The first person I worked for had a storeroom full of mostly unused products. Her philosophy was: Try it out, you never know when it’s the next great product!

While I was waxing nostalgic, I really forgot the most important thing.

The base coat will be wet. The tacky, inhibition layer is a ‘leftover’ of the curing process of polish and top coat. The base coat is entirely different.

Latest posts

Back