Base coat/Top coat on nail enhancement?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MLNails

Reaction score
Hi,
Is it necessary to put a base coat on acrylic or gel before nail enamel? Will the enhancement discolour? Also at the end is a top coat beneficial?
Thanks guys
MLNails

I prefer to use a top coat on enhancements, I use a uv30 top coat, I don't use a base coat, you do not have to use a top coat if you are good at buffing to a high shine, it is preference I think. if you put base coat/topcoat in the search bar I am sure you will find some thing on there that other geeks have discussed on this, hope this helps.

A base coat is used to anchor the polish to the nail be it natural or enhanced. Applying a basecoat also makes the polish go on much more smoothly and evenly. A base coat should be soft and sticky ... a base coat does not prevent discolouration (myth).

A top coat is used to protect the polish from wear be it natural or enhanced. A top coat should be hard and durable and very shiny.

Polish will last longer on any client if you use them all. Why wouldn't you? The client is paying for a a job that lasts ... we should be giving them that, not 'short cutting' what should be a professional service.

A base coat is used to anchor the polish to the nail be it natural or enhanced. A base coat should be soft and sticky ... a base coat does not prevent discolouration (myth).

A top coat is used to protect the polish from wear be it natural or enhanced. A top coat should be hard and durable and very shiny.

Polish will last longer on any client if you use them all. Why wouldn't you? The client is paying for a a job that lasts ... we should be giving them that, not 'short cutting' what should be a professional service.

I'm speechless, I really thought that it did, thanks Gigi

I dont apply anything to buffed nails...EVER! I can create a high shine with my girlfriend, so it seems pointless to apply a top coat? jmho!!

xx

I only use topcoat when I polish enhancements; I don't use basecoat, as the polish, in my experience, sticks very well to the artificial surface. But if the client doesn't want polish, I either buff to a shine, or use UV finishing gloss. I use basecoat on natural nails without fail, however. :)

Thanks for your replys. I always apply a base and top on natural nails but I was just curious what your comments would be re: enhancements. We had a trade show at the Gold Coast last weekend and I bought some georgous Creative nail enamels. Thinking about it now I should have bought their base and top coat!

Thanks again.

Bye for now
MLNails

Latest posts

Back