Basic artificial nail course requirements

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm planning to write a piece for Scratch based on the replies this thread has generated (not the actual replies but the difficulty in knowing where to start)

Trouble is how does that info get to people who are just starting and don't know where to look?? Any ideas?

I'm planning to write a piece for Scratch based on the replies this thread has generated (not the actual replies but the difficulty in knowing where to start)

Trouble is how does that info get to people who are just starting and don't know where to look?? Any ideas?

Sadly, it won't get to the public through an article in a trade magazine.

I still think your best bet is the internet and most likely THIS SITE. When the people who have already made the mistakes read it in SCRATCH then post the article on here, Marian and we'll make it a 'sticky'. xxx

This is a good thread, could have used it when i was looking at courses, everyone seems to have different opinions.
The course i chose was with pinks academy in Tamworth, i chose it because it breaks each part of this into sections and different courses, manicure, pedicure, one system extension, conversion courses, trouble shooting and infills and advanced sculpting.
I like the idea of this because once i was confident with manicures i went onto extentions and then done a gel conversion, my next one is the sculpting, i think its good to ensure that you are good at the basics before trying to do the works!
I don't understand how anyone can believe that a one week course will teach them all they need to know and will be able to create great nails!!

I want to offer nail extension courses at my salon, but want it to be a thorough course with natioanl recognition. How should I choose an appropriate trainer who is qualified to tutor such a course?

There are so many threads on here that question the content of the writers courses. Students don't feel equipped to provide services for paying clients.

As a very basic requirement, those taking a course in artificial nails must cover:
-understanding of the natural nail (if a manicure qualification is not already achieved)
-anatomy and physiology of the nail unit
-basic chemical processes of the system being studied (1 system only)
-contra indications and contra actions
-tip application
-overlay application (1 system only)
-natural nail overlays
-sculptured nails
-maintenance (infills and rebalances)
-removal

This should all be a mixture of theoretical and practical learning. The practical skills should NEVER be taught theoretically.

Before taking on paying clients the student MUST work with an absolute minimum of 10 'clients' over a period of time.

I have written 2 text books and am the 'nail expert' for Habia. I am not affiliated with any brand. If any one has taken a course that does not include these basics then it is NOT a good enough course. I am happy to discuss this basic requirement with any trainer or Company.

I welcome any comments and suggestions!

So many newcomers to this industry are confused and at a loss to what is right!!

:green:I can confidently say I do cover all of the original points and more on my courses. But nice to hear someone back them up.

I want to offer nail extension courses at my salon, but want it to be a thorough course with natioanl recognition. How should I choose an appropriate trainer who is qualified to tutor such a course?

That's not an easy question to answer. If it is actual national recognition that you want then you need to contact one of the Awarding Bodies (e.g. City & Guilds or VTCT)

If it is industry recognition the you need to talk to the brands that provide really good training courses.

PM me if you need more info or contact the Industry Authority: Habia.org

cnd came up when i googled it but www.sweetsqared

cnd came up when i googled it but www.sweetsqared

Sweet Squared are the UK Distributers and Education Suppliers for CND so they are the people to talk to about CND education. 0845 210 6060.

My niece took a Nail Technician course and I created a test website for her to help her with her provincial exams. I wonder if it might be worthwhile for other Nail Technician students to make use of it.

It's a free service that Classmarker offers and since I'm retired, I entered all the basic questions from my neice's textbook and her final exams onto this website.

I have one set of exams available without having to bother with registering with the website. This exam has 39 questions on manicuring.
The url is at ClassMarker online testing and quiz maker

If anyone finds it useful and wants to do more exams, they can email me at [email protected] for a key to have access to all the exams. I'll try to respond within 24 hours.

In return, I would appreciate corrections to any mistakes I might have made. Thanks, Marilyn

It is important for anyone before committing to any course, be it an online course or otherwise, to have a full understanding of the course content rather than paying money upfront only to find the course does not cover the necessary training you need.

I have recently done a nail tech course and am completely confused where to go from here. Do I do Gel/acrylic/silk/gel overlays. Which company calgel/biosculpture/opi/nsi etc. Where do you start to decide system to go with as they are all such expensive investments. Too expensive to make the wrong decision!! Any help/advice on products/systems/companies or training would be greatly received.

Thanks everyone who has posted from my original question - its been a big help and more. I have been talking to an at home training company and everything I have thrown back at them they have confirmed they include in their training - they too say a 1-4 day course is not enough to become a true professional!!! i just wish that some of these companies like bio and CND didnt make themselves so unobtainable with what they charge for a beginners course as I feel because of my finances I have to train once to gain experience and then again to be able to trade in the products I really really want to use - catch 22!!!!!!

xxxx

I'm sure an 'at home' course did say they cover everything and they probably do but in theory! Not in practice. A professional nail technician is, essentially, a practical skill and these courses provide little, if any.

They are able to provide 'preparation for work' at best, NOT 'job ready'. Far from!

Private training courses that you mentioned don't make them selves unobtainable! Small, intensive courses that have good and experienced trainers plus a great deal of products are worth money! If this isn't what you can afford then either save up until you can or take a longer course at a college for example at a cost you can afford.

It's life! You may love a pair of Laboutin's but you have to save in order to pay for the instant gratification and quality. When you eventually become qualified and skilled what will you say to the client who wants your services half price because she can't afford what you are worth?

Hi Marian

I totally agree with your post, anything less would be absolutely horrendous for the unsupecting client. Sanitisation and hygiene being of upmost importance too. At Caledonian Therapy Academy we offer all those listed and also offer our students ther option of returning free of charge until they are competent technicians. Classes are also limited to 4 to ensure standard of teaching is at its best. I do not believe that online nail courses can work either asd there is nothing to beat face to face analysis and correction of work. Hopefully one day there will be stricter controls on training standards. As for ourselves all our courses are accredited and we as a team are always evaluating our courses to ensure our students are the best they can be (sorry for the cliche LOL) .

Amanda xx

I have just trained another student who has completed a paperwork only course and they paid so much money for it! But, no practical work unless they could get to Cornwall. To be fair it's not just home learning that causes problems, I find even colleges don't cover the subjects enough or give enough one to one help.

So Habia .... I'm flying the flag for all of us and doing my bit. :lol:

Hi Marian, I am a newbe to nails, recently qualified in Acrylics (Short course), Im having trouble, and hoping for any hints and tips? Nails always seem to look "frosty" and are lumpy? i think its my technique? would appreciate any advise? thanks

Hi all, i did my course with Capital and I loved it!!! it covered everything "mum" said in her first post. We were taught silk/fiberglass, gel and LP. Along with maintenance/infills, and luxury manicure. I was well impressed and left the course feeling very confident.

me too, and i insist they bring models so they can do a full days practice and not spend half their time modelling for other students. they pay for a days training, they get a days training.
there was 6 in my class, just enough in my newbie oppinion. our tutor did spend a bit of time with us individually, which would have may not have been possible if there was anymore of us. Because of the time spent, i felt i learnt alot. Also we dont all run into the same problems, so each student needs a different course/lesson almost, which i imagine is v.difficult for the tutor if there are large numbers.

Hi there, after being made redundant a few months ago I have decided to have a change in career and would like to become a self employed Nail Technician and have no idea how to go about things. I plan to do the Foundation +Brisa Gel course with CND first of all and then practice as much as I can with friends and family before having paying clients and then go back and do as much courses as I can to get more skills and experience, is this the right thing to do? I really dont know the best way to go about it. Thanks Leahanne

I am so fortunate to have attended Indian River State College where everything you mentioned plus more was covered - boy am I lucky.

My course was from September through May two days a week 4 hours each day.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back