Be Careful

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
oh thats awful

Whats happened is really terrible, feel awful for you :hug: You've posted in some ones profile as to which system it is and I just want to say I use that system and the bottle of primer I have is clearly marked as very harmful to skin. In training we were instructed to never let it come into contact with skin and infact to remove the excess from the brush on tissue so as to prevent it seeping onto the skin. Whats happened to you is absolutely dreadful though, I hope you feel better very soon :hug::hug:

Whats happened is really terrible, feel awful for you :hug: You've posted in some ones profile as to which system it is and I just want to say I use that system and the bottle of primer I have is clearly marked as very harmful to skin. In training we were instructed to never let it come into contact with skin and infact to remove the excess from the brush on tissue so as to prevent it seeping onto the skin. Whats happened to you is absolutely dreadful though, I hope you feel better very soon :hug::hug:

My sympathy goes out to you and I hope that you recover soon, and
I think this is a lesson for everyone here, and I am quoting you Min as it proves that as you have done, that you really should get good training in the systems you use ... this will also include the chemistry of EACH product you use, not only for your safety but that of your client too.

I'd also like to add as a postscript in general and not aimed at anyone in this thread ... do we really understand the ingredients on the labels anyway? Maybe, maybe not. But good training by the supplier of your products would tell you exactly how to use the products that you use day in day out and the risks that they pose. If you do not have them, then I suggest that you request MSDS for all your products, and if the supplier doesn't have them then report them, ... and get your products elsewhere.

Last edited:
Judy, does that mean that the product isn't illegal in the US judging by your link?

I think people confuse MAA amd MMA hun x

I think people confuse MAA amd MMA hun x

I agree Judy...I have searched and can only find that MMA is banned in several States of the USA and Canada...but nothing to say MAA methacrlylic acid is banned.

When I first started in nails 10 years ago, even in a short course by an unheard of brand I was still warned of the corrosive qualities of primer and that it had to be used sparingly and carefully. I have never used an acid primer that did not come with a child proof lid on and had the relevant warnings on the label.
I have never touched skin with it or had such a nasty accident like the thread poster. I hope you have a speedy recovery.

I am so sorry you've had such bad burns and had such a scare.

I'm appalled that you were supplied with such a product that had incorrect labelling.

Sharing your experience with a warning is very useful for those on this site.

However, I do agree with what Sass said in her post. There are several issues here that I won't post a whole new text book about!

Action has been taken based on an incorrect label not the fact that it is an acid. Many, many of the products sold here come nowhere near legal labelling. As professionals providing a service to the public, I really believe we should make sure we totally understand exactly what we are using and why and decide if it fits with our individual opinions on suitable nail services. For this we cannot rely on labels. We must rely on suitable training, experience and MSDS.

Methacrylic acid has been used as a primer for a very long time. It is only in recent times that non-acid versions have been developed together with systems that do not need a primer. Personally, I would assume that a 'primer' is an acid unless it says it isn't.

This situation is not right. Lack of policing on products readily for sale and with illegal labels is a fact of life (unfortunately). Like the way the FDA works in the US, the agencies that can change and enforce the legal requirements, only do so when a 'problem' is presented to them that they have to deal with. This may not even spread to the whole of the UK but stay in a specific local authority.

I think that, as professional industry, we accept too much of the marketing 'speak'. We should make sure we have a understanding of what we are using.

We 'do nails' but in doing nails we use some of the most hazardous products in the whole of the cosmetic industry that doesn't need medical supervision. Because it's just nails and qualifications are not necessarily required it is assumed it is all safe. It's not!

You made my blood run cold, what if it had splashed into your eyes?
I have never used an acid primer and will make absolutly serten in future that I never do, all that aside, point taken, I will in future make sure that I read what is in a product and that I understand what the ingredients do.
Completely of this, great ormand street hospital put a lot of faith in using Aloe vera gel on their burns patients, its very soothing, helps the healing speed up and reduces scaring, but don't use on broken skin, it stings worse then TCP:hug:

I am so sorry you've had such bad burns and had such a scare.

I'm appalled that you were supplied with such a product that had incorrect labelling.

Sharing your experience with a warning is very useful for those on this site.

However, I do agree with what Sass said in her post. There are several issues here that I won't post a whole new text book about!

Action has been taken based on an incorrect label not the fact that it is an acid. Many, many of the products sold here come nowhere near legal labelling. As professionals providing a service to the public, I really believe we should make sure we totally understand exactly what we are using and why and decide if it fits with our individual opinions on suitable nail services. For this we cannot rely on labels. We must rely on suitable training, experience and MSDS.

Methacrylic acid has been used as a primer for a very long time. It is only in recent times that non-acid versions have been developed together with systems that do not need a primer. Personally, I would assume that a 'primer' is an acid unless it says it isn't.

This situation is not right. Lack of policing on products readily for sale and with illegal labels is a fact of life (unfortunately). Like the way the FDA works in the US, the agencies that can change and enforce the legal requirements, only do so when a 'problem' is presented to them that they have to deal with. This may not even spread to the whole of the UK but stay in a specific local authority.

I think that, as professional industry, we accept too much of the marketing 'speak'. We should make sure we have a understanding of what we are using.

We 'do nails' but in doing nails we use some of the most hazardous products in the whole of the cosmetic industry that doesn't need medical supervision. Because it's just nails and qualifications are not necessarily required it is assumed it is all safe. It's not!

I totally agree with you Marian.
But I have to say that if someone was to have an accident with certain household products, or if not used correctly, they would have a problem too.
This is why good training and product knowledge is VITAL. x

This is horrible....
My girl friend had an incident 19 years ago (before I started doing nails)
Her primer bottle was spilled on to her pant leg, she continued working, to stay on time.
After a bit her leg got hot and her jeans started smoking.
She told me she immediatly ripped her pants off and ran to the sink to wash her leg. She was lucky, she only ended up with a skin rash. Her "rash" healed completely.
I did the same thing a few years ago, but I did get burnt by it. If I'd done the right thing and immediately washed it I probably wouldn't have been burnt, but I'm tough & had a client sitting in front of me in the middle of having her nails done :lol:. I was lucky though that there are no scars from it.

I agree Judy...I have searched and can only find that MMA is banned in several States of the USA and Canada...but nothing to say MAA methacrlylic acid is banned.

When I first started in nails 10 years ago, even in a short course by an unheard of brand I was still warned of the corrosive qualities of primer and that it had to be used sparingly and carefully. I have never used an acid primer that did not come with a child proof lid on and had the relevant warnings on the label.
I have never touched skin with it or had such a nasty accident like the thread poster. I hope you have a speedy recovery.

I too have been searching on and off all afternoon , and i cant find anything to do with MAA being banned in the USA, i have used primer without any problems and its been labelled correctly etc and i have the appropiate msds to go with it aswell,
I am very surprised to hear tho that a " lead brand " wouldnt have the appropiate labelling/warnings,
I do hope however that you do feel better soon.

huge hugs to you mate...
Let this be a timely reminder that even professionals get hurt.
EXTREME CARE is most important in our industry, which is why i am not only all for educating ourselves but also our clients, they must understand the products we use at times need to be taken seriously.
I see it as a DUTY OF CARE to inform my clients that what i am using should not at anytime come into contact with either of our skin, but is safe to use on the nail plate.
fiddly, jumpy clients get warned that they put us both in danger and need to remain relaxed and still (as much as possible)

This is just another instance that reinforces my attitude that we need to take ourselves and our clients seriously.. there is no room for mistakes, and lets be honest here.. from my point of view, i would be relieved i hurt myself not my client. godforbid i ever do.

professionals lets never get complacent.. un-proffesionals, get informed!

that is awful hope you have a speedy recovery:hug:

omg i am shocked:eek:.i new that primer could possibly burn but i didnt realise just how badly it would.im really sorry to hear about this and i hope you get all the help you need with recovering.all the best:hug:

A terrible thing to happen (you have my sympathy), but we are the ones responsible to ask for MSDS on any products.

Where did you have your primer at the time (are you left handed), i'm trying to make sense of how this could have happened looking at your picture.

Primer is one of the most dangerous chemicals we use and we should all be well versed on the dangers of using it (as shouold have been well stated in your original training).

AS far as it being banned .... i think you may be confused with MMA (a completely different product and chemical). But I would like to see some information in regard to Primer being banned.

Any chemical can be dangerous (hell, water can be dangerous if you submerge yourself in it) as Doug Schoon would say.

I had a nasty primer burn on my leg once (through my jeans), .... just missed the crown jewels, .... (i did nails for the rest of the day in my undies), it has completely healed, it is a surface chemical burn and will heal quite quickly, it's almost like bad sunburn.

If ever you spill primer on yourself, wash immediately with cool water and if you have some nearby pour cold milk over it (this will help neutralise the acid). NO doubt primer will burn skin, but if you wash it off pretty quickly it will just leave a red mark for a few days.

Keep us updated with pics, this happened in Novemeber, can you give us an updated picture please, it's been almost 6 weeks and i'm curious to see how you are going.

If this is such a dangerous product and a well known one, you should be able to name it so we can check out our own labelling etc, different primers have different degrees of Methacrlic Acid, they should all be labelled as such.

Nearly all "lead brands" have the chemicals listed on them. Often primer bottles are very small and the writing on them even smaller.

I'd like this product to be named, so that any of us using this "lead brand" can be informed, educated and learn from your post.

I've also seen non acid primer melt stockings and leave a nasty red mark too.

Something interesting,............. primer may not kill you, .......... but a peanut can.

Hope you get well soon (I'm sure you will).

Last edited:
One time, I was using a 'Lead Brand" of primer. It didn't say on the bottle whether it was acid or non-acid.

I'm not sure how it happened, but a 'drop' landed on my finger that was holding the client's hand, and ran under my finger nail at the free edge. Burned like mad. I rinsed in cold water.. Didn't help. Then I thought for a moment: acid... Use milk. So I put my hand in a small cup of milk for a minute or two. I had remembered reading somewhere that the lactose or whatever in milk neutralizes acid.

That's why I refuse to use primer.
We can be as safe as we like, but accidents do happen, even under the best of circumstances.
I work from home, with 2 small children..........

So, I use protein liquid bonder along with a gel-bonder.... and now have no worries.

The lessons I learned were that
A) next time, ASK when in doubt (which I had, but the person on the phone didn't know, and took a message, but no one called me back and I forgot about it)
B) even when cautious, accidents do happen.

A lot of things in daily life are dangerous when not used correctly. Heck, look at how many maniacs have driver's licenses. :eek: Obviously, I won't stop driving. But making the change from primer to bonder was an easy one for me.

Hi all

I have just been reading through all your comments and many thanks to all those who have wished me well.

As I previously stated the bottle did not state whether or not it was an acid primer. On arrival to my local A&E they immediately took the bottle from me. There are no list of ingredients on there so they did not know exactly what type of burn they were treating. The hospital staff were shocked that only approx 3ml had been spilt on my skin and that it had burnt so much of my body. The picture I posted was of my inner arm, I'm afraid I could not post the others but it got my neck, chest, shoulder, outer arm and under my chin. I thank god it did not land on my face or in my eyes. I had an ultimo bra on which pushes everything up and together so when it went down my top it collected in my cleavage. The bra actually saved it going onto my stomach so the burns on my chest are in the centre and underneath my bust.

The bottle was labelled incorrectly and Trading Standards have removed it from sale. They are the ones that also told me that methacrylic acid is illegal in USA and Canada so I am just quoting what they said.

If I can get back to doing nails again I will not be using a primer again, heck I can't even clean house anymore!!! Husband in total shock lol. A couple of days ago I splashed some flash on my hand whilst doing my worktops, total panic set in, panic attack supreme. I had my hand stuck under the cold water tap for about 15 minutes. It took ages for my poor hubby to calm me down and make me realise that it wasn't burning! (Think I turned into a fruit and nut cake lol).

I am just glad that my post has raised so many questions and concerns.

Take care all
Kindest regards Love |Hez xxxx

It won't let me post any more pictures, sorry. If someone would care to email me at [email protected] i can send them the pictures that you can then put on here. Sorry. x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back