Be Careful

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hezmarie68

Reaction score
Hi all

I wanted to post this thread because if I save just one person from what I have had to go through then it has been worth it.
At the end of November I was doing my friends nails. I have converted to another brand and after using it a few times was utterly convinced that is was brill. I was applying the primer when my friend jumped, this made me jump and the primer spilt on me. Within 2 seconds I felt as if my skin was melting. It was a 10ml bottle and the smallest amount spilt on my skin but I have ended up with 2nd degree burns to my left arm, neck, chest, shoulder and under my chin. I am now under the care of a plastic surgeon. I have never, ever experienced pain like it (would rather give birth 50 times over) and I am now scarred for the rest of my life.
The bottle of primer did not state whether is what acid or non acid and because it did not state this or indeed what the contents were I had no idea and would never have purchased it. I have since contacted trading standards who have withdrawn it from sale. Apparently methacrylic acid is illegal in the USA and Canada but not here in England. Needless to say I will be campaigning for it to be made illegal here.
If you know of anyone who has received an injury, no matter how small, from nail primer please let me know. I would attach some pics of my burns but I do not know how to do it.
Stay safe everyone.
Kindest regards
Love Hez x

Oh My God! What a terrible thing to happen. Thankfully i use a non acid primer. But was unaware of what damage an acid primer could do and to such an extent. Sending love and best wishes to you. I am really sorry to hear this has happened to you. :hug::hug: XXXXX

OMG Thats aweful hun, sending :hug:

Wow that is awful, thanks for the warning.

thanks for the warning....i really do hope you feel better soon hun xxxlots of :hug::hug: your way xxx

this is quite shocking.
was it a faulty batch or a particularly strong formula. wouldnt most brands be properly tested and labelled.

OMG, that's just too terrible for words.

Sending lots of :hug::hug: for you.

this is quite shocking.
was it a faulty batch or a particularly strong formula. wouldnt most brands be properly tested and labelled.

I too think its very shocking , and was thinking along the same lines as you , because i thought that theres quite a few companies that use that in their primers ( forgive me if im wrong ) and ive never heard of such a horrible thing happening to someone. :eek:
All brands of primer that ive used have been labelled and ive always had the msds to go with it ...... hope you feel better soon tho....

Hazel

Hi all

I wanted to post this thread because if I save just one person from what I have had to go through then it has been worth it.
At the end of November I was doing my friends nails. I have converted to another brand and after using it a few times was utterly convinced that is was brill. I was applying the primer when my friend jumped, this made me jump and the primer spilt on me. Within 2 seconds I felt as if my skin was melting. It was a 10ml bottle and the smallest amount spilt on my skin but I have ended up with 2nd degree burns to my left arm, neck, chest, shoulder and under my chin. I am now under the care of a plastic surgeon. I have never, ever experienced pain like it (would rather give birth 50 times over) and I am now scarred for the rest of my life.
The bottle of primer did not state whether is what acid or non acid and because it did not state this or indeed what the contents were I had no idea and would never have purchased it. I have since contacted trading standards who have withdrawn it from sale. Apparently methacrylic acid is illegal in the USA and Canada but not here in England. Needless to say I will be campaigning for it to be made illegal here.
If you know of anyone who has received an injury, no matter how small, from nail primer please let me know. I would attach some pics of my burns but I do not know how to do it.
Stay safe everyone.
Kindest regards
Love Hez x
Hi Hun,
So awful. I use NSI acid free primer.
Hope you feel better soon. Lotsa luv x :hug:

Oh My Goddess Many :hug::hug: too you!! I live in the states i have heard of this but when i was younger (like 70's) Bright Blessings to you and your client!!

Hi
Thank you everybody for your warm wishes and kind words. Methacrylic acid is a banned substance in the USA and Canada although I can't tell you at the moment which brand it is (but it is one of the leaders) it is manufactured in the USA.

The bottle just said nail primer on it and because its one of the leaders I thought no more of it. There were no ingredients listed on the bottle and Trading Standards have removed it from sale because it is not labelled correctly nor has any instructions or warnings. In England anything containing methacrylic acid should have a corrosive and a harmful warning sticker on it, the bottle had neither!

I have not been able to get back into doing nails yet, to afraid. I am constantly looking at everything around my home to see what is in it and what labels on on there. I suppose its all part of the healing process and guess I am still in shock as to how much damage a small amount of liquid can do. I just wish I knew how to post pics and then I could emphasise more the damage.

Once again thank you all.
Love Hez xxxxx

crikey! all the best for a speedy recovery xx

I think I have managed to post some pics on geek gallery. Clicked on navigation, then geek gallery, nails, burns.

Oh my goodness!!! That looks so sore! Poor you. Hope you get it sorted in everyway. xxx

Sending you hugs for a speedy recovery! I hope you get it sorted!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:hug:

Hope you feel better soon hun x

That looks so painful. I do hope you get better soon:hug::hug::hug:

You are all so kind. Thank you. I could only post the one picture because it wouldn't let me do the rest. Thank you everyone and I just hope you are all looking through your stuff now and throwing the methacrylic acid primers away!!!! Then I know it will have been worth while posting this thread. Take care all Love Hez xxxxx

This is horrible....
My girl friend had an incident 19 years ago (before I started doing nails)
Her primer bottle was spilled on to her pant leg, she continued working, to stay on time.
After a bit her leg got hot and her jeans started smoking.
She told me she immediatly ripped her pants off and ran to the sink to wash her leg. She was lucky, she only ended up with a skin rash. Her "rash" healed completely.
I switched to acid fee primer (Young Nail Protein Bond) and the change is good.
I was told by two manufactures that "acid" primers were going to be taken off the market.
Ive seen primer bottles placed in a wood/cut-out to avoid tipping the bottle.
Placed in a polish tilter or a foam/sponge holder. I have knocked my primer over a time or two while inside my polish holder, thinking I can get away with it because it doesnt contain acid. :eek: I need to be more careful, with, no matter what I spill!!
I hope you have a speedy recovery, get better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back