Be Careful

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is horrible....
My girl friend had an incident 19 years ago (before I started doing nails)
Her primer bottle was spilled on to her pant leg, she continued working, to stay on time.
After a bit her leg got hot and her jeans started smoking.
She told me she immediatly ripped her pants off and ran to the sink to wash her leg. She was lucky, she only ended up with a skin rash. Her "rash" healed completely.
I switched to acid fee primer (Young Nail Protein Bond) and the change is good.
I was told by two manufactures that "acid" primers were going to be taken off the market.
Ive seen primer bottles placed in a wood/cut-out to avoid tipping the bottle.
Placed in a polish tilter or a foam/sponge holder. I have knocked my primer over a time or two while inside my polish holder, thinking I can get away with it because it doesnt contain acid. :eek: I need to be more careful, with, no matter what I spill!!
I hope you have a speedy recovery, get better.

I like this lady now only use (Young Nails Protein Bond) which is acid free.

I have also at one time or another knocked the bottle over and because the product protein based I have had no problems.

I hope you feel better soon honey sending you big:hug:

Whilst I feel sorry for what has happened, this is not the place to name and shame.

We do not necessairly have all the facts and it is inapporpriate to be using the site to potentially damage another company's reputation when they are not able to defend themselves.

Please bear this in mind when posting!

Hi all

I have just been reading through all your comments and many thanks to all those who have wished me well.

As I previously stated the bottle did not state whether or not it was an acid primer. On arrival to my local A&E they immediately took the bottle from me. There are no list of ingredients on there so they did not know exactly what type of burn they were treating. Did you not understand about primer from your training? Did you understand about how to apply it and the dangers of it coming in contact with skin? Did you ask for MSDS safety sheets when you purchased your products so you knew exactly what you were dealing with?
The hospital staff were shocked that only approx 3ml had been spilt on my skin and that it had burnt so much of my body. The picture I posted was of my inner arm, I'm afraid I could not post the others but it got my neck, chest, shoulder, outer arm and under my chin. I thank god it did not land on my face or in my eyes. I had an ultimo bra on which pushes everything up and together so when it went down my top it collected in my cleavage. The bra actually saved it going onto my stomach so the burns on my chest are in the centre and underneath my bust.

The bottle was labelled incorrectly and Trading Standards have removed it from sale. They are the ones that also told me that methacrylic acid is illegal in USA and Canada so I am just quoting what they said.
I think trading standards are also confused about MMA and MAA here. And wrong...I can't comment on the labelling as I've not got a bottle available to look at.

If I can get back to doing nails again I will not be using a primer again, primer is fine if used correctly. Did you use it as you were trained?
heck I can't even clean house anymore!!! Husband in total shock lol. A couple of days ago I splashed some flash on my hand whilst doing my worktops, total panic set in, panic attack supreme. I had my hand stuck under the cold water tap for about 15 minutes. It took ages for my poor hubby to calm me down and make me realise that it wasn't burning! (Think I turned into a fruit and nut cake lol).

I am just glad that my post has raised so many questions and concerns.

Take care all
Kindest regards Love |Hez xxxx

If you do begin a career in the nail industry please be careful and use your products as trained hun so you don't have any more accidents x

Hi
I just wish I knew how to post pics and then I could emphasise more the damage.

Have you tried making an album in myspace or any of them and then put a link in your post here

BTW that is an awfull thing that happend and I hope you feel better soon:hug::hug::hug:

Hope you feel better soon :hug:.

Thanks for being brave enough to let us all know what happened.

Take care,
Luv Mrs Bean xxxx:green::)

OMG... that looks realy painfull!

I never use primer... never had to! scrubfresh does the trick for me!

hope you get better soon. xx

Hi
Just to reply to natural nails post. I am qualified and it is not my intention to name and shame anyone. As my original post said if I can save just one other person OR CLIENT from going through this then this will have all be worthwhile. I am not just Joe Bloggs from the street who decided to give it a go, I have done my training courses etc and been doing nails for a while.
To all those who have wished me well a big thank you. This product has scarred me for the rest of my life, it is not a rash that will go away. When the product splashed on my skin I had cold water running on the burns for about 30 minutes before I went to A&E. It was not labelled correctly, has been removed from the shelves and SO IT SHOULD BE. My posting this thread has obvioulsy had an impact and raised a lot of questions (I am glad because it may just save someone else from going through this). It is now 6 weeks since the accident and the burns have healed but left me with scarring. Not only the physical scars but the mental ones as well.
I DO NOT WANT TO NAME AND SHAME, that is upto my solicitor and Trading standards, all I wanted was to warn others out there and where better to do it than here.
xxx

Just to clarify, we do not actually give the name of products in cases like this on the forum. Firstly because often the manufacturer's are not aware of this site and so unable to give their input which is hardly fair. But mainly because Sam, the owner of this site, could end up with a nasty lawsuit. Hope you understand.

As the product has been withdrawn from sale now I guess it is irrelevant to name them at all now, however should someone really want to know I guess they could pm Hezmarie in case they are currently using it.

Happy geeking!

Hi Hez

I'm glad you are healing but not surprised you are a bit traumatised by the the whole thing! Its great that you have posted this on the site because it has made me reflect on how much I know about Primers......and I definitely need a bit of a recap in this area.

Just because I learned something once doesnt mean I always remember it. Its good for everyone to go back over things every now and then. I've posted another thread called 'Science Question - Primer' to help with this.

It sounds like this was a bit of a freak accident and luckily doesnt happen very often to this degree but it seems alot of techs have had run-ins with Primers!!!

Thanks again.xx

Hi
Just to reply to natural nails post. I am qualified and it is not my intention to name and shame anyone. As my original post said if I can save just one other person OR CLIENT from going through this then this will have all be worthwhile. I am not just Joe Bloggs from the street who decided to give it a go, I have done my training courses etc and been doing nails for a while.
I'm still unsure who you took your training courses with??
Perhaps you could pm me if you would prefer?

To all those who have wished me well a big thank you. This product has scarred me for the rest of my life, it is not a rash that will go away. When the product splashed on my skin I had cold water running on the burns for about 30 minutes before I went to A&E. It was not labelled correctly, has been removed from the shelves and SO IT SHOULD BE.
I still must stress that the use of any product is down to the tech and the training they receive. One of the first things you should learn in your BASIC training is the use of primer and the dangers involved if used incorrectly.

My posting this thread has obvioulsy had an impact and raised a lot of questions (I am glad because it may just save someone else from going through this). It is now 6 weeks since the accident and the burns have healed but left me with scarring. Not only the physical scars but the mental ones as well.
I DO NOT WANT TO NAME AND SHAME, that is upto my solicitor and Trading standards, all I wanted was to warn others out there and where better to do it than here.
xxx

Hope this clarifies the matter and if you have any queries please feel free to contact me further by PM.
Hope you make a recovery soon after your unfortunate accident. :hug:

Hi all

Well its now 5 months since the accident with the primer and I am still under the burns unit at the hospital. I have substantial scarring to my left arm, chest and shoulder but the burn on my neck has faded a bit and I can manage to cover it with heavy makeup.

I wanted to let you all know that the company have accepted full liability for my accident. When the product was tested it was found that the ingredients listed on the msd only accounted for 50%! Extensive testing has been carried out to find out what the other 50% is!!!!!! I know some geeks have posted about msd's but don't believe all that you read on them because as in my case it is not accurate.

Someone mentioned about household products and accidents with them. I can tell you all that I am paranoid about anything and everything now and look at labelling and ingredients etc. On my household cleaning products there are labels and if I came across any that had no label I would not use it!!!!!!

The product is still off the shelves which is good and trading standards have instructed them to recall the product also (also people who have trained with them).

Once again thank you all for your support and kind words.
Take care Love Hez xxxxx

omg that shocking.hope you better soon hun.:hug::hug:
xxsandraxx

Hi all

Apparently methacrylic acid is illegal in the USA and Canada but not here in England. Love Hez x

Sorry about what happened to you, but Methacrylic acid primers are not banned in the US or Canada. They are still avilable and many nail tech still use them, however Non-acid and Acid Free primers are becoming more popular.

After reading this shocking story I feel I should add my own as I was unaware of the dangers of the product that I got burnt with, as Im sure not many people are.

About 18 months ago I accidentally knocked a bottle of nail glue off my nail table and onto my foot, and only a small amount leaked out onto my sock, within about 2 seconds there was SMOKE coming off my foot and the glue was bonding to my skin as it was burning it, I had to rip the sock off and take my burning skin with it. It was extremely painful and I found it hard to walk for a week or so afterwards. I am now left with a scar the size of a 10p on the top of my foot.

I had absolutely no idea nail glue could have this kind of reaction. x x

I am quite shocked to read just how many of you know so little about your products.

This whole thread has irked me slightly because once again it is just another example of people who do not take responsibility for their own actions and blame others.

No chemicals are unsafe to use if you use them with knowledge and if you do not, then more fool you.

MSDS may not list all ingredients, but they list what to do in an accident, how to store and how to use products safely ... do you have them in your place of work ?? (YOU are by law supposed to :!:) Have you ever read them to learn what to do in case of an accident or spillage?? (you are supposed to :!:).

A spillage is YOUR fault. Not the fault of the manufacturer and if the product had been labelled correctly, I doubt it would have been read anyway. If training is good training you would have had all these products explained to you. You would have known how to rinse your skin off with milk ... etc etc.

As to the person who nearly got something in her eye ... did no one ever explain to you that you should wear safety glasses or some eye protection?? All these things are taught on CND classes from day 1 so no one is in any doubt. All the safety info regarding using proper extraction ventilation (and just how many take any notice of THAT). You want it both ways. When you are given the right and safe information you take no notice anyway. So few have a professional outlook or mentality. No wonder the nail business is held in such low esteme by so many.

Hi all

I wanted to post this thread because if I save just one person from what I have had to go through then it has been worth it.
At the end of November I was doing my friends nails. I have converted to another brand and after using it a few times was utterly convinced that is was brill. I was applying the primer when my friend jumped, this made me jump and the primer spilt on me. Within 2 seconds I felt as if my skin was melting. It was a 10ml bottle and the smallest amount spilt on my skin but I have ended up with 2nd degree burns to my left arm, neck, chest, shoulder and under my chin. I am now under the care of a plastic surgeon. I have never, ever experienced pain like it (would rather give birth 50 times over) and I am now scarred for the rest of my life.
The bottle of primer did not state whether is what acid or non acid and because it did not state this or indeed what the contents were I had no idea and would never have purchased it. I have since contacted trading standards who have withdrawn it from sale. Apparently methacrylic acid is illegal in the USA and Canada but not here in England. Needless to say I will be campaigning for it to be made illegal here.
If you know of anyone who has received an injury, no matter how small, from nail primer please let me know. I would attach some pics of my burns but I do not know how to do it.
Stay safe everyone.
Kindest regards
Love Hez x

OMG, hun i really hope you are feeling better. That is such an awful thing to happen :hug:

Thank you so much for posting this as i had no idea that this ingredient did that, i have just been looking through all of my supplies and fortunatley the primer i use is acid free, however i checked the bottle of a primer that a friend gave me and the main ingredient is methacrylic acid!!!! Needless to say it went straight in the bin!!!!

Thank you so much for saving me and perhaps one of my clients.

:hug::hug::hug:

OMG, hun i really hope you are feeling better. That is such an awful thing to happen :hug:

Thank you so much for posting this as i had no idea that this ingredient did that, i have just been looking through all of my supplies and fortunatley the primer i use is acid free, however i checked the bottle of a primer that a friend gave me and the main ingredient is methacrylic acid!!!! Needless to say it went straight in the bin!!!!

Thank you so much for saving me and perhaps one of my clients.

:hug::hug::hug:

Saving you from what? I'm sorry but that is just a tad dramatic. My system uses a Methacrylic Acid primer and I have never injured myself or anyone else with it. My training covered every aspect of the product and its use and what to do in the unhappy event any of it should be spilled or come into contact with skin.

I dont mean this next bit for you personally but as a general observation. If any tech took a bottle of primer from anyone and didn't know what was in it before use I'd say the clients need protecting from the tech as that is just so wrong on every level in my view. It's just dangerous to not have any idea what you are using, let alone if its compatible with your system.

Saving you from what? I'm sorry but that is just a tad dramatic. My system uses a Methacrylic Acid primer and I have never injured myself or anyone else with it. My training covered every aspect of the product and its use and what to do in the unhappy event any of it should be spilled or come into contact with skin.

I dont mean this next bit for you personally but as a general observation. If any tech took a bottle of primer from anyone and didn't know what was in it before use I'd say the clients need protecting from the tech as that is just so wrong on every level in my view. It's just dangerous to not have any idea what you are using, let alone if its compatible with your system.

To be honest, I think this whole thread is more than a tad dramatic and so do all the professionals I have been speaking to. It smells fishy to me.

Throw a perfectly good bottle of primer in the bin?? Ridiculous. It is a perfectly good product and a perfectly safe product when used professionally.

Lemon juice is acid folks ... doesn't make it unsafe to drink but you wouldn't like to squirt it in your eyes would you? I know :!:, lets ban the sale of lemons so some poor fool doesn't get it in their eyes why don't we!!.

Next thing will be monomer ... going to throw that in the bin because some idiot drank some and got sick from it??? Lord protect me from the ignorant.

Having not used an acid primer and seeing the burns that it has caused (acidents do happen to the best of us) i would not like to use a product that could do that to me or my clients. Just my personal preference.

When my friend gave up nails (2 weeks ago) she gave me a box of her products as she uses the same company as i do, as there are different things from different systems (within the same product range) i have not used any as yet and would not have done without looking into each system in more depth.

All i was trying to say is that this post prompted me to have a look at what she had given me and i found it.

xx

I really did not mean to offend or irritate anyone! It is just my preference and i would rather stick to the acid free primer i have been using.

xx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back