Beautician on TV...worried she doesn't look good enough for clients

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fab Freak

Reaction score
This week on 10 years younger, Gill is a beautician and is not happy the poor love is 38 but looks on average 52,

Anyway reason she's concerned is that she dosn't look good enough for her clients which made me think how important it is too look good for your clients.

It made me thing and I know it's one of the reasons i'm trying to lose weight as I FEEl that i look better slimmer and I think it's important to look good not saying slimmer is better overall but I feel better when i'm slimmer but do you try and look your best for your clients (after you look good for yourself of course)?

Hi,

At college we told over and over again "always try to make it look natural" whether it be eyelash tinting, EB shaping, perming etc etc, I think the best way you can promote your service is by making the best of yourself. (from a personal point of view i always feel much more condifident within myself if i feel i am looking good)

Afterall we are all in this game and it is our business to make people beautiful. I think that you should always accentuate (sp) the postive and build on the foundations you already have and enhance them, whether that be yourself or a client.

(obviously if they want the pammy anderson nails and tan - i will happily oblige - if it makes the client happy and they go away happy - it makes me happy!):green:

I was always taught not to wear too much make-up while working and to have my hair neat. I do tend to try and not look like I have just stepped out of bed and think that apperance in our profession is important :)

I always make a very conscious effort with my appearance,It's extremely important to me.

I watch my weight and make sure my make up is immaculate for work,eyebrows tidy,nails clean and manicured etc.

When a client comes into the salon,they dont want to see someone who hasn't made an effort with their appearance,no make -up etc.(unless the therapist is fortunate enough not to need any,and lets be honest there's not many of us lucky enough to look fantastic without it,lol.:green:

Quite often I have ladies that will say they want the same brow shape as mine,or their make-up done like mine.

We are adverts for our profession,as a hairdresser is for hers or a nail tech is for hers/his.I look after my skin and I always take pride in my appearance.

It's important to me to make an effort with my appearance when I'm working because it gives me more confidence. I can't very well recommend, for example, a manicure to someone if my own nails are a state. Hopefully it also gives my clients more confidence in me, as they can see the results of having a particular treatment.

Definitely make an effort with my appearance for the clients, if i walked into a salon and the therapist looked a state i would cancel on the spot and politely explain why.
I know this isn't a very nice thing to do but if she looks a state how do i know she and the salon is clean and sanitary, jmho

I think its very important, I nearly always wear make-up to work, whereas at home I don't.
I make sure my clothes are spotless and even have a toothbrush at work to brush my teeth if I eat something incase I've left evidence on my teeth, LOL.
My nails are terrible at the moment and I'm really conscious of that and intend to get them done this weekend.

I have put on quite a bit of weight lately. Not feeling confident about the way i look seems to be filtering into every other part of my life.
Want to loose weight, really do, just havent got any drive to do it! Pathetic really.

I think the way you present yourself in this industry is very important. If you look a state, people are not going to want to come to you to make them look / feel better.

I
I think the way you present yourself in this industry is very important. If you look a state, people are not going to want to come to you to make them look / feel better.

Spot on Jess

I think you should be clean tidy and presentable, but apart from that I don't think the clients are concerned about how old you look, just about how well you do your job.

I think you should be clean tidy and presentable, but apart from that I don't think the clients are concerned about how old you look, just about how well you do your job.
I think quite often a client prefers the more mature therapist,more people skills,life skills,a better understanding of the affects of ageing on the body and mind and above all, more experience in the beauty/nail industry not just a certificate and only a couple of dozen treatments up their sleeves.

I think alot has to do with
how well you look, not how old you look

Funny we were having a similar conversation in college the other night. One of the ladies, who is by her own description is very large, was saying that she would never go to a therapist who was 'too' perfect, skinny, young etc (everything she feels that she isn't) She would feel more comfortable with someone more normal, and someone who was older.

I personally believe that a Therapist should always look her best. So this lady has a right to be concerned about her looks.

After all, we are an advertisement for the beauty industry. Can you imagine preaching to somone about skin, if our faces are full of spots, nails when ours are not tidy, brows when ours are busy and the list can go on! I certainly would look at Therapist's overall appearance if I do go into a salon.

It takes time, to look good, but finding the time to do so is really important. JMO

Latest posts

Back