Beauty | Animal Rights Protester Agrees To Ten Hours of Torture

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Ed.

Reaction score
Last week we reported on Lush’s new campaign, in collaboration with The Humane Society International, for a global ban on animal testing for cosmetic products. This week, they’ve really kicked off their world wide campaign with a controversial bang.

Jacqueline Traide, a 24 year old animal rights protester, agreed to be tortured for ten hours straight in the window of a Lush store on London’s Regent Street. For ten straight hours, Jacqueline was injected and smothered in various lotions. Her hair was shaved and irritants were squirted into her eyes. Passers-by stopped to take pictures and videos as the event went on.

In possibly one of the most striking acts of protest, Lush and The Humane Society International are not afraid of controversy. As The Human Society International says, this is the kind of tortuous testing that animals are routinely subjected to in countries that still allow the practice.

The images are disturbing to say the least but not as disturbing as the fact that this practice of animal testing for cosmetics still goes on in a world that doesn’t require it.

Until then…geek on!

The Ed.

Images courtesy of Lush

Attachments

• 783795-n.jpg
    783795-n.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 753
  • 784040-n.jpg
    784040-n.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 693
Last edited:
I saw this on the news this morning, hopefully it will make a few more people take notice of the campaign.

It makes me sick that animal testing is still so prevalent in cosmetic manufacturing.

Oh My God! That is horrendous! I hope people realise what they are doing and stop. x

I saw this on the news this morning, hopefully it will make a few more people take notice of the campaign.

It makes me sick that animal testing is still so prevalent in cosmetic manufacturing.

Too true!

Hate any form of animal cruelty.
X

Well done Lush! We all sit here and moan about it but its great to see someone taking a stand! Very brave girl too x

I don't approve of animal testing at all but I actually thought this was a little bit over the top.

Stuff like this gets attention, think of the suffragettes!
If it wasn't for them doing the stunts that gained media attention, us women would still not have a vote, and would still be subordinate to men. Animals can't speak for themselves so I'm bloody glad we live in a country where people do things like this on their behalf.

Well done that girl!

It is so horrific watching what actually goes on. I really hope that seeing this will make people realise that animal testing for cosmetics is wrong. I actively try not to use anything in my salon that I know has been tested on animals.

This is a fantastic campaign - I'm surprised I didn't hear about it.

It's also made me wonder - are the products I'm using tested on animals? Can anyone tell me, are Sienna X and Nouvatan tested on animals?

Many thanks to this wonderful campaigner for bringing this to the world's attention.

'product not tested on animals' is a very loose statement for a company to make...

The finished product may not have been tested on animals but for most products the ingredients that goes into the product sure as help have been tested on animals at some point! Do you really think DHA has never been tested on an animal during its development?!

I am not condoning animal testing at all here just putting a wee thought out there for discussion ;)

Lindsey x

Amazing lady! And well done Lush too x

Environ says finished products not tested on animals.

I have to say, i spent years sourcing items I could use that werent tested on animals and its shocking how hard it is to find ones that aren't. IMO, it will be a better world when there are more companies who work like the body shop (prior to its buy over) and lush.

Such a shame about body shop.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

But do the body shop and lush not use essential oils, tea tree for example?

A lot of people I've spoken to about animal testing can get quite angry when you ask about the ingredients that go into thier favourite products that companies claim 'not tested on animals'.

One could say they don't need to because the dirty work has been done for them... as far as I know (could be wrong) we know the LD50 for all the common essential oils so when a company uses the oil (or whatever) they can say confidently that THEY have not done any animal testing. So how much weight does that statement actually hold?

One could say they don't need to because the dirty work has been done for them... as far as I know (could be wrong) we know the LD50 for all the common essential oils so when a company uses the oil (or whatever) they can say confidently that THEY have not done any animal testing. So how much weight does that statement actually hold?

I totally get where you are coming from and I can say in my opinion, they can do nothing about what other people have already tested. As long as their ethics stand that had it NOT been tested, they would chose not to test it on animals, then I am willing to believe in their integrity and that stands for a lot for me.

I agree with you, although I take the marketing with a pinch of salt I do respect the fact that they do not test or condone testing on animals.

I would not like to be in thier position as there is nothing that can be done about past but respect they are taking hold of the present and not testing on animals now.

What I do not respect are the ones who will happily wear the 'not tested on animals' badge but continue to look for new products and have the ones doing the research and development carry on with the testing so they can tell the 'good' company the new ingredient is safe for humans.

Then the ones who use this wonderful new ingredient gets to announce 'wow we have made a wonderful new product and its only been tested on willing humans' eh, technically no!

Bit of a long rant there sorry :$

Hope everyones having a good weekend ;)

Lindsey x

This is a fantastic campaign - I'm surprised I didn't hear about it.

It's also made me wonder - are the products I'm using tested on animals? Can anyone tell me, are Sienna X and Nouvatan tested on animals?

Many thanks to this wonderful campaigner for bringing this to the world's attention.

Hi

I believe that Nouvatan is not tested on animals I cant speak about Sienna X as I dont use it!

x

Hi

I believe that Nouvatan is not tested on animals I cant speak about Sienna X as I dont use it!

x

I can't imagine that Dawn or Steve would allow Nouvatan to be tested on animals, to be frank. I think they are both animal lovers; I know that Dawn has pet dogs.

Yeah Ive just looked on a bottle and it does say Not tested on animals - another reason I love nouvatan!

:)

Latest posts

Back