Beauty | Botox Shaming: The New Misogyny?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Ed.

Reaction score
Poor Renee Zellweger. I mean it. She is the latest in a long line of women who have fallen at the hands of the greatest hypocrisy of them all. In Hollywood, a woman is damned if she does and damned if she doesn't.

For the record, she insists she doesn't. Responding to the reaction to her appearance on the red carpet the other week she wrote on Twitter, "I’m glad folks think I look different! I’m living a different, happy, more fulfilling life, and I’m thrilled that perhaps it shows."

I'm sceptical about that, but that's not the point. Who gives a rat's ass whether she's had surgery or not? Women of the film industry face only two choices when they (inevitably!) age. First, they can age naturally and land no roles, get no work and wither under a pile of wrinkles and age spots until one day, when someone says, "Hey you look a little like that actress from years ago...oh! What was her name?" They'll take a picture and the newspapers will be filled with headlines shocked and staggered at how old she has become. Heaven forbid.

The second choice is to take to the knife. Or the chemicals. Or whatever it is. They can defy the natural process of ageing in the vain hope that they may land a few roles here and there, that they won't be so easily discarded as the years push on, but the reality is that they'll still stop getting work long before their male counterparts are considered 'too old'. Just like those who choose to age naturally, they too will find themselves in the paper, just like Renee, with the whole world up in arms about an eye lift and a bit of Botox.

What is wrong with us? Yes, she looks different but why does that give the world a right to bash and bully her from the sidelines, conveniently hidden behind a twitter handle and an avatar? Shouldn't we be looking at the real issue here: the fact that these women feel so insecure and objectified that they are going to extreme lengths to fight ageing?

Piers Morgan, in his column in the Daily Mail agrees. He thinks that Renee's choices are just a symptom of a much bigger problem.

"The reaction, mainly I noted from men, was gleeful, mocking and often downright vicious," he says.

"I can only imagine what degree of hell Renee Zellweger went through when she read the bones of her face being picked apart like a gazelle’s carcass feasted on by a pack of gluttonous vultures. This is the new misogyny and it stinks."

I agree. Leave her alone.

Until then...geek on!

The Ed.

Attachments

• 1413993441687_Image_galleryImage_BEVERLY_HILLS_CA_OCTOBER_.JPG
    1413993441687_Image_galleryImage_BEVERLY_HILLS_CA_OCTOBER_.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 161

Latest posts

Back