Beauty cabin set up?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tracy Swain

Reaction score
Hi I have a small beauty cabin in my garden that I am in the process of starting up. I'm thinking of doing an open afternoon so people can come and meet me , and see my beauty room and the services I will be offering. I really would like to appeal to ladies that want a one to one no rush pamper service, with flexible times including evening appointments. Any thoughts if this would be a good idea?[emoji4]

I think that could be a very good idea. You could get a fizzy non alchoholic drink to serve, like Shleor and a mini demo maybe.

I would love this.

Yes thanks for reply. I will give it ago I think[emoji16]

Hi I have a small beauty cabin in my garden that I am in the process of starting up. I'm thinking of doing an open afternoon so people can come and meet me , and see my beauty room and the services I will be offering. I really would like to appeal to ladies that want a one to one no rush pamper service, with flexible times including evening appointments. Any thoughts if this would be a good idea?[emoji4]
Already I can feel your calming no rush vibes coming from your post. How I would love to be pampered it sounds like bliss.
You are too far away fro me to call in unfortunately .LOL
Have your meditation/relaxation cd playing quietly, and some aromatherapy smells adding to the sense of calm. The drinks and mini demo is a great idea.
Good luck to you
R

Yes I already have the cds and scents! Shame you are to far. Do you have any ideas that could help though! Like should i have an offer to begin with, it's getting people through the door. All new to me..[emoji848]

Hiya Tracy,
I never do special offers , ever. There's no need , just offer what you do and show them what you are about and those that want a quality environment will get just that.
If you do opening offers it can get hard to charge the proper price after that. Some clients may expect you then on to have constant specials if you know what i mean.
However, putting together a pacckage of 2 or more treatments etc may be a good idea to sell more services whilst they are with you.
Eye special , brow wax, tint eyelash/brow for a combined price.
Facial with hand or foot massage whilst the face masque is on - add on or offer free in your introductory weeks.
Wax special ie; half leg, bikini, underarm, lip, brow for say 10% cheaper. I do this for my very long standing clients.
Those offers I have mentioned are something that you would be able to keep going and not lose out on.
Some salons do an introduce a friend scheme. I don't (too tight me lol) but as you need to get your business off the ground as soon as , maybe give a £5 voucher to the recommended client as an incentive. Limit how long you will do it for in case your client retention is almost 100% like mine is.

When are you opening? i bet you can't wait!
RosieR x

Thanks I will open when iv done the open day. I have been doing friends and family till now. Finding it all abit scary but will have to just jump in!! Out of interest which gel polish do you use?

I use cuccio veneer and some gellux . I like the colours of cuccio I think they are sophisticated. Quite a lot of my clients have pedicures too and they are getting on a bit so they like the normal polish on toes. Cuccio have matchmaker sets so that gel and varnish can be bought which are the same colour or near enough. . Cuccio gel is called veneer, and I opened an account with them directly, but Alan Howard sell cuccio too. So get yourself a trade card if you don't already have one.
Other geeks like gelish, cnd, and lately the gel bottle. Do look at those too.
Did you train for nail enhancements with your beauty course, because that can sometimes influence you decision?
R

Yes I did, although I want to a refresher in extentions I think. Yes if looked at at most of them. I do like cuccio. What is your set up are you in a salon or mobile/ home-based?

Hiya,
I'm home based but offer mobile (limited treatments only ) to just 3 clients. They are elderly and can't get to me anymore for various reasons. I don't really like mobile as I always feel I forget something or think I need such and such,, oops it's at home. So a list of needs for the home visit is essential.

In an emergency though if someone's not driving and the appointment is worth my while I will do a home visit, but it's not my preferance. Time travelling is money not being earned and I can consolidate my day so that suits me.

The normal 3 home visits pay more obviously, but the occasional one offs are not charged extra because i would have lost their appointment anyway. They would have cancelled due to them not driving. ( one lady has had a mild stroke/another cataracts/another pulled her shoulder in an accident)
So theres my exceptions currently on the go.
R

I forgot to mention that when choosing your gels it's a good idea to check on shelf life. Some hybrid gel/polish are very short; ie;- 6-12 months
That's ok if you are very busy doing nails and will use them up quickly. I am not that busy with nails as I do general beauty/holistics as well so a 36 month shelf life is essential for me.
Do check "the gel bottle " as I don't know their shelf life , but cuccio is 36 months. That's ideal for the smaller independant business.
Lots of geeks are using "the gel bottle" so that may help you in making a decision.
You can always post for other opinions from geeks using it.
Hope that helps x

Ah thank you. I hassent thought of that! I also would need a long shelf life!! I'm going to look at cuccio. How have you found your client base? And how long have you been set up?

Apparently the gel bottle is 36 months!

Ah thank you. I hassent thought of that! I also would need a long shelf life!! I'm going to look at cuccio. How have you found your client base? And how long have you been set up?
A handful of clients came from the salon I worked at and the rest have been through baby groups, playgroups, school gates, teachers of my children, my self employed physiotherapist, my hairdresser, my gym session aquaintances and neighbours.
They have done the networking for me basically as I have never advertised. I don't intend to ,ever.
Business was very slow at the start , but having small children meant late working when my hubbie could look after them and that was fine by me.
That was more than 25 years ago.
What is your history and when did you train? Any contacts from your previous place of work ?
Again post a thread and ask what others do to get business......is my suggestion.
Good news on the gel longevity too!
R

I have been a carer for my eldest daughter, that has cerebral palsy. So have been out of the work place a long time! My daughter has recently moved onto independent ,supported living. I have done nail courses at college over the years and recently added some beauty to this. I have a back ground in hair aswell before children! I will probably have to do another partime job untill my beauty takes off ( hopfully). Hubby is a builder and did me a small beauty cabin in garden. [emoji16] sorry for the questions!

I have been a carer for my eldest daughter, that has cerebral palsy. So have been out of the work place a long time! My daughter has recently moved onto independent ,supported living. I have done nail courses at college over the years and recently added some beauty to this. I have a back ground in hair aswell before children! I will probably have to do another partime job untill my beauty takes off ( hopfully). Hubby is a builder and did me a small beauty cabin in garden. [emoji16] sorry for the questions!
I thankyou for your reply, you must miss her such a lot !
Now is a good time to do something that you have longed for. Your daughter is lucky to have a devoted mum and that's priceless.
Don't fill it with hairdressing if beauty is what you really like, follow your dream and as your husband has created your new space just do that. It will take time to build your client base so be patient, but it will be what you offer the client that brings them back again and again.
Practise your old skills on friends and family and that will build up your confidence.
Take care and ask away if you need to ! x

Latest posts

Back