Beauty day courses

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Georgiemc22

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm really thinking about doing some beauty courses as I've always had an interest in beauty and enjoy doing treatments for my friends. What are your professional thoughts about doing day courses? E.g. when you pay a sum of about £125 and you learn waxing in a day? Due to work I can't go to college, is doing it this way really enough time to learn something? Thanks!xx

Also. I would be looking to do these treatments at home and mobile rather than in a salon.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using SalonGeek mobile app

IMO as long as you do reputable courses and don't scrimp and buy into cheap training then it's definitely worth it

I will be doing all day courses as like you I cannot go to college due to childcare etc

Spray tanning I am going with Crazy Angel or Celebrity Bronze for training.

Waxing I will be going with Kim Lawless.

Nails I will be going with Nail Harmony. There's also CND but a bit out of my price range

Other bits and pieces like express lashes, lash lift, tinting etc I think I'm going with Gateway.

Just do your research. Use the search function on here LOADS and you'll be fine. Xx

Hi there

Before completing any short courses (not just waxing) we would suggest that you call a few insurance companies before signing up for the course as many insurance companies will not accept 1 day courses if you have no base NVQ (or equivalent) qualification.

We would like to wish you all the best in your future training :)

The Professional Beauty Team

IMO as long as you do reputable courses and don't scrimp and buy into cheap training then it's definitely worth it

I will be doing all day courses as like you I cannot go to college due to childcare etc

Spray tanning I am going with Crazy Angel or Celebrity Bronze for training.

Waxing I will be going with Kim Lawless.

Nails I will be going with Nail Harmony. There's also CND but a bit out of my price range

Other bits and pieces like express lashes, lash lift, tinting etc I think I'm going with Gateway.

Just do your research. Use the search function on here LOADS and you'll be fine. Xx

I use crazy angel spray tan and I love it! Yeah I'm defo not going to scrimp and save, im going to go through capital hair and beauty as it's not far from me and they wouldn't offer courses that aren't reputable. Will defo keep looking on here too, thanks x

Just FYI, some local authorities are now stopping therapists setting up a salon OR working from home without the minimum of an NVQ.

I personally think day courses are great to add to a qualification, but not as a stand alone, but that's just me!

Vic x

Just FYI, some local authorities are now stopping therapists setting up a salon OR working from home without the minimum of an NVQ.

I personally think day courses are great to add to a qualification, but not as a stand alone, but that's just me!

Vic x

Oh wow I didn't know this! Will have to look into that. Do you know any sites I can visit?x

As a professional in the hair and beauty industry, trust me, it will cost you sooooo much more than £100+ to gain the skills required to be a competent therapist.
It is becoming a common misconception that this industry is an 'ANYONE CAN DO' pastime.
I am a tad 'touchy' on this subject I know, but that is because I care so much. It is a profession that I love, and have worked VERY HARD in, for the whole of my adult life.
It is not a 'BIT OF MONEY ON THE SIDE' job.
If you genuinely wish to enter the Profession, PLEASE do it properly.
The damning down of this industry is becoming nothing short of a disgrace. :(

Last edited:
As a professional in the hair and beauty industry, trust me, it will cost you sooooo much more than £100+ to gain the skills required to be a competent therapist.
It is becoming a common misconception that this industry is an 'ANYONE CAN DO' pastime.
I am a tad 'touchy' on this subject I know, but that is because I care so much. It is a profession that I love, and have worked VERY HARD in, for the whole of my adult life.

Thank you for your advice. Similarly to you I to am very passionate about this field of work including hairdressing which is my main field of work. However, unfortunately not everyone is fortunate enough to go about entering this line of work in the "correct way".

Hi, i really think (in my opinion) it depends on what course it is, for example a lash lift is a relatively simple treatment with a clear step by step process, whereas nail extensions has many dimensions to it, and needs more than a one day course to master it. waxing can be taught in a day- then go away and practice til perfect then come back for an assessment day. just because someone goes to college for a longer period of time doesn't mean they will necessarily be better than someone that takes short courses, the difference is the quality of training and the actual student themselves. i teach full time students, part time students and one day courses, i am passionate about the industry and believe in upholding standards, i have seen many things with regards to public and private training. Go with your heart, get recommendations and only start performing treatments when you feel ready, not just because you hod a certificate for it x

From someone who has worked in this trade for over 30 years, worked my way from the absolute bottom to get to were I am now (an owner or a beautiful salon and teacher of beauty at a popular college in Kent) I think this un-useful and to be quite frank rude reply is nothing short of patronising and an attempt to intimidate an enthusiastic young woman entering in the great field that is hair and beauty - which may I add is what we are missing these days.. You are correct in saying that girls are getting involved in this line of work because it is seen as 'easy' trust me I work with them on a daily basis. However, to quote this reply, most people are not fortunate enough to go about entering the field in what you have pigeon holed as the correct way. Before replying to others and actually disheartening others (which I'm sure u didn't do intentionally) try to consider that people's lives/situations/income etc is different and instead of forcing personal views onto others, perhaps you may like to consider encouraging future workers to participate in the many great ways of joining us in the work field - which may I add is a great feature of hair and beauty that doesn't exist in other careers. Day courses are one of the many great ways of increasing your knowledge and upping your trade, all the best for whatever route you choose and remember to enjoy it! X

From someone who has worked in this trade for over 30 years, worked my way from the absolute bottom to get to were I am now (an owner or a beautiful salon and teacher of beauty at a popular college in Kent) I think this un-useful and to be quite frank rude reply is nothing short of patronising and an attempt to intimidate an enthusiastic young woman entering in the great field that is hair and beauty - which may I add is what we are missing these days.. You are correct in saying that girls are getting involved in this line of work because it is seen as 'easy' trust me I work with them on a daily basis. However, to quote this reply, most people are not fortunate enough to go about entering the field in what you have pigeon holed as the correct way. Before replying to others and actually disheartening others (which I'm sure u didn't do intentionally) try to consider that people's lives/situations/income etc is different and instead of forcing personal views onto others, perhaps you may like to consider encouraging future workers to participate in the many great ways of joining us in the work field - which may I add is a great feature of hair and beauty that doesn't exist in other careers. Day courses are one of the many great ways of increasing your knowledge and upping your trade, all the best for whatever route you choose and remember to enjoy it! X

Thank you very much, I really appreciate this advice from someone who is also very passionate and understands the difficulties that young professionals go through while trying to persue what they love. X I will enjoy it!!

Hi, i really think (in my opinion) it depends on what course it is, for example a lash lift is a relatively simple treatment with a clear step by step process, whereas nail extensions has many dimensions to it, and needs more than a one day course to master it. waxing can be taught in a day- then go away and practice til perfect then come back for an assessment day. just because someone goes to college for a longer period of time doesn't mean they will necessarily be better than someone that takes short courses, the difference is the quality of training and the actual student themselves. i teach full time students, part time students and one day courses, i am passionate about the industry and believe in upholding standards, i have seen many things with regards to public and private training. Go with your heart, get recommendations and only start performing treatments when you feel ready, not just because you hod a certificate for it x

Thank you for your professional opinion. It definitely does depend on the student. I've always had a huge interest in the beauty world and absolutely love everything about it and therefore would put in 100% effort x

Hi Geogiemc22,
I do hope you were not offended by my reply....my intention was not to be
"rude, patronising or intimidating......"
There are IMO, too many sub-standard courses, being sold to newbie's, promising them much, but delivering little........
My understanding of this site, is to ask other's opinion's, give advise, and have the odd RANT.....:irked:
Sorry if my comment's were taken the wrong way. :|

Well that's me told! :o

Hi Geogiemc22,
I do hope you were not offended by my reply....my intention was not to be
"rude, patronising or intimidating......"
There are IMO, too many sub-standard courses, being sold to newbie's, promising them much, but delivering little........
My understanding of this site, is to ask other's opinion's, give advise, and have the odd RANT.....:irked:
Sorry if my comment's were taken the wrong way. :|

I understand they were not meant to be seen in this way, it seems we are all very passionate! I understand this and I will only go through proper, regulated reputable companies as beauty is something I really want to expand to x

I think the post your responding to simply expressed an opinion!

At the end of the day, I would never employ a member of staff with just day courses, so if you're asking if I personally think they're okay, my answer would be that in a professional salon setting, on their own, no, they're not.

An extremely successful geek on here has just had to complete an nvq to open her salon. I'm convinced that in an effort to regulate this business, this is the way the trade is going. What a waste, to do one day courses and then have to go back and do it all again as an nvq.

Some one day courses are fantastic. Many are not!

Vic x

Sent from my SM-N910F using SalonGeek mobile app

Hey guys, I'm really thinking about doing some beauty courses as I've always had an interest in beauty and enjoy doing treatments for my friends. What are your professional thoughts about doing day courses? E.g. when you pay a sum of about £125 and you learn waxing in a day? Due to work I can't go to college, is doing it this way really enough time to learn something? Thanks!xx

Also. I would be looking to do these treatments at home and mobile rather than in a salon.

Hiya hope you don't mind me butting in But advice from someone who has been down this route may be good! I did day courses with 'The British Beauty Academy' and my advice is stay well clear of them! I was told it would be small intimate groups. I turned up to the eyelash day for example and there at least 20 girls to this one trainer and all we did to pass was show me we could stick on a couple of lashes and take them off and them boom she wrote out a certificate. The only course worth doing with them is the spray tan! I ended up redoing all my training all it was poor! I retrained with gateway Workshops which I found extremely helpful. I did the level 2 diploma which was the normal beauty treatments like waxing, tinting, mani pedi ect which is online tutoring and then you go for a few practicals and assessments and there were only two of us per trainer! And you can do extra courses like lashes, brow extensions!

Hope this helps :) just make sure you do your research and don't be fooled like I was. Good Luck! Xx

Day courses can be good, as others have said, do your research, cause there are both good and bad out there. I have done both college and day courses. Again, as others have said, just cause you go to college, unfortunately it does not always mean the training will be guaranteed to be of a high standard.

However, due to your circumstances, have you thought about doing level 2 NVQ with a private course provider? Rather than just doing one off day courses? or maybe doing part time NVQ courses at college-evening/weekend?

When I started my NVQ in beauty, I did it 2 evenings a week and spread it out over 2 years, then did the same with Anatomy, then various massage courses. One massage course was every weekend over 5 months. In all, I kept my day job and slotted in the beauty stuff in spare hours over 4 years. Now I do short day courses in advanced skills but I would not have felt confident or accomplished enough had I done the basics as day courses.

Day courses can be good, as others have said, do your research, cause there are both good and bad out there. I have done both college and day courses. Again, as others have said, just cause you go to college, unfortunately it does not always mean the training will be guaranteed to be of a high standard.

However, due to your circumstances, have you thought about doing level 2 NVQ with a private course provider? Rather than just doing one off day courses? or maybe doing part time NVQ courses at college-evening/weekend?

I have thought about doing this, however the colleges within my area are simply not affordable at this moment :( wasted two years doing a bloody health and social course, painting friends nails and giving them hand massages in class! and then went on to hairdressing. Really wish I'd done beauty for the first two years x

Latest posts

Back