Beauty/Hair industry losing credibility ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bombini

Reaction score
What do you think ????

I keep reading threads about non hair pros training in hair extensions and hair dressers (understandably) being miffed about it. I have read a few posts about people wanting to set up a business just doing Shellac or another similar system then when I read further on the poster has no beauty qualifications and doesn't even intend to do a manicure course they literally just want to offer Shellac.

It reminds me of when I first went to college to do beauty therapy and occasionally people would ask 'so you just do nails?' and think of beauty courses as something a brainless chump would do !!!

In the last few years so many friends of friends have done various one day courses in hope of getting rich and then packed it in after a few months when they realise you can't just train in spray tanning and the next morning wake up to be fully booked day in day out.

I agree. I think there are sum people who don't give beauty therapists enough credit and think its just a daft course. You need to learn about the whole body which isnt the easiest and people think anyone cud do the job. Its defoo a talent! Just last week sumone said u must hav no stress with yr job and it must be relaxing? I thought to myself i have had sucicidal clients and standing on yourfeet all day doing massages is very tiring. Sumtimes u feel like a clients slave if u know wat i mean lol.

If anything it raises the credibility of us proper professionals.
What the messers dont seem to "get" is that clients aint stupid. Have a watch of that telly program where people try and pass of as professionals, the hair ones always get found out.

Without wanting to boast, I give off confidence. I know my stuff, and have an air of authority. You cant acheive that on a short course, and you cant blag it.

I said in a blog recently that I felt a bit isolated on here. There are a few of us , but not many who have actually put the hours and the work in.
A few of us who are making serious money at our jobs.
Clients really can tell the difference. When they find a true pro amongst the shysters and thruppence merchants, they embrace us and stay loyal to us.
I dont go chasing clients, my staff have to work at it though, as it takes a long time.

I wish one day courses didn't exist. Or if they existed, they should be only available to already qualified people.
I am bored of reading posts someone wanting to set up as a spray tanner, lash technician or just offering shellac next to their full-time job.
You can hardly call beauty your career if you just do the above. Beauty therapy/Hairdressing is a career, a proper job that most of us on here love doing and take it seriously. You can hardly call yourself a beauty therapist if you only do spray tanning and eyelashes. Or a nail technician/manicurist if you only do shellac.
So yes, beauty and hairdressing is loosing its credibility and I blame one day courses for that.

I think that due to the current financial climate there are many people who, after being made redundant or struggling to find a job, attend a cheap, one day training course and then expect to have a hugely successful and lucrative business - then reality hits!.

Most of these people will give up after a couple of months, a few brighter ones may realise that they need further training in their chosen field and go on to be successful eventually.

The public are growing wise to the cowboys, i'm finding that more and more clients are asking to see my qualifications and insurance certificates and this can only be a good thing as it sorts the wheat from the chaff :)

but sure isn't it the same in every trade. there's chancers everywhere i don't worry about it , if you're any good and have some business sense you'll do well. but definaltey one day courses should only be available to those who have already get their recognised qualifications as an add on. but doesn't that bring us back to the same old issue of regulation or the lack of it..... but then that
's a whole different thread.

Agreed I think the recession has thrown people into setting up as a 'beauty therapist' as they see it as an easy option!

It is absolutely NOT. Anyone who has made it to the point where they have trained up and seen their first client should be applauded as it takes guts and determination.

For people to just breeze in with no skills and think they can infer these services is insulting and I'm sure there will be plenty dissatisfied clients out there!

I agree about one day courses only being available to qualified professionals.

I think its shocking that one day facial courses exist yet most of the large skincare companies require a week just to learn the products and treatment routines. How can anyone in their right mind believe that facials can be learnt in a day. All this waffle about case studies and practice at home means nothing if you only have to do one treatment in front of a trainer to pass a course.

Agreed! I can do Botox because of professional training and background but I couldn't do a facial!

What do you think ????

I keep reading threads about non hair pros training in hair extensions and hair dressers (understandably) being miffed about it. I have read a few posts about people wanting to set up a business just doing Shellac or another similar system then when I read further on the poster has no beauty qualifications and doesn't even intend to do a manicure course they literally just want to offer Shellac.

It reminds me of when I first went to college to do beauty therapy and occasionally people would ask 'so you just do nails?' and think of beauty courses as something a brainless chump would do !!!

In the last few years so many friends of friends have done various one day courses in hope of getting rich and then packed it in after a few months when they realise you can't just train in spray tanning and the next morning wake up to be fully booked day in day out.

I totally agree.....a couple of years ago, my aunty who is not a hairdresser or even in the hair or beauty industry...(she was a sewing machinist for 15yrs)...decided that she could make good money from doing hair extensions. So, she did a 2 day course, and started doing it from home.
Well, she charged between £200 - £300 per head, and within a few weeks she was so busy she was doing at least 1 client a day!
She made thousands of pounds over a period of about 18 months, and then decided to give it up cos she got bored doing it and couldn't be bothered anymore!
It used to annoy me, because I am a fully qualified hairdresser, nail tech, spray tanner and make up artist, and I don't even make £300 a week, let alone a day!!
She earnt so much money she went on lavish holidays and bought a brand new car and had some work done on her house etc.....meanwhile I was struggling to pay the bills sometimes!!
I think it is so unfair that people who are not qualified, or even in the industry to start with, can just wake up one morning and think, 'Oooh I think I'll be a hair extensionist, or a spray tanner or whatever today!', and proceed to do a 1 or 2 day course, and make so much money, when people like us who have invested time, and alot of money, struggle to earn a decent wage or start a business....needless to say, if I popped round to see my aunt for a cuppa or whatever, if my aunt started to tell me how well she was doing, and how busy she was, I would generally change the subject, cos it used to p*** me off so much!

So Bombini, yes I totally know what you mean! lol :green:

I wish one day courses didn't exist. Or if they existed, they should be only available to already qualified people.
I am bored of reading posts someone wanting to set up as a spray tanner, lash technician or just offering shellac next to their full-time job.
You can hardly call beauty your career if you just do the above. Beauty therapy/Hairdressing is a career, a proper job that most of us on here love doing and take it seriously. You can hardly call yourself a beauty therapist if you only do spray tanning and eyelashes. Or a nail technician/manicurist if you only do shellac.
So yes, beauty and hairdressing is loosing its credibility and I blame one day courses for that.

I do think this is a bit harsh, although I do tend to agree with most of the comments and views in this thread.
The beauty industry has changed so rapidly over the last few decades, at one time you would never of thought to colour your own hair, wax your own legs, and tanning - that was what we did on holiday or doing the gardening! Along with the economical climate, the beauty industry has taken a new drive to the D.I.Yer, why pay £60 on highlights when I can buy it in a home packet for a £10!
Its all about skill and patience.
Ladies have been painting their nails for decades, some are naturally fantastic polishers, others still get it everywhere.

For me, I originally trained in nails, but could not earn enough money at the time to keep it up :( After a decade of office work and a baby in tow I am now at a great place in my life so I can re-enter what I loved. I made a concious decision to re-train in manicure and pedicure (1 day courses) to get me up to date with tools and products etc. I have also attended a Shellac course (1 day) I didn't have to (as I am already qualified) but I want, sorry I AM a professional. For the interim period I am more than happy to provide just these services to clients as the saying going 'Better to be a Master of one trade than a Jack of all'.

Just my thoughts :)

I totally agree.....a couple of years ago, my aunty who is not a hairdresser or even in the hair or beauty industry...(she was a sewing machinist for 15yrs)...decided that she could make good money from doing hair extensions. So, she did a 2 day course, and started doing it from home.
Well, she charged between £200 - £300 per head, and within a few weeks she was so busy she was doing at least 1 client a day!
She made thousands of pounds over a period of about 18 months, and then decided to give it up cos she got bored doing it and couldn't be bothered anymore!
It used to annoy me, because I am a fully qualified hairdresser, nail tech, spray tanner and make up artist, and I don't even make £300 a week, let alone a day!!
She earnt so much money she went on lavish holidays and bought a brand new car and had some work done on her house etc.....meanwhile I was struggling to pay the bills sometimes!!
I think it is so unfair that people who are not qualified, or even in the industry to start with, can just wake up one morning and think, 'Oooh I think I'll be a hair extensionist, or a spray tanner or whatever today!', and proceed to do a 1 or 2 day course, and make so much money, when people like us who have invested time, and alot of money, struggle to earn a decent wage or start a business....needless to say, if I popped round to see my aunt for a cuppa or whatever, if my aunt started to tell me how well she was doing, and how busy she was, I would generally change the subject, cos it used to p*** me off so much!

Sorry had to giggle at this....
Considering how qualified you are in the industry I don't understand how you could be jealous (for want of a better word) of your Aunty? She was obviously good at what she did whilst she was doing it!?
Seeing her success......did it not occur to you to start doing it yourself?
You should be happy for her, and not so bitter :lick:

(this response is said in good humour, not to offend!!) :)

In that case why don't you train to do extensions and ask for her client base?! Sounds like a winner to me!!!

Sorry had to giggle at this....
Considering how qualified you are in the industry I don't understand how you could be jealous (for want of a better word) of your Aunty? She was obviously good at what she did whilst she was doing it!?
Seeing her success......did it not occur to you to start doing it yourself?
You should be happy for her, and not so bitter :lick:

(this response is said in good humour, not to offend!!) :)

Well actually I am a little offended!! lol For one, I am not jealous of my Aunt, and never was, and two, Ummm don't you think if I had had any interest in doing hair extensions, I would be doing them by now!!?? I have never had any interest in doing hair extensions....so no, I'm not jealous of her in the least!! lol
The point I was trying to make was, to the OP comments, about someone who has nothing to do with our industry, and doesnt know the first thing about hair or hairdressing or whatever, can just do a 1 or 2 day extension or whatever course and call themselves qualified!! My Aunt couldn't even cut the extensions, her clients had to go and find a hairdresser who could cut them, so to me, she was not offering a full professional service if she couldn't see it through to the end!!
That is what annoyed me.....not the fact that she was making alot of money!! I was annoyed about the fact that she knew nothing about hair to begin with, and couldn't even finish the extension service properly!!
To me, those kind of people (my Aunt included) are just messers and only in it for the money!!

Been chewing my nails !:( at this post and trying not to post on it but hey i just cant help myself!!!!!!
Its the whole non proffessional thing again!Us proffessionals that put so so much time energy and god damn hard work into what we do get tetchy with messrs because they have no idea what theyre doing and botox boy im totally with you as id be way too frightened to have any type of fillers/botox done by anyone other than qualified nursing proffessional!
Same as hair i guess for most people but not always the case!:)

If anything it raises the credibility of us proper professionals.
What the messers dont seem to "get" is that clients aint stupid. Have a watch of that telly program where people try and pass of as professionals, the hair ones always get found out.

Without wanting to boast, I give off confidence. I know my stuff, and have an air of authority. You cant acheive that on a short course, and you cant blag it.

I said in a blog recently that I felt a bit isolated on here. There are a few of us , but not many who have actually put the hours and the work in.
A few of us who are making serious money at our jobs.
Clients really can tell the difference. When they find a true pro amongst the shysters and thruppence merchants, they embrace us and stay loyal to us.
I dont go chasing clients, my staff have to work at it though, as it takes a long time.

Amen to that.

I agree with a lot said on here. When i was started as a "saturday girl", the salons i worked in had a very select group of loyal, book every 4 weeks type of client. And what we said as staff was taken as gospel. I think over the last 5 years or so things have changed dramatically, with the opening of nail bars where the staff wear masks and don't speak english or speak for that matter and salons where you have staff that have done little training. 1996 i started working as a saturday girl and i still remember now that a full set of nail extensions were £40. Theres no salon in my area now that charges that or could charge that because clients are fickle and what "owt for nowt" these days so they will go to the nail bar and pay £10 pound for"acrylics" and not care what people have used on them. Things have changed a lot but we as therapists know what we do is right because we have trained and worked hard and started at the bottom and worked our way up. Eventually clients will realise that ten pound acrylics really are not what you want on your fingers.
Even an eyebrow wax for example, say ten years ago was £6, salons in my area are charging 2 and 3 pound for this service which is cheaper than the college charges for a student! I refuse to be beaten by this though. I am and always will remain professional and believe that you get what you pay for. I value my work and want clients to do the same so them that have champagne ideas and lemonade money can jog on with their acrylics to the next salon! rant over!

I agree with a lot said on here. When i was started as a "saturday girl", the salons i worked in had a very select group of loyal, book every 4 weeks type of client. And what we said as staff was taken as gospel. I think over the last 5 years or so things have changed dramatically, with the opening of nail bars where the staff wear masks and don't speak english or speak for that matter and salons where you have staff that have done little training. 1996 i started working as a saturday girl and i still remember now that a full set of nail extensions were £40. Theres no salon in my area now that charges that or could charge that because clients are fickle and what "owt for nowt" these days so they will go to the nail bar and pay £10 pound for"acrylics" and not care what people have used on them. Things have changed a lot but we as therapists know what we do is right because we have trained and worked hard and started at the bottom and worked our way up. Eventually clients will realise that ten pound acrylics really are not what you want on your fingers.
Even an eyebrow wax for example, say ten years ago was £6, salons in my area are charging 2 and 3 pound for this service which is cheaper than the college charges for a student! I refuse to be beaten by this though. I am and always will remain professional and believe that you get what you pay for. I value my work and want clients to do the same so them that have champagne ideas and lemonade money can jog on with their acrylics to the next salon! rant over!

Love this post high 5 to u!!!

Thanks enomis!

Ah Crikey dont get me started on this subject! *clambers up on to her soapbox*
This one day course malarky is a massive bug bear for me. Im a hair proffesional, so can only comment on this side of the industry, but I am sooo fed up with having to defend extensions to clients because they had a bad experience with, what can only be described as a COWBOY! Sorry, but If you had a wall built by someone, who did a pants job, because they only watched someone do it for a day in order to learn, you would call them a cowboy, wouldnt you??
Is this any different?
More respect for this industry I say.
*clambers off soap box and goes to make a cup of tea....*
xx

Latest posts

Back