Beauty/Hair industry losing credibility ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great thread!
I agree wholeheartedly with all especially Persianista. Ive been in the industry now for 16 years. I did a full time course (mon to fri 9-5 not 2 days a week!!) and have been constantly investing in training ever since to keep on top of my game. When I first started my business I had two part time jobs for a couple of years just to help pay the bills. I regularly work 50+ hours a week but would be rich if I had a pound for every client who tells me they'd love to have a job like mine that I can "just fit in around me"! Im not sure if anyone agrees but Ive only been successful by working my arse off and constantly re-investing in equipment, promotion and training. I struggle to keep quiet when I constantly read posts about how people are disappointed when they don't have a fully booked client list within a couple of weeks of starting out and they offer just a couple of treatments.
Lets get the professionalism back in the industry. Theres no substitute for time served experience and we've all had to start at the bottom and work up.
If you want a successful business it takes time and effort and won't happen in a couple of months.

Rant over!!

Agreed! People say its a 'nice little earner' but I too work around 60 hours a week sometimes more!

There's a debate on Facebook about "cheap deals", it really gets me mad, this debate has been sparked by a lady offering sculptured nails for £4 and will soon be doing spray tans for £6.50.

It baffles me, it really does.

:grr:

There's a debate on Facebook about "cheap deals", it really gets me mad, this debate has been sparked by a lady offering sculptured nails for £4 and will soon be doing spray tans for £6.50.

It baffles me, it really does.

:grr:

can you imagine the clientele she'll attract? Good luck to her she's going to need it for her short time she'll be running a business.

can you imagine the clientele she'll attract? Good luck to her she's going to need it for her short time she'll be running a business.

This is what we're trying to get through to her, but it's falling on deaf ears. Talk about a cut throat business...

It's crazy she's obviously running a charity rather than a business!!

We are all just trying to protect our industries that weve put and still put so much in to.
My nan always said to me youl never earn a lifetimes fortune doing the job you really love but as your a long time working you have to really enjoy WHAT you choose to do.
I certainly believe that if your in it for a quick buck and money spinner you wont last the time like the rest of us who will still be slogging our guts out but smiling about it in years to come!

There will always be the perception that hair/beauty professionals dont have to work hard to make money but people dont see the overheads taxes etc like they do with other industries for some reason.
I get fed up defending my prices so now i dont.
If a client asks me how much i charge for a cut and blo dry i tell them i dont charge for a cut and blo dry,i charge for a full consultation with 16 years of my experience a hair analysis my personal and professional opinion,a great atmosphere,a head massage and shampoo using the best quality products,a cut and blo dry and a great service.
Its not just about the particular service its about the service as a whole.Not sure you can learn that on a 1 day course.....
x

We are all just trying to protect our industries that weve put and still put so much in to.
My nan always said to me youl never earn a lifetimes fortune doing the job you really love but as your a long time working you have to really enjoy WHAT you choose to do.
I certainly believe that if your in it for a quick buck and money spinner you wont last the time like the rest of us who will still be slogging our guts out but smiling about it in years to come!

There will always be the perception that hair/beauty professionals dont have to work hard to make money but people dont see the overheads taxes etc like they do with other industries for some reason.
I get fed up defending my prices so now i dont.
If a client asks me how much i charge for a cut and blo dry i tell them i dont charge for a cut and blo dry,i charge for a full consultation with 16 years of my experience a hair analysis my personal and professional opinion,a great atmosphere,a head massage and shampoo using the best quality products,a cut and blo dry and a great service.
Its not just about the particular service its about the service as a whole.Not sure you can learn that on a 1 day course.....
x

Oh I dunno, I have done alright out of it:wink2:

Latest posts

Back