Beauty | High Street Organic Ranges Not So Organic After All

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Ed.

Reaction score
You may or may not be surprised but a study revealed today suggests that a number of high street brands promoting organic products aren't perhaps disclosing the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

The study, conducted by the Soil Association, revealed that some "organic" products actually contain the same chemicals found in antifreeze, floor cleaners, window cleaner and engine oil. The Soil Association suggests that these chemicals have been associated with cancer and nerve damage.

Top of the studies hit list were Boots and Nivea who have both been accused of misleading the consumer. Nivea's Pure and Natural hand cream is labelled as being 95% natural but in fact contains methylisothiazolinone - a preservative found in window and floor cleaners and air fresheners, the Daily Mail reported.

Similarly, Boots Botanics skin care range, again labelled as being 100 percent organic was found to contain at least four non-organic ingredients. The US firm Organix*, whose name suggests a natural product range, has been criticised as its coconut shampoo contained no organic ingredients at all.

Peter Melchett, the Soil Assocation's policy director expressed anger these companies and accused them of undermining the industry by cutting corners and breaking the rules. He called for an end to the deception and denounced their misleading tactics as wrong.

Both Organix and Nivea declined to comment but Boots have responded by saying that this is a labelling problem and not a product issue.

"We would like to reassure our customers that the ingredients in the Botanics Organic Facial Oil support a 100 per cent organic claim and Trading Standards approve our process. The ingredient list on the packaging may not make this clear. We will look to rectify this immediately."

Until then...geek on!

The Ed.

*not connnected to British baby food manufacturer

Attachments

• iStock_000017447010XSmall.jpg
    iStock_000017447010XSmall.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 267
Oooo, this does make me cross!
Grrrr.

OK, so what do I know, but I do think that "organic" is a binary term. It either IS, or it ISN'T organic. Like being pregnant. You can't be a little bit pregnant, well maybe you can if you're Posh Spice, who, even at full term looked less bloated than me after a medium sized Rogan Josh...

If you embrace the organic ethos how miffed are you going to be when you discover that your organic products are 78% organic? What the heck is the other 22%? It could be flippin' toxic waste!

Spiezia Organics is a lovely dinky little company in Cornwall making 100% pure organic products. I have no hesitation in recommending them to clients, and no, we don't distribute for them!
I've used their products alongside Swissdermyl in my salon for 5 odd years.

I'm glad that these anomalies have been outed. It's about blimmin' time!

Latest posts

Back