Beauty | It's THAT Illamasqua Advert

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Ed.

Reaction score
I know that everyone was raging over this yesterday and trust me, there was nothing I wanted to do more than post a thought-provoking and chatter-inspiring post on the advert that has got everyone chatting. Of course, my internet service provider wasn't playing along so, apologies for the delay. Here it is.

You'll notice, first of all, that I've posted the advert in full. In other words, the black and the white version which are supposed to go next to each other. It's also worth knowing it's the same model in both pictures. Those lambasting Illamasqua for the ad are tending to just post the 'black' half. In my opinion, this takes it out of context somewhat...so I just thought I'd mention that.

Words such as 'blackfaced', 'racist' and 'minstrels' have been flying around the cyber highway with many (in fact, the majority) outraged. TheGloss.com say, "Presumably, this was vetted by no-one before landing on Facebook," while controversial make up artist Alex Box, responsible for the look, is defended by Illamasqua in their official statement on Facebook:

"We thank and acknowledge your comments regarding the above image. Obviously it was never our intention to cause offence; Illamasqua has always celebrated the right to self-expression and we continually push creative and artistic boundaries, priding ourselves on working with models of many ethnic backgrounds to reinforce this point."

"Alex Box, Illamasqua's Creative Director, has emphasised that this campaign is about colour ON the skin, not colour OF the skin, depicting polarity between the two images (both images are the same model) not race."

For my money (whatever that's worth) I think creatively this is a pretty amazing piece of advertising and, I can buy into the idea that this is about "the colour ON the skin, not the colour OF the skin." I think that the choice of costume - the top hat, the bow tie - is an unfortunate (and hopefully, unintentional) reference to those minstrel shows of the past but no one can deny that visually, it's impressive.

If you know anything about Illamasqua as a company, you'll know that they are about pushing creative boundaries, being inventive and as a company, they are coloured in class and coolness. They are ethical, cruelty-free and an intentionally racist advert simply doesn't sound like them. However, there's no doubt that many people are offended by it...does that mean they shouldn't do it? Or, perhaps it means that they should?

Who knows...I await your geeky-chatter with interest.

Until then...geek on!

The Ed.

Attachments

• o-ILLAMASQUA-AUSTRALIA-BLACKFACE-570.jpg
    o-ILLAMASQUA-AUSTRALIA-BLACKFACE-570.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 819
When i first saw the ad i didnt think about racism or anything of the sort, and i still don't now, i just see another cool ad by illamasqua that as always pushes their creative boundaries.

I think anyone who is familiar with the brand will feel the same, none of their adverts conform to what would be seen as the 'norm' in makeup and thats what gets people talking about the brand and gets people interested in their products! I certainly don't think they would create an intentionally racist advert.

I love illamasqua, the products, the brand and their values.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using SalonGeek

This advert should be seen as it was intended, as another amazing piece of art by an extraordinary make up artist. The people throwing out accusations of racism obviously aren't familiar with the brand and it's ethos.
It makes me so mad to hear all of these ridiculous, close minded views, some people need to look at the bigger picture.

I think it's totally wrong!!! She SHOULD be dreaming of a white Christmas, the power of her dream could give me the snow filled Christmas I desire ;)

As for the advert.. I love it :)
The model looks amazing in both hues.
Neither black nor white are actual colours in the artistic sense are they?

I hadn't heard anything about it untill I seen this. I don't really understand why people think it is racist. Maybe I'm being a bit thick :/? I don't really understand what the "I'm not dreaming of a white Christmas" slogan means. But again, maybe I'm missing something.

Why do people even think this is racist? It's PC gone mad as usual...sigh

gosh everytihng is apparently rascist/ sexist/ homophobic now a days... it's a sad world we live in where people are scared to do anything incase they are deemed as 'wrong'. I don't see how this advert is at all rascist, a top hat and bow tie? isn't that just illamasquas unique style? anyway why don't we want a white christmas? whats wrong with being white? :wink2: i'm not at all offended, just wanted to make a point that it does just show we can make anything 'offensive' if we want to.

Last edited:
Some people will moan about everything. It's not racist but I don't "get" it x

I'm interpreting the, I'm not dreaming of a white Christmas, to mean that instead of being white (like a blank page) and colourless, to be be colourful and creative.
With black being the opposite of white and in a sense the most colourful shade of all the pictures represent two ends of the scale...

This is just my interpretation and probably completely wrong but hey ho 😃

I'm interpreting the, I'm not dreaming of a white Christmas, to mean that instead of being white (like a blank page) and colourless, to be be colourful and creative.
With black being the opposite of white and in a sense the most colourful shade of all the pictures represent two ends of the scale...

This is just my interpretation and probably completely wrong but hey ho 😃
This was how I took the meaning as as well but you worded it better than I could get it down lol.

i hadnt seen the ad until just now and i just thought what an amazing make up artist!! thats it nothing more x

I have actually been admiring these images for a few weeks now. Every time I pass the advert in the train station or get an email from Illamasqua I think that it's a wonderfully creative take on make up in general (as will all Illamasqua adverts!) Those that have taken it as racist must not be familiar with Illamasqua as a brand and their ethos.

This is the first time I have seen the images and I love what is being advertised - the makeup. As for racism I think the world has gone mad!

PC gone mad.

Neither a black or white or person of any other race has skin this white or this black!

How could you possibly find it offensive,it should be taken as intended.

As has been said before, the world has gone mad!

Looking at the advert you just see beautiful work by a very talented makeup artist.

I just find that people are too frightened to say anything. If you do your racist, prejudice etc etc. It's ridiculous! xx

Looking at the advert you just see beautiful work by a very talented makeup artist.

I just find that people are too frightened to say anything. If you do your racist, prejudice etc etc. It's ridiculous! xx

Agree. We have worked with Alex Box on a number of occasions backstage at LFW. Anyone who has met or knows her understands her depth of creativity. She really is fabulous.

To assume anything other than the ad was created to excite us over makeup possibilities surrounding colour is plain ridiculous and they really need to get a life!!!:irked::irked:

It's usually those that don't know what the word 'racist' means band it about. I don't see skin colour used in a derogatory negative predjudice way, I see a stunning peice of art work.

Latest posts

Back