beauty room rental

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mandita8601

Mandita
Reaction score
I've been enquiring about renting a room within a barbers shop, using the room for beauty treatments. My question is, who decides the prices I charge for treatments? I would've thought me!! but the owner wants me to undercut everyone in the area, and tbh i'm not happy with that.

I'm starting renting a room Thursday and I've decided the prices not sure if thats normal everywhere as it is the first one I've rented

You rent the room, pay your own taxes and are self employed?

Then it's your business and you decide the prices. Does the barbers landlord have any input on their business?

You might need to rethink taking on the room. What else will they expect? You are either employed, their rules or self employed, your rules. Trying to mix the both will result in unhappiness on both parties.

Do you really want to be known as the place who does cheap ...? Some of my clients avoid the cheapest places. They associate low cost with low quality. Why not charge your worth? Who will be the casualty of a price war? The established salon or the new place? Who knows?

Whatever price you charge be it expensive or less, you will appeal to some and not to others.

Good luck x

I decide the prices in my room, as it's my business, you should decide the prices for your business.

Under cutting actually gets you no where tbh I have treatments if the therapist is good and friendly, not because she's the cheapest.
I just would worry that if someone else comes along cheaper would you have to lower your prices? At the end of the day it's your profit that cuts into.

Kimxx

Your business, your prices :)

Sent from my GT-S5570 using SalonGeek

Completly agree with Redchick x

I too rent a beauty room, have been there for over 5 years, I am self-employed & set all my prices, pay my own tax etc & pay for all the course I go on.

Bit of advice, be strong & make it clear that you cant be walked over, you know your profession & are good at it. I dont like the sound that the owner thinks he can tell you what to do regarding your prices.

Also make you mind up from the off what you will do regarding giving treatments to the staff/owner etc either charge them full price or give them 10% off. dont do what I did & do it all for free, once you make that mistake it is hard to go back. Just remember it costs you time & money to do treatments for others.

When I rented my first beauty room about 9 years ago, I was young, innocent, not very outspoken, would have done anything to keep people happy (boy, how I have changed now) & people (bullys/salon owners) spot this a mile off & will take advantage of people weaker than them. I am not saying you are anything like how I was, but what I am trying to get at is, the owner will push you around if he knows he can & he is trying this already.

I agree with the other in not undercutting others, charge similar.

If the owner says anything, just say, for the equipment/products you use you cant justify going any less.

Good luck Hun, it is such an exciting time x:hug:x

Latest posts

Back