Beauty salons opening from Monday 13th July in England

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You sound a little calmer and settled which is good to hear. Good to hear you're charging your worth, and it sounds like there are enough adaptions you can make to at least get started. None of this is forever, and we'll learn and refine as we go. Chin up Chuck, you got this
Thanks for all your help Trinity, it’s nice to have someone who’s got your back even though we’ve never met
Good luck for when you reopen & good luck everyone else!

One thing i do want to check as can’t seem to find an answer anywhere. I go to a sheltered accommodation & sometimes do residents on different days but I am going to try & get them all on the same day to work better. After visiting each flat, I will clean all my tools & equipment before I head off to the next flat, plus changing my gloves & apron.
My question is, do I need to change or sanitise my visor & change mask as well between each resident? I will be at the accommodation about 2-2 and half hours. Want to try & keep ppe costs down but not for the sake of safety!

Hi I work from home on my own, I’ve been reading all the comments and it’s got me worried, I’ve booked a lady in for a luxury manicure and pedicure, I am allowing 1/2 in between ladies to clean etc but now I’m wondering whether I should be doing appointments this long , will take about 2 hours. Also do we have to wear gloves and aprons. I’ve never got on working in gloves [emoji45]‍♀️

My question is, do I need to change or sanitise my visor & change mask as well between each resident? I will be at the accommodation about 2-2 and half hours. Want to try & keep ppe costs down but not for the sake of safety!

Absolutely yes

Hi I work from home on my own, I’ve been reading all the comments and it’s got me worried, I’ve booked a lady in for a luxury manicure and pedicure, I am allowing 1/2 in between ladies to clean etc but now I’m wondering whether I should be doing appointments this long , will take about 2 hours. Also do we have to wear gloves and aprons. I’ve never got on working in gloves [emoji45]‍♀

Guidelines suggest keeping appointments short, for me 2 hours would be too long. The longer the exposure, the greater the chance of infection, hence the advice to keep it short.

Cannyou scale the time frame back but keep the luxury elements, letvthe client know there will ge some changes in the short term to follow guidelines but it won't be forever.

Absolutely yes
That’s what I though, thanks again! Might need to get more visors then at this rate lol

Hi I work from home on my own, I’ve been reading all the comments and it’s got me worried, I’ve booked a lady in for a luxury manicure and pedicure, I am allowing 1/2 in between ladies to clean etc but now I’m wondering whether I should be doing appointments this long , will take about 2 hours. Also do we have to wear gloves and aprons. I’ve never got on working in gloves [emoji45]‍♀
I have booked a couple of 2 hour appointments this week as being mobile it’s not viable to do less. Manicure & Pedicure but i’m going to try & work like a dog to decrease the time. Will see how it goes, it’s early days. At least with a pedicure you are not so close to the client, you could almost be at a metre distance.
Aprons I would say definitely use to help protect your clothing. Gloves I think are recommended if doing skin to skin contact work but if you can’t get on with them, just make sure you wash your hands thoroughly & often.

Good luck to everyone starting today!
Will be nice to see everyone again but also very nervous!

I’m nervous [emoji51]

I have booked a couple of 2 hour appointments this week as being mobile it’s not viable to do less. Manicure & Pedicure but i’m going to try & work like a dog to decrease the time. Will see how it goes, it’s early days. At least with a pedicure you are not so close to the client, you could almost be at a metre distance.
Aprons I would say definitely use to help protect your clothing. Gloves I think are recommended if doing skin to skin contact work but if you can’t get on with them, just make sure you wash your hands thoroughly & often.

Thanks. Will see how I get on with gloves

I’m nervous [emoji51]

I'm not opening until next week and I can't sleep and keep getting that sinking feeling in my stomach

I’ve had several requests for haircuts etc. but I’ve decided to put them off for now. I did one last week which was fine but I know my client had been shielding the entire time and receiving her groceries online so I knew the risk to me was minimal.

My DH has been feeling exhausted a lot more lately so I know that this can be a sign that his immune system is struggling so I definitely won’t risk compromising that.

So, I only had 3 clients in today, finished at 9am - 2pm. Treatment total 2.5 hours the rest of the time was cleaning, hour & a half!!!
I had a meltdown when I got home because I absolutely hated it!
I hate the PPE, my upper back feels like it has split in two & i’m just dreading doing anymore.
To me, it is no longer an enjoyable job & if the PPE doesn’t get any better & my routine doesn’t get easier, I really feel like this isn’t for me anymore. I kept forgetting things too!
I’m just hoping it’s first day problems & everything will fall into place but who knows. :sad face:
I hope i’m not putting anyone off lol

Thanks. Will see how I get on with gloves
I was so sweaty & because my hands still felt wet after washing them, the gloves kept ripping ARGH
Otherwise it was actually quite nice massaging in them.

I’m just hoping it’s first day problems & everything will fall into place but who knows. :sad face: I hope i’m not putting anyone off lol

I'm sad you had a rough day, sit down have a cuppa and a good cry :confused: It was never going to be easy but you've done it and survived, tomorrow will be easier as you know what not to do now.

Don't feel rushed, take your time to set your equipment, I suspect you're forgetting things as you're trying to provide the same service as before, but it's not the same. Give yourself some credit for even doing the treatment and your client will get used to the new way.

Similarly with your gloves, if your hands felt wet then they probably were, you'll need to spend more time drying them and give them a moment or two to return to normal temperature after washing under hot water. It feels like forever to you because you're rushing but clients won't really be taking any notice.

Try to get some sleep tonight and let us know how you get on tomorrow

So, I only had 3 clients in today, finished at 9am - 2pm. Treatment total 2.5 hours the rest of the time was cleaning, hour & a half!!!
I hate the PPE, my upper back feels like it has split in two & i’m just dreading doing anymore.
To me, it is no longer an enjoyable job & if the PPE doesn’t get any better & my routine doesn’t get easier, I really feel like this isn’t for me anymore. I kept forgetting things too!
I’m just hoping it’s first day problems & everything will fall into place but who knows. :sad face:

I was so sweaty & because my hands still felt wet after washing them, the gloves kept ripping ARGH

If you are going to perform massage in gloves, you need to make sure you dry your hands thoroughly and then apply a generous layer of talc before putting the gloves on. The talc will absorb the sweat.
Its also fine to have a fresh pair of gloves at a suitable point during the massage (such as when they roll over and they can't see what you're doing anyway.) Perhaps get some ready powdered latex gloves to use rather than the un-powdered varieties.

Will make sure I dry my hands. Start back on Wednesday, very nervous [emoji26]. Try and get some rest x

I start work tomorrow too 8-3 I’m so nervous! I’m sure il be fine.. just strange going back after having so long off :(

Thankyou for the support, have done plenty of crying LOL But hopefully nice glass of wine, tv & early night will do the trick.
Donnalizzy & traciecheeky good luck! Are you guys in a salon? I hope it will be easier for you if you are.
I was starting to get ideas about a permanent space before lockdown as I was struggling with Mobile then but i’m really thinking about it again now. Not sure how finances would be & I would lose my lovely elderly clients but I feel it’s got to be easier in the current situation.

Thankyou for the support, have done plenty of crying LOL But hopefully nice glass of wine, tv & early night will do the trick.
Donnalizzy & traciecheeky good luck! Are you guys in a salon? I hope it will be easier for you if you are.
I was starting to get ideas about a permanent space before lockdown as I was struggling with Mobile then but i’m really thinking about it again now. Not sure how finances would be & I would lose my lovely elderly clients but I feel it’s got to be easier in the current situation.

I work in a express beauty bar located in Sainsbury’s, my boss have been fab and reassured us we’ll be fine, I know I will just me being silly x

I work in a express beauty bar located in Sainsbury’s, my boss have been fab and reassured us we’ll be fine, I know I will just me being silly x
Only natural to be nervous & as you said, it’s been a long time since we last worked! At least it sounds like you have a great, caring boss & colleagues x

Sorry you had such a difficult time, I’m starting next week. Spent the whole of yesterday messaging clients.
I feel there’s so much to remember and it’s going to be mentally tiring!
I’m mobile too and usually I store everything at my parents’ and I’ve spent lockdown with them so I’m moving back to my place on Sunday and won’t want to be going in to their house once I start work.
I can’t store everything in my car as I have 2 big dogs and they will have to go to my parents in the day while I’m working!
Really hope the PPE gets more comfy over time and hope you have a better day today!

I'm not opening until next week and I can't sleep and keep getting that sinking feeling in my stomach

I had nightmares on Sunday night about the salon
I only booked four of my favourite clients in as well to test the waters and I was still nervous as anything.

Hope you chill out a little as the week goes by x

Latest posts

Back