Beauty salons opening from Monday 13th July in England

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know where you’re coming from, I started back on Wednesday, work from home on my own, felt like first day at school, hardly slept the night before, seems to take ages cleaning , got a spray bottle of diluted barbicide and seem to get through loads of kitchen roll as use to clean down, think I over clean, seem to touch so much when working, as for mask visor AND I wear glasses which get steamed up all the time, getting through loads of ppe as keep forgetting items so have to keep going to my cupboard, remove gloves get item out put new gloves on, this is going to cost us a fortune [emoji26][emoji26]
Now I have to fit in face treatments [emoji24]

Gloves are not essential, proper handwashing it just as effective, unless you are dealing with allergic reactions of course.

You don't have to add in face treatments unless you're ready, and it's not for a few weeks yet so you'll be more confident by then, chin up lovely, you can do this

Thanks for the messages of support Geeks, you all rock :cool:

Had about half an hour with my neighbour and friend who is a nurse, she offered to pop in and go through my cleaning routine and plans.

A couple of interesting points she raised, just in case they help someone else:-

1) I answered the door in full PPE (disposable apron, mask and visor) - she said when I first opened the door she was shocked and a bit taken aback, but her first thought was 'shit! She's taking this really seriously!' Which made her then feel really confident about coming in. So consider how you want to open the door.

2) if a client hasn't touched it, it's not dirty - that became a sanity check for me, just the fact that they were in the room made me think everything had to be cleaned but that's not correct.

3) PPE bin and hand sanitiser by the door for exit, I've been concentrating on entry and during, I didn't really consider leaving. Bin for client mask and hand sanitiser for after removing it so you send them away completely clean.

4) Relax :cool: I'm doing over and above what she was expecting, and doing it well. If I think I've made a mistake then just sanitise hands again, after all the prep and arrangements in place even if I do touch something by mistake the sanitiser will sort it.

I feel much better now and am ready gor Tuesday when my next 2 clients are in. Have a great weekend Geeks :p

Thanks for the messages of support Geeks, you all rock :cool:

Had about half an hour with my neighbour and friend who is a nurse, she offered to pop in and go through my cleaning routine and plans.

A couple of interesting points she raised, just in case they help someone else:-

1) I answered the door in full PPE (disposable apron, mask and visor) - she said when I first opened the door she was shocked and a bit taken aback, but her first thought was 'shit! She's taking this really seriously!' Which made her then feel really confident about coming in. So consider how you want to open the door.

2) if a client hasn't touched it, it's not dirty - that became a sanity check for me, just the fact that they were in the room made me think everything had to be cleaned but that's not correct.

3) PPE bin and hand sanitiser by the door for exit, I've been concentrating on entry and during, I didn't really consider leaving. Bin for client mask and hand sanitiser for after removing it so you send them away completely clean.

4) Relax :cool: I'm doing over and above what she was expecting, and doing it well. If I think I've made a mistake then just sanitise hands again, after all the prep and arrangements in place even if I do touch something by mistake the sanitiser will sort it.

I feel much better now and am ready gor Tuesday when my next 2 clients are in. Have a great weekend Geeks :p
This must’ve really helped you to feel better!
Really good advice, thanks for sharing

Hi
So what about all the items we touch as we have also touched our ladies skin

Hi
So what about all the items we touch as we have also touched our ladies skin

She explained that once we've both washed and sanitised the risk is something like 0.002% chance of transmission so virtually undetectable BUT if you feel uncomfortable then sanitise as necessary, you can't over clean. Does that help my lovely ?

She explained that once we've both washed and sanitised the risk is something like 0.002% chance of transmission so virtually undetectable BUT if you feel uncomfortable then sanitise as necessary, you can't over clean. Does that help my lovely ?

Yes thanks It definitely helps with manicures and pedicures but I guess when your massaging their legs or arms or waxing legs etc the risk gets higher as we don’t sanitizer those ‍♀️ it’s such a mine field

Yes thanks It definitely helps with manicures and pedicures but I guess when your massaging their legs or arms or waxing legs etc the risk gets higher as we don’t sanitizer those ‍♀ it’s such a mine field

You could santise them, if you're massaging arms as part of massage then you're probably not going any higher than elbows, its not unreasonable to ask them to wash up to their elbows when doing their arrival handwash.

With legs (I dont wax, so I don't know) can you wipe the legs with antibacterial wipes or gel before starting?

Hi all. I had all of these issues on our first practise day. What I’m doing is I have a “stop” point where I hold clients. I’m usually not wearing PPE when they arrive as I might be checking emails or drinking tea. I sanitise my hands, put my visor on, adjust my mental attitude and then take their temperature with a touch free thermometer and spray their hands with sanitiser.

obs I ask them first,

then I can relax.

I do their treatment and set to one side everything we touch. I wash my hands straight after the appointment, then I take their payment, show them out and lock the door,

when they’ve gone, I strip the room of disposable paper, empty the bin, scrub my tools and leave them sanitising and wash my hands. Then I put on gloves and wipe down bottles, spray the desk, chair, card machine and anything else they’ve touched including the bathroom before chucking the gloves in the bin and washing my hands. I unlock the door and open it, set up for my next treatment, mop the floor if they’ve undressed, make myself a cup of tea and check my emails.

repeat.

We’re not treating people who have symptoms. We need to be cautious but don’t get paranoid. As long as we don’t have clients coughing and sneezing and sweating on everything the infection risk is very small. Washing our hands frequently, keeping a door or window open, sanitising, wearing a visor and taking all reasonable precautions will keep us safe.

i wear an apron in the salon and take it off before I leave, and change my shoes and wash my hands as soon as I get home. That’s it.

Everyone must do what feels right for them, but there’s no “need” to do more than the above.

For massage, I’m just giving my arms a good wash afterwards and then showering at home.

I use nilaqua which is an NHS approved, alcohol free sanitiser, it gives 6 hours of protection so if I had more than one massage client I’d use nilaqua on my arms in between clients.

there is a whole gloves/no gloves debate and no+one has decided what the answer is. Because I’m happy with my sanitiser, I’m happy to be without gloves for now. I haven’t decided about the 1st August when facial treatments are permitted in the U.K.

You could santise them, if you're massaging arms as part of massage then you're probably not going any higher than elbows, its not unreasonable to ask them to wash up to their elbows when doing their arrival handwash.

With legs (I dont wax, so I don't know) can you wipe the legs with antibacterial wipes or gel before starting?

Good idea with the manicures and I do have a pre wax spray so will have a look

How’s everyone doing? Those that went back this week, how are you finding things? X

How’s everyone doing? Those that went back this week, how are you finding things? X

I'm 6 clients in, getting more confident as I go but bloody hating it. Lovely to see everyone, catch up and the social side, but the PPE side is not fun. I'm knackered after doing 2 a day, how some of you are doing 4/5/6 I do not know.

I'm 6 clients in, getting more confident as I go but bloody hating it. Lovely to see everyone, catch up and the social side, but the PPE side is not fun. I'm knackered after doing 2 a day, how some of you are doing 4/5/6 I do not know.
Bless you, hope it gets easier for you. Really not fun anymore though.

Just finished my first week and have to say I really enjoyed it. I was really stressed about restarting and slept little the previous weekend but it was fine. I’m enjoying the relaxed pace now but not the so much the less cash lol.
All consultations and screening are done online and I asked all clients to send pics of what they wanted. It’s all so organised and I think I’ll continue this way in future. No more showing loads of colours and glitters again! Most appointments are just over the hour now so actually less than they used to be.

Not sure if anyone has seen this with the reopening of all close contact services on the 1st August
https://britishbeautycouncil.com/th...-share-guidance-for-hair-and-beauty-services/Not sure how you can circle the client during a facial :-/ & as for doing treatments at arms length, how uncomfortable & impossible I would have thought.
Also, the last time I checked, we have to face the client for nail treatments :rolleyes:

Not sure if anyone has seen this with the reopening of all close contact services on the 1st August
https://britishbeautycouncil.com/th...-share-guidance-for-hair-and-beauty-services/Not sure how you can circle the client during a facial :-/ & as for doing treatments at arms length, how uncomfortable & impossible I would have thought.
Also, the last time I checked, we have to face the client for nail treatments :rolleyes:

And the ‘face away from client when waxing their face’ someone’s going to get a spatula up their nose [emoji23]

And the ‘face away from client when waxing their face’ someone’s going to get a spatula up their nose [emoji23]
Or half an eyebrow!!:eek:
Also what I don’t get is the hand & nail treatments suggested treatment time is 20 mins to 2 hours, but a manicure or pedicure is only up to 1 hour...what is a mani or pedi if it isn’t a hand & nail treatment???!!!! :confused:

Last edited:
Thanks for asking @Enchanting Beauty, how are you?
I’m enjoying being back more than I thought but it’s physically tiring with the ppe and all the extras to remember are mentally tiring.
Also people are moaning about wearing masks(I think it’s because it’s in their own home)
I’ve had one say she gets too hot from being menopausal and one say it effects her anxiety.
I only ask them to wear it in the treatment.

So facial electrolysis with client wearing mask? Hmm.....

If the client always has to wear a covering then why didn’t they add it to the list of shops with Friday’s new rules?

Is this a document that shouldn’t be in the public domain yet? Haven’t seen it anywhere else (yet!!).

It maybe that the final version issued by government will be different??

Don’t know what to think at the moment. Makes me not want to work anymore ☹️

Or half an eyebrow!!:eek:
Also what I don’t get is the hand & nail treatments suggested treatment time is 20 mins to 2 hours, but a manicure or pedicure is only up to 1 hour...what is a mani or pedi if it isn’t a hand & nail treatment???!!!! :confused:

It’s stupid isn’t it.
I won’t be offering facials or lip and chin wax, anything where the mask has to come off.

I can’t see how they consider facials to be workable with the ‘circling’ of the client but make up is unsafe. It’s the same criteria really but with a facial you’re really touching the face.

Tbh I don’t think the beauty industry should of been allowed to open, I’m afraid we’re going to be the super spreaders and it will get worse.
It just doesn’t make sense for such close quarters to be allowed.

It doesn’t help that after the first week of bedlam half our clients haven’t come back and have told us when contacted that they don’t feel comfortable coming to a salon for their hair or beauty right now.
My friend at another salon told me that when she contacted one of her fortnightly regulars she laughed and basically said ‘ you must be kidding’ in regards to coming back to the salon for her hair and waxing right now.

There’s about 6 salons in our town centre and when we’ve been having little looks out there’s no one in the them and other members of staff from the other salons have been coming over to ask if it’s quiet here too ☹️

Latest posts

Back