Beauty teaching qualifications

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeautifullyMobi

Reaction score
Hi sorry im new to this so if i make mistakes im sorry in advance

I am currently a self employed mobile hairdresser and beautician have been for 6 years been in the industry 10 years or so i am wanting to train to get my teaching qualifications

i am wondering if anyone can help and tell me what qualifications i need dont know where to start

Been on the phone to 2 colleges today for over an hour in my area and no further forward

I currently have NVQ level 2 and 3 in hairdressing NVQ level 2 in beauty i also have extra qualifications in teeth whitening,nail extensions, shellac gel polish IPL permanent hair reduction and IPL skin treatments

Any advice would be much apprecited

Start with Ptlls.which is a level 3 or 4 NVQ and is an introduction to part time teaching in the lifelong learning sector.
From this you can then go on to do DTLLS which is the diploma.You have to have teaching hours in place to do this its about 2 years and 75 teaching hours are needed for each year at an approved place of teaching.After this you can do your assessors award.
Usually you will only be able to teach in an fe college with level 3 in your subject.
If you want to do your own courses or work for private schools,companies etc you may just need PTLLS.

Thank you for that i thought i may need level 3 in beauty. Do you know if you can do your level 3 beauty along side doing the teaching? Or do you have to be qualified 1st thanks

I know can u can do your level 3 alongside your HNC but this is in Belfast. I am finishing off modules now in my level 3 to do my HNC' HND and assessors award. Takes 3/4 years. This is in northern Ireland mind u but I can't see it any different. Good luck

To teach beauty you need a level 3 in it and 3 years industry experience. I would hope to think that based on your current experience, if you were to do level 3 beauty asap then this wouldnt be a problem. Im not 100% sure though so hopefully someone can confirm my reply!

I currently do beauty and nails only but am thinking of taking nvqs in hair to increase my teaching opportunities but im mot sure if i need more experience in the hair industry afterwards in order to facilitate this.

I guess a key question here is "do you have to have 3 years experience in absolutely everything you want to teach after getting your level 3 in it?"

Hope we get some answers :)

Random thought....i know of a beauty therapy teacher who was doing her nvq3 in nails whilst already teaching beauty.

Most people look for the experience of 3 years and to do ur hnc hand u need 3 years experience as this more to do with spa and business.

Lecturers can upgrade anytime.

I could go and do my assessors award without doing my hnc or hand but that means I can only teach below my qualifications and not higher. Ur better having it all.

thanks for replys everyone it is a bit of a tricky one i am going to meet a college lecturer tonight to get some information if i get any further forward will keep yous updated

thanks very much.

Latest posts

Back