Beauty | The Low Down On Val Garland's Online Make Up School

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Ed.

Reaction score
When it comes to make up artist royalty, they don't come much more experienced or highly sought after than Val Garland. Garland can lay claim to almost every magazine cover, every designer runway and most of Hollywood's A-list when it comes to her CV so it's not surprise that people are, quite literally, clamouring to get on the Val Garland School Of Make Up.

The course, hosted by Mastered, the online fashion school will offer existing make up artists the change to hone their skills. Speaking to Allure.com, Garland explained what she wants the new school to achieve.

What appealed to you most about partnering with Mastered to create this course?
“It was the opportunity to share my knowledge. I don’t think anything like this has been done before, so to be part of the first one is incredibly exciting. When you think of makeup school, it's all very boring; this feels more like a sort of BBC documentary, a little bit more fly-on-the-wall. This course isn't about showing you how to put on eyeliner, the best way to apply a lip, or how to choose foundation. Instead, you get an insider’s knowledge of how to respond to a brief, how to work with photographers and stylists, where you are in the pecking order on set. I’ll share secrets about what to do when a model's late and you've got ten minutes before she has to be on set, to understand how to develop a relationship with a designer and appreciate their vision. Doing makeup is 30 percent of the job, so I'll be teaching the other 70 percent."

How will the course work?
"Each week, new videos will be released on a different theme. One week I will be tackling editorial briefs, the next week I will be tackling campaign briefs, and so on. The students get a new video once a week, some written content, and a new project to complete, which they’ll have to go back and review later on. They upload their pictures to the Mastered online classroom and will get feedback from my team. I’ll be doing live student reviews throughout, looking at the best work and letting them know how they could improve. There will also be Q&As, some of which I will be taking part in."

What aspect are you most looking forward to? "
I’m looking forward to the Q&As. I’m looking forward to being inspired by the students. I’m also looking forward to learning, because I think you do learn from each other and there is no right or wrong; there are just different ways of doing things. Sometimes something that may appear to be a mistake will lead you somewhere else, and you may discover something new.”

How will you select your students?
"It has to be very strict. There has been an overwhelming amount of interest, which is fantastic, but we are looking for only people with a certain level of skills; they need to know how to do makeup already—we’re not teaching that. We want to find people who are committed and will make the best of the course, people who are truly passionate and are going to use this as a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. We will be analyzing their career choices so far to see if they are really stretching themselves and growing creatively as a person. We want people who stand out from the crowd."

Where will their work then be seen?
"We will be championing the students who are the most talented—putting their work up on the Mastered social-media channels and sharing the work with some exciting brand partners. We can’t say who just yet…"

What are your hopes for the graduates?
"My hopes are to have inspired the next generation of amazing talent and to see them achieve great things and do really well."

What are the challenges of teaching makeup remotely?
"I guess the only possible challenge is that it’s not immediate, although it’s almost immediate because of the Internet! But as it’s not about classic skills and your process—there doesn’t need to be that level of immediate feedback anyway. Plus, people are so used to learning online now, using things like Twitter and Instagram to talk to one another. People taking this course have probably spent a lot of their career interacting with people online. I think the live element is really important, so it’s not just passive. We aren't expecting people to just watch the course videos; we want them to engage and ask interesting questions, not only of me but of each other, too."

How will you adapt your mode of teaching to this medium?
"I don't think I will change how I teach. I actually don’t like being filmed, don’t like having my picture taken, so the only way I can do it is by just being myself. I will say it how it is."

Until then...geek on!

The Ed.

Latest posts

Back