Beauty therapist wanting to work in the USA

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I’m a 20 year old beautician from England, by the end of June I will be a level 3 qualified beauty therapist (already got my level 2 qualification and a years industry experience in a salon). I really want to be able to take my qualification abroad and work in the USA with it but I don’t really know how realistic it is or where to start. I know I’d need to apply for a visa but I don’t know which one or how eligible I’d be for one. I know it’s a bit far fetched but if anyone had any knowledge or advice that would be great. Thank you xxx

I’m pretty sure you can’t remain in the USA longer than 3 months as a visitor. Unless you have family etc. I was in America for 3 months many many years ago but not able or allowed to work. I think you’d need to contact the authorities regarding info on visas and ability to work there. Some beauty qualifications are recognised world wide. I think my own is (City & Guilds) and I’m sure CIBTAC and CIDESCO are too.

I’m a 20 year old beautician from England, by the end of June I will be a level 3 qualified beauty therapist (already got my level 2 qualification and a years industry experience in a salon). I really want to be able to take my qualification abroad and work in the USA with it but I don’t really know how realistic it is or where to start. I know I’d need to apply for a visa but I don’t know which one or how eligible I’d be for one. I know it’s a bit far fetched but if anyone had any knowledge or advice that would be great. Thank you xxx

In order to work in the USA you'd need some sort of working visa, and if you had one you'd have to also take the licensing exam for whatever state it is you chose to settle in. I have both British and Canadian citizenship and haven't found an easy way to be able to work in the USA, and things are even tighter right now with the current president. You could probably get a working holiday visa for Canada, though - something to look into!

Yes I worked as a beauty therapist in Canada and it was a great experience, much easier to get a working visa. Not sure if it still exists, but it is possible to to get a temporary visa to work in the USA if you are a recent graduate, if you contact your local student travel company they can arrange a visa for you

Thanks for the advice guys

Thanks for the advice guys

Somewhere like Whistler might be worth considering - lots of hotels with spas there, close to Vancouver which is just a short flight or drive away from the USA (if you're set on wanting to spend some time exploring there too.)

Latest posts

Back