Beauty therapy and dyslexia

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeighBee26

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am thinking about retraining as a beauty therapist come September. I am slightly worried though, as I have dyslexia and sometimes spelling and expressing myself on paper can be quite tricky. I have had extra time for exams in the past, which luckily for me helps a lot. I think it was the difference between getting C's and D's in my GCSEs if I'm perfectly honest.

I suppose what I wanted to know was bearing in mind spelling can be a challenge, will that be detrimental to me come exams? Is there anyone out there who has dyslexia? What were your experiences? I'm just a little worried that I'll be marked down during exams because I've spelt the names for muscles or bones slightly wrong. The most frustrating thing is that most of the time I have the word in my head. I just can't get it down! If it was an oral exam I'd probably be fine.

Thanks for any help! x

Hi,
If you opt for a college course they will put in lots of support for you. Let them know when you attend your interview because the sooner the tutor can fill in paperwork for the support the quicker it will be in place at the start of your course. You will probably be required to attend an assessment before the start of your course to work out what level of help you will need. This is nothing to worry about - very straight forward.
I've trained lots of very successful beauty therapists with dyslexia over the years, it won't hold you back.
Good luck for the future, hope it works out well for you.

Ahhh yes - I've had many assessments, so I'm pretty old hat at that. I have declared it on my application form and detailed the help I've had in the past, so I'm guessing they'll make the next steps?

I think it's just the thought of having to spell long, complicated science words that's daunting me a little. However, I got through my degree, so I'm sure I'll get through this. I'm just really excited to get going now. I wish I had done it sooner.

I'm dyslexic and proud of it!

When I trained as a BT and MUA college were very supportive and helpful

You may need To be statemented again if it has be a while since your last dyslexia assessment.

Yeah last statement was 2008! I have so many now, although I never really understood why I needed to keep getting it done. Not like it's going away anytime soon.

Dyslexia has its upsides. There are things I'm good at that others may not be : )

I have dyslexia and dispraxia so I can't spell and get everything muddled up. Never held me back. Sometimes we just have to work a bit harder than most!

Latest posts

Back