Beauty Therapy Training! What Do You Think?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs.Clooney

Positive Geek
Reaction score
As some of you may already know, I have decided to train in Beauty Therapy. The big question is Where and How? Exploring and researching this is huge. There are courses with and courses without NVQ's.

I don't want to study full time at college for a whole year as this really won't be possible with my family commitments. Like Sassy Hassy said in an earlier thread, college is not necessarily all it's cracked out to be. There's good ones, bad ones and quite frankly the thought of college day in and day out for me does my head in. I also have a limited buget.

I have the option of training for an Independent Beauty Diploma with the person with whom I did my bridal training. I enjoyed my bridal training enormously and it is recognized by the Guild of Professional Beauty Therapists. However, the beauty diploma is very intensive over 6 days and does not carry an NVQ. Is an NVQ absolutely essential if I never plan to work in a salon?

The Carlton Institute offers an NVQ level 2 course over 6 days which can be covered in your own time and the NVQ completed post training. However, why are courses like this available if other peeps have to go to college full time to study?

I really don't want this thread to turn into a slinging match about who & what offers better training and prospects, but could I have some advise please? From my research, in the nicest possible way, I get the impression that short intensive courses are frowned upon by the idea of how can one learn so much in such a short period of time when others train for longer?

As a former nurse I have already studied anatomy and Physiology. I have some cosmetics and skin care experience so feel I could become just as qualified with a short course. Constuctive comments please peeps!

Well i have done long and short courses as you know. I think most important is how good your tutor is, you could be on a ten year course, but if you have a crap tutor you have crap training!

I think what people forget with most GOOD short courses is that you don't do the course and get slapped with a qualification. You do the training as you would at college. but do most of your practising and case studies on your own at home - so this only appeals to people who are confident enough to go ahead unaided. And to be honest when I did training at college the amount of one to one supervision I was given was less than on my short courses as the classes are so darned big!

THEN you go back to have your final assessments and hopefully pass, just as you would at college. Like any training it is ongoing and you should keep reading industry books and mags to learn more and more!

Thank you Tricky. I'll have a closer look. There is sooooo much to take in with these courses. I don't know where to start.

seems like a bit of a mine field for me too
good luck and Keep us updated

I have already spoken to Tracy about this and these are my views for the record.

I have done a level 2 and 3 beauty qualification both NVQ and both at college.We are not talking about 1 unit here but eye lash tinting/eyebrow tinting,facials,waxing,mani,pedi,make-up.

I personally dont see how you can cover all of this as well as anatomy and physiology,health and safety,contra-actions,contra-indications,product info,consultations and I am sure there are a few bits I have missed out,all in 6 days.

I know you have said that you have some knowledge but even with that knowledge I personally do not see how this can all be learnt and be remembered in such a short amount of time.

The difference with going to college and doing a short course is that when you go to college you have to do several assessments for each unit.You have a lecturer watching over you and telling you where you are going wrong.You have the oportunity to bounce off each other in class and you have the public coming into you for various treatments which give you confidence and above all lots of practice.

When you are on a short course you dont have lots of different people to practice on.There isn't enough time.It's very intensive.I know as I have done short courses as well.The information you are bombarded with is very hard to take in and keep in,especially if you dont get say a facial in for a couple of weeks after you have qualified.Also with facials I cant see how you would have the time to actually work on all the different skin types,as we had to at college.There wouldn't be the time.What about different types of masks for specific problems?these couldn't possibly be all carried out because of the time issue.

It's hard for even the brainiest person to pick up on an entire facial routine,learn application and order of products,correctly carrying out a skin analysis,contra-actions and contra-indications all in one day,then as I said perhaps not doing one for several weeks once qualified and then to have to remember all of it.

I am only putting my views across as I think too many people are seeing these short courses as an easy option.

I studied long and hard for my qualifications and all in all it took me 2 years.I just dont see how anyone can call themselves a beauty therapist after 6 days and I think it's unfair that thes course are allowed to mislead people into believing that they can be one in such a short amount of time.

Hope I havn't offended anyone as this is not my intention at all.:)

Also college is in fact far cheaper than attending a private course.Luckily you have some prior knowledge but what about all the people that dont?xx

i did nvq level 2 at college and loved it. (3 hours every wednesday evening)

It was very indepth, very intense and very fast paced.

I am very happy with the training i received although we did change tutors early into the course the first one being really really bad and the new one being EXCELLENT.

I know you can do 'day' courses with ellisions and such like but i wonder just HOW much you can learn.

College i think was 36 weeks and really it skipped by quite quickly....have to say it was probably the best thing ive ever done!

amb xxx

I dont agree with short courses.They are a cop out.I wouldt like anyone who wasnt properly qualifeid to give me a treatment.I want someone who knows what they are doing.A real therepist not some DIYer who picked up some pointers on a few days training.:irked:

Babsann , i couldnt agree with you anymore - that was one of the best reply i have seen on the geek and has my head nodding up and down . This is so true , there is no way you can call your self a beauty therapist after 6 days or a few weeks. If its taken Babs and i to get where we are now (and im still in training) then it should say something really. We have been assesed on hundreds of things. Seriously sweet if you want to be a beauty therapist i really would consider college. I know its not ideal for every one but you learn so so so much and its always something that you know will be there to support you.

Give it some more thought , beauty therapists will take either a one year - NVQ 2 or 2 years - NVQ 3 or even higher the HND. You can learn stuff within 6 days but its not as good as college. Training is everything in this industry.

Good luck sweet
xx

It all depends on what you want to do with your qualification in the end.

If you want to work for someone else or even open your own salon with high quality product most insist that you have an NVQ2 (dermalogica as an example).

but if you want the qualification for just a top up for a few of your nail clients then the shorter courses could be a good starting point.

Like I say it all depends on where you want to go with it!

I dont agree with short courses.They are a cop out.I wouldt like anyone who wasnt properly qualifeid to give me a treatment.I want someone who knows what they are doing.A real therepist not some DIYer who picked up some pointers on a few days training.:irked:

I am properly qualified with my day courses to NVQ standard ... as I said before this has been followed up with a lot of study and practice at home. I find these comments a little over the top, and although you are entitled to your opinion I know that my facials are way better than a lot of beauty therapists who have studied full time at college.

In fact the only really bad course I have done is the one I have done at college for a year and my certificate for that is still in its envelope.

Does that make all of the Creative, EZ Flow (hmmm and I think that includes Star Nails) etc etc techs less able because they have done short courses rather than a year at college? I don't think so and I know so. :rolleyes:

i have been racking my brain and i think chesham do a pt time nvq level 2 course i had some paperwork agees ago if i have kept it i will did it out
keep hunting love xx

I am properly qualified with my day courses to NVQ standard ... as I said before this has been followed up with a lot of study and practice at home. I find these comments a little over the top, and although you are entitled to your opinion I know that my facials are way better than a lot of beauty therapists who have studied full time at college.

In fact the only really bad course I have done is the one I have done at college for a year and my certificate for that is still in its envelope.

Does that make all of the Creative, EZ Flow etc etc techs less able because they have done short courses rather than a year at college? I don't think so and I know so. :rolleyes:

i agree sassy i did an intensive course 5 years ago in nails does that make me a rubish nail tech now i think not, i deffinatly recomend re training to keep up with changes and new techeques. I love nails and continue to study every day.

It all depends on what you want to do with your qualification in the end.

If you want to work for someone else or even open your own salon with high quality product most insist that you have an NVQ2 (dermalogica as an example).

but if you want the qualification for just a top up for a few of your nail clients then the shorter courses could be a good starting point.

Like I say it all depends on where you want to go with it!

I honestly can see BABSanns point of view and remember back to my nursing training days when the health Ministry introduced Nurses assistants to a six month crash course training where they then sat the board exams to qualify as registered nurses. I was LIVID as I had to slog for 3 hard years to get my nursing diploma.

I am not offended by Babs comments at all but to answer the above post, as a 42 yr old busy mum and wife of 2 girls and hubby, it is not my plan to work in a salon but from home or mobile. The Carlton Institute, for example, allow you to do your modules in your own time at your own pace so that you can practise in between. To obtain the NVQ, you have to then present your written work and practical portfolio back to the college examiner and you take the written and practical exam when you feel ready.

I my opinion, if you pass the exam then you must have reached the required standards else you would fail. I do have many friends who would be willing to be practised on in between and used to create my portfolio.

Does that make all of the Creative, EZ Flow etc etc techs less able because they have done short courses rather than a year at college? I don't think so and I know so. :rolleyes:
You have worded it well Sassy, as you always do. I do find Georgie Girl's response very dismissive and not terribly helpful as opposed to enlightening and constructive.

sorry i wasent trying to be funny but said how I feel.I wouldn't like anyone without proper training working on me.You asked and I have said.These short corses doing loads of different units are different to doing one thing like facails are nails.She is talking about loads of different things in 6 days.There is a difference and i did a short course for nails so in no way would I be critising this.:)

sorry i wasent trying to be funny but said how I feel.I wouldn't like anyone without proper training working on me.You asked and I have said.These short corses doing loads of different units are different to doing one thing like facails are nails.She is talking about loads of different things in 6 days.There is a difference and i did a short course for nails so in no way would I be critising this.:)
You have only done a short course for nails and don't seem to have furthered your nail training. Therefore, I wouldn't want you doing my nails just like you wouldn't want someone who did a brief course for beauty without furthering their beauty knowledge doing beauty treatments on you.

You have only done a short course for nails and don't seem to have furthered your nail training. Therefore, I wouldn't want you doing my nails just like you wouldn't want someone who did a brief course for beauty without furthering their beauty knowledge doing beauty treatments on you.

Actually,you dont know me and you dont know what I have or havn't done other than what I have put in my profil,Also I dont work on cleint so there is no comparson.

Someone asked for advice and I said how i felt which is that i dont think this is enough.I noticed Geeg has the same ideas about short courses and a lot of other people.
I wouldn't want to do your nails anyway,i do my friends and that is all.They give me a small ammount for my products thats all.
I dident ask for an opinion about my nails cause it's not needed.I am at college and dont have time at the moment to do courses,hence why i dont work on the public and wouldnt.OKay

Yes, I realize this, but with the short course, one can take it at their own pace and practice in between. Then one STILL has to sit an exam. If you know your stuff, you pass. If you don't know your stuff, then you don't pass!

Let me try to explain it like this. My hubby did an MBA through the Open University. As he is the bread winner in our family, it was not possible for him to do it full time. He had to do all the modules plus took a six month break for the birth of our second daughter. He also had to attend weekend classes and complete assignments which were marked by his tutor. Then he sat for an exam before passing his degree with flying colours. No mean feat and bloody hard work and I know, because myself and our 2 girls know only too well how hard he worked. His degree is very recognized and respected and no less thought of because he studied at home or didn't attend uni full time. When he sat the exam, he either knew his stuff or he didn't! Simple as that!

Actually,you dont know me and you dont know what I have or havn't done other than what I have put in my profil,Also I dont work on cleint so there is no comparson.

Someone asked for advice and I said how i felt which is that i dont think this is enough.I noticed Geeg has the same ideas about short courses and a lot of other people.
I wouldn't want to do your nails anyway,i do my friends and that is all.They give me a small ammount for my products thats all.
I dident ask for an opinion about my nails cause it's not needed.I am at college and dont have time at the moment to do courses,hence why i dont work on the public and wouldnt.OKay
Just as you don't know me and what I'm capable of. I asked for constructive replies. Not down right rude!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back