Beauty Training at Herts & Essex Acadamy Anyone been?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stacey P

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

I've been looking into training for Facials, Manicure / Pedicure, Waxing and Lash / Brow tinting and have decided on the Herts & Essex Acadamy. Has anyone trained there and if so what did you think of it? I have done a search

I'm doing my creative foundation course on the 4,5,6, 19th April and 19th May and thought I'd train in the other areas at the same time.

Any feedback would be greatful.

I did the Beauticians Certificate (think this is the same as the course you are asking about) with Herts & Essex in Feb 2004. It was an excellent course and the trainer was so nice. Did mine at St Albans although Stansted would have been nearer but couldnt do the dates I needed there. Also met Dee from this site on the same course, and she came from Leeds for the course!!

I now have my own salon and my sister is hoping to do the same course there later this year so she can come and join me.

HTH

yep i did the beauty there aswell , it is really good training, and it gave me a good insight , i was going to carry on and do the c&g but due to the traveling , have gone to a local college instead to do my itec in beauty, now i know it seems like i am paying twice, but i got some good experience after training in herts, and wanted that higher qualification , so it has stood me in good stead :)

Hi, I have done the advanced diploma in beauty therapy with the herts & essex acadmy, I trained at stansted, the owner of the acadmys is based there,she is fantastic as are all the trainers and models,especially with the waxing course, I was doing my first ever bikini wax and lets just say it went as wrong as it could possibly could,my poor model,but she was so nice and still let me wax her legs, underarms and eyebrows and top lips, must be used to it LOL.

Anyway I highly recomend them and will be going back sometime this year to do hot stone massage and hopi ear candles, thats after I have been to the creative acadamy to do my foundation L&P,then nvq 2 hairdressing at college in september.

Wow shaza your own salon already, that my master plan,I have put my name down for a shop on a new devlopement near where I live, its not going to be built for another 4 years got to get in there first though, will be doing hair, nails, beauty, sunbeds.

Did you do the C&g after your intial training?

Anyway enough from me

Empy22

Thank you for the feedback about them, its great that I can come on here and ask everyone for help. I'm so glad I found this site before making a lot of expensive mistakes.

With the feedback I've got and how nice the owner was when I spoke to them I think I shall be going with them, I've got two dates in April that I can choose from. One between my creative foundation and one after. The good thing is they have a training centre in Send which is only 10 min drive for me so I can do the C&G, which I am considering.

Hi i've been on there course aswell and like the other girls have said it was brilliant . i live in Bournemouth and went and stayed with a friend up there so i could train . would love to go back a do the full body massage course so i can then do the hot stones course!!
let us know how you get on!!
good lucky
vicky

YES i ALSO TRAINED WITH THEM WENT TO HERTS ALTHOUGH STANSTED WOULD HAVE BEEN BETTER BUT THEY COULD NOT DO MY DATES.

THE TRAINERS WERE SO NICE MADE US ALL FEEL AT HOME AND RELAXED.

THERE WERE ONLY 4 OF US ON THE COURSE THEY SAID THEY LIKE IT THIS WAY WHICH WAS GREAT.

I AM GOING TO DO MY CITY AND GUILDS WITH THEM FOR MANICURE AND NAIL EXSTENTIONS. WISH ME LUCK LOL!!!!! THIS IS TAKEN AT STANSTED SO I CAN DO THAT IN A DAY AS IT IS ONLY JUST OVER AN HOUR TO DRIVE ALSO I HAVE LOTS OF FRIENDS THAT LIVE THERE AS THIS IS WHERE I USED TO LIVE A LONG TIME AGO.

CAZ XXX

I have seen the they do a one day course for gel and silk extensions- have requested prices and so on - anyone done the extensions course there?

Hello I am Carolyn and I am quite new to becoming a nail tec, last October I did a 4 day course at the Herts and Essex Academy and got a Diploma in Nail Technology. I covered manicure, pedicure, Acrylic, Gel, f/g and silk nail extensions I think I paid £645 around that price give or take a few pounds.

Have you got your price list back from them yet.

I found the course good so much to take in but yes I enjoyed it.

Caz xxx

louisehartje said:
I have seen the they do a one day course for gel and silk extensions- have requested prices and so on - anyone done the extensions course there?

Hi all, just joined the forum today, but found it a great help.

I'm due to go on a nail tech course with H&S next week and this feedback has really helped to put my mind at ease.

I did meet Jan and Coral at the Health and Beauty Training show at Excel on Sunday (21 may) and they seemed really nice.

Can't wait to start th course

caz3 said:
Hello I am Carolyn and I am quite new to becoming a nail tec, last October I did a 4 day course at the Herts and Essex Academy and got a Diploma in Nail Technology. I covered manicure, pedicure, Acrylic, Gel, f/g and silk nail extensions I think I paid £645 around that price give or take a few pounds.

Have you got your price list back from them yet.

I found the course good so much to take in but yes I enjoyed it.

Caz xxx

Hi, I also did my course there but although the Trainers were all lovely, I'm afraid I thought it was poor training. They didn't even watch me do a full set of nails. How can you give someone a qualification when they've not produced a quality set of Nails.

I came away feeling like , oh well here we go then. I think the course was over priced & too much cramed in to 4 days. With only half a days training on Acylics. I was hoping for more.
Sorry to put a negative in but shop around well before you comit to training. The trainers were lovely & they made it fun but I think they need to make it longer & at least see a full set before they let you out with a certificate. I made a good friend on the course & she no longer does nails. Real shame coz she would of made a good tech if she'd of had better training & support.

Did massage training in Send, near Woking. The lady who trained me was lovely. Very professional and I learned a lot. I would recommend them hth's x

PS Forgot to say, if you are training at Send the place I went to to train wasn't a salon or a beauty school but within a sort of industrial estate, so just be aware if you are driving there.

Hi, I also did my course there but although the Trainers were all lovely, I'm afraid I thought it was poor training. They didn't even watch me do a full set of nails. How can you give someone a qualification when they've not produced a quality set of Nails.

I came away feeling like , oh well here we go then. I think the course was over priced & too much cramed in to 4 days. With only half a days training on Acylics. I was hoping for more.
Sorry to put a negative in but shop around well before you comit to training. The trainers were lovely & they made it fun but I think they need to make it longer & at least see a full set before they let you out with a certificate. I made a good friend on the course & she no longer does nails. Real shame coz she would of made a good tech if she'd of had better training & support.

Hi, im thinking of doing false nails but have no idea which ones to start off with,could you rec any?? Do you take a theory exam after with herts n essex??
I did a mani and pedi course with ESB and took exams after the practical was done. Also some of the girls didnt do a proper job and they passed with flyng colurs i think that its a shame because it takes you back to school days where you have to be in with the teacher.....

I did a one day gel course with them and I'm sorry to put a damper on things, but it was abysmal. It consisted of us applying a couple of tips to each other, blending with acetone and a clear overlay. We didn't get time to do anything else and there were just a few words <literally> about rebalance and removal. 'You file 'em off,' she said! :irked:

For this, we paid around £175 and when I asked about doing a French etc, I was told that was another 'Course.' Anyway, our certificates were waiting at the door and I guess we all went off as qualified gel techs!! :lol:

I didn't know any better at the time, but I do now and I've sinced trained with reputable nail companies. It actually worked out a lot cheaper and now I can actually 'Do' a set. :)

Would you mind me asking where you ended up doing your course then in the end?? There are so many courses i have been looking into on here im sooooooo confused!!! lol. :eek::irked:
Am i right to think gel would be a good place to start??

Thanx again

I think most people would agree that it's probably best to start with liquid and powder, as it's generally the most popular system.

Different people will give you different opinions on who is best to train with and it can be very difficult for a newbie to choose. There are masses of threads on the subject. Unless you've trained with every single manufacturer/company, I don't feel that anyone can say categorically that their's is necessarily the best. There are a few clear 'Leaders' in the field, though, and so it's best to do a thorough search before parting with your time and cash. Good luck! :)

Hi Geeks,

I've been looking into training for Facials, Manicure / Pedicure, Waxing and Lash / Brow tinting and have decided on the Herts & Essex Acadamy. Has anyone trained there and if so what did you think of it? I have done a search

I'm doing my creative foundation course on the 4,5,6, 19th April and 19th May and thought I'd train in the other areas at the same time.

Any feedback would be greatful.

Dont do it !!!

ALthough I agree the teachers were nice the training is very basic and rushed.

They hand out certificates to everyone and promise workshop days to build confidence which I thought would be great support but seems once they have your money (and it is expensive) then thats it your on your own.

One girl I was training with who did my make up left me looking like a clown (and passed!)
Another girl did my nails really bad they fell off the next day (and she passed) so this left me worried about my own abilitys and I felt quite unconfident to go out there and charge people I have since spent alot of time doing my friends to get better they are happy so I am about to take on clients now.

Next time I do a course I will do one at a proper college where they teach for a few weeks not a few days.I have studied some beauty courses at college and they are much more indepth and professional .
I tryed this school because I wanted to be trained quicker this backfired as I spent alot of time teaching myself after the course.

ps I was told they make little profit on the kits they sell but found the make up kit they sold me on the internet for £50 they sold me the SAME one for £95! and the gel nail products you train in you can only buy the products from them I feel this SCHOOL (if you can call it that) Is all about profit and not about training confident skilled therapists x x

I am training with The Beauty Academy (formally essex and herts) upon recommendation from my cousin who trained with them and now runs 2 successful salons, I guess its like everything you will always have people who thought it was brilliant and others who didn't its like that in everything in life. Best advice is to ring around and see who you like the sound of the best when talking to them, and ask lots of questions.

Danni x

Latest posts

Back