Becoming a college lecturer

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dolci_Dolittle

Reaction score
Hi Geeks!

I'm hoping to go to uni in the next few years to get a teaching qualification in order to become a college lecturer.

I've been having a look online and know that I'd need to do the TQFE (teacher qualification in further education course) and know what uni i'd need to apply but not to sure about how to apply for the course! The Stirling uni website is very sketchy and waffles on about UCAS but when I went on the UCAS site this course isnt listed so am going to get in touch with them to ask this.

What I really want to know is...am i right in thinking that I need to have been working in the industry for 5 years before starting the course and if anyone has any more info they can give me it would be really appreciated.

Hope i've not waffled too much!

Cheers
Lauren
xxx

Hi Geeks!

I'm hoping to go to uni in the next few years to get a teaching qualification in order to become a college lecturer.

I've been having a look online and know that I'd need to do the TQFE (teacher qualification in further education course) and know what uni i'd need to apply but not to sure about how to apply for the course! The Stirling uni website is very sketchy and waffles on about UCAS but when I went on the UCAS site this course isnt listed so am going to get in touch with them to ask this.

What I really want to know is...am i right in thinking that I need to have been working in the industry for 5 years before starting the course and if anyone has any more info they can give me it would be really appreciated.

Hope i've not waffled too much!

Cheers
Lauren
xxx

I've applied to become a college lecturer in beauty and all I was told is I need level 3 in beauty therapy so because I'll finish my course in June I'll be able to go on the course in September, for either a year or 2 depending on if I choose full time or part time, sorry it's not much help.

dont know if this is much help but my teacher at college told two girls in my class they need 5 years experience, and then something like working in a college whilst going to uni one day a week? thats what they got told anyway but ime not sure whats right xxx

I have looked at a lot of job descriptions and asked around quite a bit with regards to this and most seem to say that 3-5 years is required as a minimum.

I think this is a good thing because without industry experience, I'm not sure that you would be able to offer the most extensive experience to students.

I'm aiming to get 3-4 years under my belt and then begin my teacher training but I'm happy to get even more experience before I do this because I'm enjoying it :)

Hi,

you need to be qualified in beauty to Level 3 and have 5 years of salon experience.

:)

Even if they'll take you without the experience, don't do it! My level 3 tutor at college was 21 and had nowhere near enough experience. She was a terrible teacher and the whole group really struggled with her.

Not that I'm saying you will be a terrible teacher, I'm sure you'll be much better, but she definitely didn't have the experience to be teaching level 3.

Thanks for your replies.

I wouldnt be looking to start the course til sept '14 at which point i'll have 5 and a half years experience and be 27 so not too young xxxx

Sent from my GT-I9000 using SalonGeek

I've just finished my teaching and also done my BA hons in education. Can you not go and visit the Uni that you're applying too and speak to someone in the education dept. the course I did was the pde (professional diploma in education) it used to be known as the cert ed. you would also need to complete an a1 assessors course. Pm me if you would like any more info.

Generally the first year of teaching qualifications is undertaken in college, as opposed to university, therefore I would advise you speak to your local college. The second year is done through university (sometimes distance learning) but arranged through the college. In order to undertake a teaching qual u do not need five years commercial experience, HOWEVER, a) five years is a good guide as it has given you time to perfect your skills and gain occupational expertise (as pointed out in some above posts) and b) main reason- teachers of beauty/hair etc need to also undertake the assessors award in addition to teaching, and the requirement for an assessors award is five years exp in their chosen industry.
In order to undertake a teaching qualification you need some teaching hours in a college, as you have to prepare lesson plans etc, and be observed teaching on a number of occasions, then reflect on your teaching etc. sometimes the college you undertake the teaching qual with will take you on for a few hrs a week (unpaid of course), although this is not guaranteed. I currently have a shadow teacher who is with me 3hrs a week, and am responsible for being her mentor, offering advice and performing lesson observations which are then given to the college at which she is doing teacher training.
With regard to the assessors award, most colleges will take you on with only your teaching qualifications, as again the assessors award can only be taken when you have students to assess (you gather all the evidence, along with counter-signatories etc, answer some qu's and have some meetings with your assessor teacher), however u are normally required to gain the award within the first year.
Many colleges would like you to be qualified at level three, however it is possible to be a level two only teacher (although job opportunities are harder to come by, it is more common in hairdressing).
Hope that helps, things can be different dependant on the part of the country you live in.
X

Hey when I applied u just needed 5 years beauty experience and at least ptllls level 3 they put you through all the up to date qualifications while your employed as they vary depending on courses. Hope this helps

Not that I know about any of the actual industry of this type of stuff its really easy to apply to get the application pack from UCAS.

UCAS - Apply

They handle all the undergraduate (usually excluding part time applications) for any HE institution.

If you are postgrad graduated at a Higher Education Level degree minimum then it's direct to the University itself commonly.

I am taking a PGCHE next year but in a completely different area.

Last edited:
Eager beaver is right you must have Nvq in hair upto level 3. You then approach a local college about ptlls course you do this then move on to dttls then the following year you can complete a pdce. This course can be done full or part time. Teaching hours are a Requirement. I did this and I am now a Tutor, my route was long winded and hard work by I did it. You can achieve the assessors award later on when you are required to assess, get your foot in the door t a college or training provider as when a vacancy comes up you will hear first hand.

Please be aware that teaching hair or beauty involves a hell of a lot of paperwork! Xx

Latest posts

Back