Becoming a distributor?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jen889

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've researched online but can fond nothing beauty related. I would like to become a distributor for a product I love but is very hard to get where I live. Does anyone know what it takes to become a distributor? Does it vary company to company?

What I've read online is I will have to buy the stock I want and go from there. Just looking to see if anyone on here has become a distributor and what they did.

Thanks!

Think it depends on what you're distributing! I know some geeks on here have become distributors because the service they have received has been so poor!

Good luck x

Does anyone else have any info on this? I would love to get into the distribution side of the business but don’t know where to start

If you know which product you are looking for you can contact the brand or company and they will be able to tell you what their requirements are for distributing the product

I am a distributor, I didn't have to buy stock at all, just a demo selection and then once you have a few customers I get them to buy online and I get commission. I can buy stock if I want but I prefer to do it the online way as it's not my main source of income, I just use the products on my services and go from there!

I am a distributor, I didn't have to buy stock at all, just a demo selection and then once you have a few customers I get them to buy online and I get commission. I can buy stock if I want but I prefer to do it the online way as it's not my main source of income, I just use the products on my services and go from there!

Do you mind me asking what company you work for?

I wasn't sure if I was allowed to say but it's forever living products I do, mainly for the lotions and I love all of their stuff!! Xx

I'm a distributor for several international brands (none of which are MLM).
I sank my life savings into it, to buy stock, to create an e-commerce website take stands at trade shows, implement a complete accounts system (Sage), create consistent marketing and advertising, implement a warehouse for the stock and packaging, set up accounts with franking machine suppliers, couriers, and an entire back office function to support it.
It's flippin' hard work, and it's only now after 8 years of utter slog that it's starting to pay off. I've recently been awarded distribution rights to a couple of biiiiig brands, and that's come about because of the reputation we've gained over those 8 years.
Be prepared to be skint for a few years, and unless you've got a load of capital to plough into it it's doubtful you'll survive, let alone thrive.

We're a nail product manufacturer with distributors in several countries. Lynne describes it really well. What I would add is that while some manufacturers specify an amount of stock that's required, others are more flexible. Also that the amount of stock required also depends on the delivery time from the manufacturer - if local or within the EU, it may be possible to get a new delivery in a few days. From the USA or Asia, it is usually more cost effective to ship by sea and that can take 4 to 6 weeks after customs clearance.

You also need to have enough funds to cover your income. It really is not possible to work in a salon and build a good distribution business as this will take 100% effort. You should also understand the basics of business law, marketing, sales and customer service. Lots of good books available to help and most regions in the UK provide free new business advice - chat with your local Citizens Advice.

I second (third ;) what Lynne and Bob have said!
Whilst it is not for the faint hearted it IS rewarding when you do it and working with a brand is amazing as you have a team to work with and the support of a company x

Latest posts

Back