Becoming a hair teacher in college

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cherylj45

Reaction score
Hi, has anyone trained to become a teacher in college after being a stylist??? I currently own my own salon, and quite frankly I’ve had enough. This year has been terrible and it’s not looking great for the future. So I’m thinking I need to be employed and close the salon ASAP!!! But obviously I need to train and wondered if anyone’s got any advice please? Thanks in advance ♥️

There's lots of part time adult college courses in Teacher qualifications out there. But before please make sure it's something you really want to do. I love the practical side of 'teaching', I used to always get asked to oversee the work experience girls and junior at work and I absolutely loved it. However while I was doing my second year at college (L3) I realised I could never become a tutor. I was asked by my tutor to take a group of Level 2s for a supplementary theory class as there were some who were struggling to keep up. I spent about half of the first lesson explaining the difference between pore, pour, paw and poor to a bunch of 16 year olds. Yes, 16 year olds, who had completed their 'basic' education. Sometimes I was asked to keep an eye on the L2s if the tutor had to go somewhere for 10 minutes and it was TRYING. Eventually they realised that just because I was also a student didn't mean I'd let them get away with swearing and playing up as I was the one responsible for them at that time, but it taught me that it was personally something I was just not cut out for.

So the moral of the very long winded story is.... Please be sure. Obviously there are many amazing people out there who ARE cut out for it and I'm sure that you are one of them, but before you invest your hard earned savings be 100% that you can cope with it.

Last edited:
There's lots of part time adult college courses in Teacher qualifications out there. But before please make sure it's something you really want to do. I love the practical side of 'teaching', I used to always get asked to oversee the work experience girls and junuor at work and I absolutely loved it. However while I was doing my second year at college (L3) I realised I could never become a tutor. I was asked by my tutor to take a group of Level 2s for a supplementary theory class as there were some who were struggling to keep up. I spent about half of the first lesson explaining the difference between pore, pour, paw and poor to a bunch of 16 year olds. Yes, 16 year olds, who had completed their 'basic' education. Sometimes I was asked to keep an eye on the L2s if the tutor had to go somewhere for 10 minutes and it was TRYING. Eventually they realised that just because I also a student didn't mean I'd let them get away with swearing and playing up as I was the one responsible for them at that time, but it taught me that it was personally something I was just not cut out for.

So the moral of the very long winded story is.... Please be sure. Obviously there are many amazing people out there who ARE cut out for it and I'm sure that you are one of them, but before you invest your hard earned savings be 100% that you can cope with it.
Thank you for your reply. I totally agree with you. This is the only thing putting me off!! I just know I need to change what I’m doing abs I don’t know what else to do!!!

Hey once you have your teaching you could always teach private courses. This is what i do with a beauty level 3 and a teaching qualification:) alongside treatments so you get the best of both.

Hey once you have your teaching you could always teach private courses. This is what i do with a beauty level 3 and a teaching qualification:) alongside treatments so you get the best of both.
That’s a good idea. How/where did you do your teacher training? X

I did Mine with UCLAN as a part time course over 2 years or can be done full time, the course was Certed (certificate of education) or a PGCE (if you have a degree). Have a look into it its worth having as it enables me to pick up supply work too if needed, or even cover supervisor easy day jobs in schools !!x

Hi, has anyone trained to become a teacher in college after being a stylist??? I currently own my own salon, and quite frankly I’ve had enough. This year has been terrible and it’s not looking great for the future. So I’m thinking I need to be employed and close the salon ASAP!!! But obviously I need to train and wondered if anyone’s got any advice please? Thanks in advance ♥

I trained to become a qualified teacher after doing the in-house salon pea
Hi, has anyone trained to become a teacher in college after being a stylist??? I currently own my own salon, and quite frankly I’ve had enough. This year has been terrible and it’s not looking great for the future. So I’m thinking I need to be employed and close the salon ASAP!!! But obviously I need to train and wondered if anyone’s got any advice please? Thanks in advance ♥

Hi I studied to become a qualified teacher after doing the practical training at work which I really enjoyed as the trainees were highly motivated to learn
You need to have your level 3
Firstly I got my D units Assesors awards
Then went on to do my cert Ed
Most FE colleges run these courses
I think it took me 3 years in total part time
Generally you have to do some hours teaching in a college to go towards your cert Ed this should give you an idea if you’d enjoy it

Latest posts

Back