Becoming over familiar in business

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am from scotland (not Glasgow though) and I don't call clients anything other than their name.
One of my level 3 hairdressing lecturers calls me darling sometimes and I've been called babe before by workmates and I find it a bit uncomfortable :o lol cringe

I personally have never called any of my clients by a pet name - it might be that I come from the older school of beauty training but I just feel these sorts of pet names are fine for friends and family, but probably not the most appropriate terms by which to address complete strangers. I personally prefer not to be called 'hun', 'darling' etc by clients, although some do, but I can't say I get upset if they do either.

The only service provider who does call me 'petal' and 'flower' is my hairdresser, but she's also a friend, and from "up t'North' and not a Southerner like me, so I don't mind that! If my dentist, hygienist, bank cashier, waiter etc etc started calling me 'darling' I'd probably wince a little though!

For me 'hun' sounds insincere, other than that I don't mind

I think it's simply a case of mirroring the client to build rapport.

If a client comes in to my salon and says, "Oh my god, it's fab in here Hun. Absolutely love it! It's gorgeous!", I might reply with a, "Thanks very much Hun. We worked hard to try and make it fab for you!"

The next client might say, "Darling, the decor and ambience are simply exquisite! How wonderful!", and my reply might be, "Why thank you so much for your kind compliments! I hope you enjoy your visit with us today and find the services we offer equally as satisfying!"

I have no issue in changing my approach to suit the customer's needs and make them feel as welcome as possible. I think this is what everyone does in some form or other?

To me both examples sound utterly pretentious! What about Thank you, then I would probably asked what they did for a living? As normal people do not talk like! I know MANY titled ladies as they would piss themselves laughing if I started talking like that. I know lots of millionaires and only last week I was doing a very arty client, she is the head of fine art in a very well known auctioneers in London, she still would not talk like this, professional don't they would be laughed at, it plain silly! Could you imagine me visiting a GP "hi sweetie what's the problem?" "Oh don't worry Hun it's just a cold" , personally I would wonder if they were now doing NVQs in medicine! It's irritating to others if you do it please stop NOW!

Does anyone think age has any bearing on how you talk to a client or how a client talks to you with names like hun/babe etc?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I think it could have a lot to do with age I'm 24 and that's all I've ever known so I don't think I'm been rude or belittling in anyway and as another poster has said you adapt to your client I have a lot of young clients so I say different things that suits there age and that I would say regardless of them been a client or not, if an older lady came in I would call them by there surname untill told I was allowed to use there first. That's what I class as manners and respect amongst other things x x

I think it could have a lot to do with age I'm 24 and that's all I've ever known so I don't think I'm been rude or belittling in anyway and as another poster has said you adapt to your client I have a lot of young clients so I say different things that suits there age and that I would say regardless of them been a client or not, if an older lady came in I would call them by there surname untill told I was allowed to use there first. That's what I class as manners and respect amongst other things x x

Do intelligent youngsters do this then? Or is Hun and babe street talk reserved only for the ones who don't go to university? Please educate me! I have only heard bimbos talking like this and a look normally puts an end to it!

eternalscot: you are a hoot. Very good wind-up merchant.

To me both examples sound utterly pretentious! What about Thank you, then I would probably asked what they did for a living? As normal people do not talk like! I know MANY titled ladies as they would piss themselves laughing if I started talking like that. I know lots of millionaires and only last week I was doing a very arty client, she is the head of fine art in a very well known auctioneers in London, she still would not talk like this, professional don't they would be laughed at, it plain silly! Could you imagine me visiting a GP "hi sweetie what's the problem?" "Oh don't worry Hun it's just a cold" , personally I would wonder if they were now doing NVQs in medicine! It's irritating to others if you do it please stop NOW!

That's quite rude, the other poster was only giving an example, that wasn't needed I don't think xx

Do intelligent youngsters do this then? Or is Hun and babe street talk reserved only for the ones who don't go to university? Please educate me! I have only heard bimbos talking like this and a look normally puts an end to it!
wow......how to make friends and alienate people :)

Really?? I am highly educated and from a very good up bringing thankyou! and I would have thought a lady of such standards wouldn't resort as to been so rude on here! Yes I have blonde hair clever you that does not mean nor will I ever be a bimbo!

My Dr calls me darling :-D

Sorry only asking? I just haven't heard anyone who looks brainy talking like this merely an observation!

Sorry only asking? I just haven't heard anyone who looks brainy talking like this merely an observation!

He is extremely intelligent an excellent Dr with years of experience and a warm, genuine person. But I will tell him that you said he should stop calling his lovely patients darling NOW for fear they may doubt his intelligence or class. He will like that a lot as he also has a good sense of humour :-D

Not if you go into my local Iceland!

I am actually in hysterics at your responses on here....Fringe next year for you m'lady I think, what a waste of a talent ;)

He is extremely intelligent an excellent Dr with years of experience and a warm, genuine person. But I will tell him that you said he should stop calling his lovely patients darling NOW for fear they may doubt his intelligence or class. He will like that a lot as he also has a good sense of humour :-D

Darlings isn't a class thing , babe, hen, Hun chick are! Darling is for pretentious social climbers both unacceptable please inform him you will be doing him a huge service.

I think what's needed in any business is the ability to read people and situations. None of us are a 'one size fits all' and nor would I want us to be.

I adapt me to the situation I'm in, as I'm sure most therapists do.

I wouldn't use inappropriate language or banter in a boardroom, but in a boardroom I'm not waxing someones intimate parts (unless it's one of those funny parties). I'm sure we all take time to know our clients, and we use language that is appropriate. If we didn't, surely our clients would go elsewhere. Ultimately they would vote with their feet. I didn't go all out to set up my business to go round using inappropriate language to scare my clients away.

You know your clients and what works for you and your business!

I agree and believe it is part of what is needed to be a therapist. You don't treat everybody or every situation in the same way x

Well Eternalscot, your TITLED ladies had better not come and meet some of us lot then or they'd all be pissing themselves, as you so eloquently put it!

Latest posts

Back