Becoming self employed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lauren:).

Reaction score
Hello :)
Im doing an acrylic course on sunday and nearly finished my nvq in nail services and thinking about setting up my own business either mobile or working from home. I know theres a fair few of you who have built up successful buisinesses doing this and wondered if anyone had any advice for me? Thank you :) Lauren x

I have just started also so you will probably get better advice but I have had most of my clients of facebook so defo worth setting one up :) xx

I'm not self employed in Beauty or Nails (yet) but have been self employed before.

I would advise you to:

Business cards, Vista Print do free ones, ensure you have them with you at all times, you will meet people all the time who will be interested in what you do.

Get a website! Ruth Mills (a Salon Geek member) is our resident techie and is lovely.

Tax and NI, get this in order as soon as possible, set aside money each month (about 20%) to pay your tax bill.

Write a small business plan with achievable and realistic goals.

Be aware of giving away too many freebies and 'mates rates' this is your livelihood and others should respect that.

Search for photographers, bridal and dress hire shops, cosmetic shops etc., ask if they would put your cards on the till/reception, never stop networking ever!

Good luck :)

Latest posts

Back