Bed Head shampoo on extensions?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChelleBells10

Reaction score
I've had a client MSG me tonight saying her extensions have matted at the root. She is then saying no problem with a brushing it so totally contradicting what she is saying. She then goes on the tell me she is using Self Absorbed shampoo and conditioner by bed head which is 'specifically for extensions' I've told her that is definitely not the case.
She is requesting a full refund. I think I'm in the right to refuse this but wondered what your advise was. When she came for her consultation she signed a form and I put a note on it saying she had decided not to purchase the correct aftercare products which I had suggested wasn't advisable!
Help, I'm so stressed!!

How long has she had them in? Are they matted at the roots due to not having a maintenance?

I would say whatever you do, you need to get eyes on it asap.

Fitted 25th Feb. She went to Toni and Guy apparently who said they were matted but she said nothing was wrong until then and If they hasn't have mentioned if she would have been none the wiser. She sent me this pic below. I'm a fully qualified stylist and have been for 14years but extensions are new too me so I'm really freaking out. I'm in ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1395093135.642355.jpgtears this evening!

Fitted 25th Feb. She went to Toni and Guy apparently who said they were matted but she said nothing was wrong until then and If they hasn't have mentioned if she would have been none the wiser. She sent me this pic below. I'm a fully qualified stylist and have been for 14years but extensions are new too me so I'm really freaking out. I'm in View attachment 59271tears this evening!

I don't know if it's just the picture but the bonds don't look right, was it blonde hair or brown? I'd say the bonds looks like the bonds are breaking down, possibly slipping a bit, and that could be what is causing the matting?

If she has used the wrong shampoo and conditioner this could well be the result of that.

I don't know if it's just the picture but the bonds don't look right, was it blonde hair or brown? I'd say the bonds looks like the bonds are breaking down, possibly slipping a bit, and that could be what is causing the matting?

If she has used the wrong shampoo and conditioner this could well be the result of that.

Yeah I completely agree, she's using the wrong aftercare products which is causing the bonds to break down and get sticky that's why she has the matting going on.
Bed head self absorbed shampoo contains sulphate, sulphate is a no no with extensions, especially with keratin bonded ones because it breaks down the bonds.

Thanks ladies, that's exactly what I have said to her so I'm pleased you've agreed with me. I hate stuff like this so have barely slept all night. I feel rubbish and this has really dented my confidence.

Customers know it's easy to get a refund out of you so will always try before admitting they have made a mistake. You jut need to stay firm with them and things like this will teach you how to deal with it better in future x

Thanks Melissa. I feel comfortable with how I've delt with it. I'm just upset she has been this way about it. I advised her from day one about the correct aftercare and what the implications of this would be. She has been a client if mine for a few years and has always been a difficult client so I guess I should have know this would happen!

I have had all sorts of weird and wonderful complaints. One client wanted a full refund for shade 613 bleach blond hair (micro rings) because it had "faded" to a pink / purple colour with grey on the ends. She had decided this ment the hair couldn't be real human hair and the lady she installed them on claimed to have used the correct sulphate free shampoo. She sent it back to me and they stunk of purple/silver shampoo and the pinky purple colour was concentrated at the top where the stick tip is and it's harder to rinse. Needless to say I sent them back to her without a refund and explained it's not my fault if one of her clients lies to her about using purple shampoo on the extensions.

She then opened a return case through eBay (we started on eBay many moons ago) and washed the hair to remove the smell and sent them back to me a second time! Luckily we have excellent feedback on eBay and all previous emails can be read by eBay during a dispute. I advised her that maybe head and shoulders would be helpful on stripping the pinky colour from the extensions and sent them back to her for a second time. I also had to open a fraud case through eBay alerting them to what the buyer had done.

Hair extensions are expensive and people would rather see you out of pocket than admit to their own mistakes. It's harsh but you always come away with a bit more knowledge afterwards xxx

Latest posts

Back