Bedroom as a waxing room and fold up bed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahjane13

Reaction score
Hi
I'm trained in waxing by Kim Lawless and would like to start working from home part time (around my main job) to try and build up a clientelle. I have 2 choices. I could either convert part of my garage at a cost of approx £7k plus building regs costs, or I could use my bedroom (we don't have a spare). To use my bedroom it would mean changing our had for a wall bed so i could fold it away in the day when I waxed. This would cost abpiy £1k.
I'm tempted to go for the wall bed to start with as it's a lower cost and if things didn't work out then I haven't lost as much.
Have any of you done anything like this and/or what are your thoughts? I'm just not sure of the bedroom idea would put people off although in reality they wouldn't see our bed as they just look like a large wall unit when folded away.
If i went for the wall bed option and things really took off then I could still convert the garage at a later date.
Thanks! X

Hey. Speaking from a client perspective here, I went to a lady for an intimate wax which was a home based salon. When I arrived it was in her bedroom, nothing was packed away it was just a tidy bedroom with a couch set up and waxing trolley. Didn't bother me in the slightest, she did a brilliant wax, wore gloves and everything was hygienic. If you do a good job and people like you they will keep coming back. The other option is to go mobile until you get a regular clientele, but lifting a couch and setting everything up/packing away is hard work and wastes a lot of time imo. I started off mobile and didn't really like it x

Before converting our garage I had my home salon in a downstairs room that actually had a fold up bed built in to a purpose built cupboard that everyone just assumed were wall to wall cupboards! However there was no other "bedroom" related furniture in the room, it was set up primarily as a beauty salon.

Without seeing your bedroom it's difficult to say whether it would put clients off. If you can make the room so it doesn't obviously look like a bedroom and it is kept really tidy and professional looking it could work.

Are you and your family happy to have clients walking through your house and into your bedroom? Do you intend to have clients in the evening and do you have any children who clients could disturb or who might try and come in whist you have a client in with you? Try and think through all eventualities. My room was off our kitchen and my daughter and husband felt they either couldn't use the kitchen or had to be really quiet which wasn't ideal, and I also have dogs that I had to shut out, but they used to whine which was really annoying! Our garage conversion wasn't cheap but I feel so much happier about having clients in now as it's completely separate from the house. I only moved into it in May but my business has grown so much since then. I was never 100% comfortable about having people I didn't know in my house, so I didn't really promote it much, but that's just my personal experience and it may be different for you x

Latest posts

Back