Been using Gelish and now can't get on with CND Shellac!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nailsgalore13

Reaction score
Hi i have been using gelish and shellac but more so the gelish. But today have been using my shellac and oh my did i struggle! I found i got it too thick and it rinkled! Has anyone else struggled when using both!? Nightmare as i love shellac but struggle using two different systems!
Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Hey

You need to think of and use shellac as you would nail polish. Gelish being a gel polish is totally different from shellac.

Try to think of the two products as two different systems.

These are 2 different products, both excellent in their own ways, therefore the problem is you not them ;)

You need to adjust your way of working when you change from system to system.....no matter what that is, just think back to your training for each.

That said if a product wrinkles no matter if it is Gelish or Shellac it has undercured therefore has either been applied too thickly, or the wrong lamp has been used, or bulbs need changing.

The modern day Nail tech has to offer a variety of services from Enhancements both Gel and L&P acrylic to Gel/Power polish, manicures, and master each technique to stay ahead of the game so I hope you get this sorted.

I think it's perfectly understandable that you have troubles if you are switching between too.
It's the same as using Tesco own bubble bath or radox...if you just pour without thinking the result will be very different from the 2.

You just need to really concentrate on your technique as you use each one and after a while of using both I think it will come automatically again :)

Try to use them as thinly as possible as any shellac, gelish, gellux ect will wrinkle if not cured properly xx

Don't worry xx

aww thank you everyone for your replys that is great advice, i will treat them as two different systems, it was just hard getting back into it! thanks again everyone.

I use the two systems & love them both equally but I do find applying gelish is much nicer! The shellac can sometimes be quite thick & therefore making thin layers tricky!

HI

Shellac thick? Do you mean an old bottle? I use three different systems, 2 gel and shellac. I don't find it thick at all?

Having removed gelish from a couple of clients I am not inspired to try it. It looked thick in application and took a good 25 mins to soak off. I wasn't impressed.

Maybe it had just been applied badly? hmm

I've been offering Gelish for 6 months & have just added Shellac too. The only problem I ever have when switching between the two is remembering to shake the Shellac bottles before application. I found it thicker & harder to apply when you forget that 😳 but as long I remember to shake I love Shellac!

I find some of the darker colours can be thick like fedora, dark lava or rock royalty (even after a good shaking!) and the top coat thick too. I do like how it comes off quicker than gelish tho!

I use both Shellac and Gelish, Gelish I find easy to remove as long as the application had been thin, base very thin and scrubbed in although removal of Shellac is much quicker.

Application on both systems has to be thin and your right with the Shellac if you forget to shake you know it, I find the Shellac top coat can get thicker over time, especially on cold days or if the clients hands are a bit cold, so I tend to pop the Shellac top coat bottle on my lap while applying the colour coats to gently warm it, its goes on much easier then.

Oooh thanks for the tip! New bottle will be with me tomorrow so that will help for a while til it thickens again!

I use both Shellac and Gelish, Gelish I find easy to remove as long as the application had been thin, base very thin and scrubbed in although removal of Shellac is much quicker.

I find the Shellac top coat can get thicker over time, especially on cold days or if the clients hands are a bit cold, so I tend to pop the Shellac top coat bottle on my lap while applying the colour coats to gently warm it, its goes on much easier then.

That's what I do lol....Top coat on my lap! But it makes me jump when I forget it's there and plonks on the floor!

My Shellac top coat lives in my bra all day! It is the perfect consistency when I then take it out to use it.

My customers all know I keep it in there and we have a little joke about it. I'm mobile so the cold weather does affect me going from home to car all the time x

My Shellac top coat lives in my bra all day! It is the perfect consistency when I then take it out to use it.

My customers all know I keep it in there and we have a little joke about it. I'm mobile so the cold weather does affect me going from home to car all the time x

This made me lol. Good idea :)

hey fab thank you for all your replys, and also the great tip of putting it in your bra!

yes i think it is maybe thick as i need to shake it a bit more, plus i do more gelish than shellac so it is not getting used as much as the gelish.

thanks again everyone.

That's what I do lol....Top coat on my lap! But it makes me jump when I forget it's there and plonks on the floor!

Haha I do this everyday, I sit with my bottles between my thighs and if I get up my clients all say oo she's laid a bottle again! But it does help with the consistency, the bra trick I tried but with having a bigger chest I just couldn't be discreet about it as I couldn't always find it haha!! SS

As far as I know warming it like this makes it worse. I find cleaning off the top of bottles and being fast in application so lid is not off longer than necessary all help.

I would be mortified if I was getting my nails done and the nail tech took a bottle out of her bra.

thanks jen any little tips to help is great. thanks everyone.

Latest posts

Back