Beginner - CND or Salon Services - Acrylic Nail Course

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minibex

Reaction score
Hi There,

I'm not sure if I've posted in the correct place as I'm new here, but here goes...I'm new to the world of beauty and after years of being obsessed with all things nails, I have decided to seriously look into training and getting a professional qualification.

I have done extensive research and I am trying decide between the CND or Salon Services (A.S.P) acrylic nail course. I know CND is very prestigious and probably the better of the two, but there is a big difference in price (CND £595 ex vat, A.S.P £260 ex vat, plus kit) , so I just wondered if anyone has done either course (or know anyone that has) and can recommend which one would be better.

Also, is there a huge difference between hard gel and acrylic?, is one easier than the other? I'm a bit worried that I'll be able to apply acrylic as so many people I have spoken to say how difficult it is. I am a professional cake maker, very creative and have a steady hand, but I think the professional nail techs make it look easy!!

I am looking to also do the Bio Sculpture course after, but I don't want to run before I can walk and take baby steps!!

Thanks in advance.

xx

Go with CND
Think it includes some kit which is part of the difference in price
The products are of the finest quality too.
But it's like everything else in life - you get what you pay for !!!
I have completed some courses with SS in the past, and they have been ok, but CND is on a whole different level.
You won't regret it.

CND . I'm just coming to the end of my l&p course and was like you....didn't know which way to go. I am so glad I chose CND. The kit is great, the support is amazing and the knowledge the educators have is awesome.

If you listen absorb the information and practice you'll be fine, especially with a steady hand and creative leaning.

I'm booked onto the shellac in November. Can't wait.

Good luck xx

Ps... Give the academy a ring... They are very helpful with NO pressure on you. I was aiming to do the gel course first, but was advised to go with l&p (liquid and powder... Aka acrylic).first as this is more difficult, and I'm glad I did. Xx

CND all the way!
Most of my products are CND:
Shellac Power Polish
Vinylux
Brisa Lite Soak Off Gel
Brisa (hard)Gel
Brisa Bond
Velocity Tips
Scrub Fresh
Nourishing Remover
Kanga and Blizzard Files
(I think that`s everything)

I don`t use the acrylic (L&P) due to the smell as I am mobile. I am confident using CND products because of the quality and I know they are compatible. The ongoing support and resources are second to none!

You get what you pay for!

There is a big difference in price for a reason ;) quality of training, quality of products, on-going support etc

I used to employ a therapist who had done her nail training with Salon Services and she just couldn't produce good nails that lasted at all, I ended up taking over all nail services from her as they just weren't worth paying for.

Go with CND and you will never regret it, it will be the perfect launch of your career as a nail tech :)

Hi, can someone please post the link to the CND website please. Thankyou.

Just for a different point of view, I've just completed the ASP acrylic course last week and I thought it was fab :) I'm still obviously very new but I've had no nails come off of any of the models I've used and I'm already getting asked for infills etc so just because it is cheaper than CND doesn't mean it should be written off as an option :) x

Just for a different point of view, I've just completed the ASP acrylic course last week and I thought it was fab :) I'm still obviously very new but I've had no nails come off of any of the models I've used and I'm already getting asked for infills etc so just because it is cheaper than CND doesn't mean it should be written off as an option :) x

Hi Chloe its Steve. How you doing. I agree with you. I thought the One to one training was really comprehensive. And love the ASP Gel and acrylic and my nails are still on after a week which is a miracle with all the shampooing I do. Xx

Can I as how long the Asp course is? As usually the cheaper classes and less days if you divid the cost per days then it will give you a more accurate bench mark to go by.
Also the kit involved is amazing!!
The CND education program has recently changed all the information on the Sweet Squared website it up to date but you can also ring up for more info dates nearest educator etc!

I first trained with Star Nails which at the time were in Sally's (salon services now), nails weren't popular then so I didn't know about CND, oh boy I wish I had! The overall training was terrible when I look back so were the products, I had to re train with creative and glad I did - that £200 extra is worth the money to train with a company such as Sweet Squared who really do have one of the best education programmes available. Good luck. X

Hi Steve! Fancy seeing you here :D glad your nails have stayed on, I've had to file my gels off though cause I need them to grow for my mani/pedi course in Nov, but I had nothing but compliments about them :)

Amelia - the course was 4 days in total, 2 days training then 2 weeks off where we had to do 6 sets of our chosen system then we came back for another 2 days. The last day was written and practical assessments though :) x

Hi guys,

Thank you all so much for your advice, I guess you're right and you do get what you pay for in life!! I know CND are like the Rolls Royce of nails! I notice that you have to pay extra for the kit with SS courses, so that probably adds another £100 to the cost of the course. Does anyone know what the CND kit consists of? Will I need to buy anymore stuff to get me started??

Also, does anyone know if there's a trade show I can attend to discuss courses? Or do you have to be qualified to even attend? Just be nice to chat face to face to different companies.

Xx

Hi guys,

Thank you all so much for your advice, I guess you're right and you do get what you pay for in life!! I know CND are like the Rolls Royce of nails! I notice that you have to pay extra for the kit with SS courses, so that probably adds another £100 to the cost of the course. Does anyone know what the CND kit consists of? Will I need to buy anymore stuff to get me started??

Also, does anyone know if there's a trade show I can attend to discuss courses? Or do you have to be qualified to even attend? Just be nice to chat face to face to different companies.

Xx

You get everything you need to get going, plus a nail trainer to practice on.
My kit included:
Liquid and powder
Brush
Nail clippers
Nail trainer
Variety of files
Scrub fresh
Cuticle away
Cuticle scraper
Lint free pads
Couch roll
Monomer pot x2
Pipette
Solar oil.

I've probably missed something!! Xx

Hi guys,

Xx

Yes I do believe that CND are classed as a high grade product. But be under no illusion, that if the brand your using will make you a good technician. Some of the worst nail jobs I have seen has been with CND acrylic and shellac. I don't blame the products, I blame the tech. SS ASP courses are really good. ASP are part of the cuccio/starnails/ikon umbrella, so all their products are of a high standard but to be honest, the products are only as good as the person using them.

Yes I do believe that CND are classed as a high grade product. But be under no illusion, that if the brand your using will make you a good technician. Some of the worst nail jobs I have seen has been with CND acrylic and shellac. I don't blame the products, I blame the tech. SS ASP courses are really good. ASP are part of the cuccio/starnails/ikon umbrella, so all their products are of a high standard but to be honest, the products are only as good as the person using them.

Very well said!

I agree with you totally and I by no means expect the product to make me an amazing tech. My mum always said 'a good workman never blames his tools' and it's so true. I just want to get the best level of education for my money. I'd hate to pay for a course and then discover there's 25 people on the same one and that there's not much tuition at all!

I agree with you totally and I by no means expect the product to make me an amazing tech. My mum always said 'a good workman never blames his tools' and it's so true. I just want to get the best level of education for my money. I'd hate to pay for a course and then discover there's 25 people on the same one and that there's not much tuition at all!

I think you've got a great attitude towards your training.
My gel polish course only had two students and my enhancements course was four students. So was virtually one to one. You can ask some one at SS to see what the courses involve and I would do the same with CND. Xx

Latest posts

Back