Beginner so need lots of advice, thanks

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeilaM

Reaction score
Hi all I am new to this site so looking for lots of advice and tips please. :biggrin:
Basically have never done nails ever before and looking into to doing an acrylic nail course etc, I am 43 and getting a bit over the hill but better late than never. I'm in the midlands and looking for advice on the best course. I love Gemma Lamberts work but her training courses are too far for me to travel. I recently had my nails done and disappointed in the finishing result as they look too thick and unatural, so i figure that's down to the training ? Would be great to have some advice please
OH PS plus i'm looking at starter kits, NSI or Naio can someone enlighten me on the best one thanks.
Many thanks
Leila:Love:

Hi Leila,

43 is NOT too old to start so good luck to you . I would suggest that you first decide on the course you would like to do and NOT buy any kit beforehand . You would be wasting your money as the course you choose may use a completely different system

Look for good continuing support and a extensive range of products .You would be wise to include some gel colour in your training as that is very popular

Do you want to do this as a new career?or just a bit of fun/hobby on friends & family? If it's the first then if you love Gemma's work surely travelling the distance would be worth it, for the right course? There are loads of really good threads on here if you do a search any question you can possibly think of can be or has been answered!!Good luck in your new venture!!

Thanks for your replies.

I would like to start practising on myself a bit while I'm waiting to start a course, that's why I'd like to buy a starter kit so just wanted to see what others prefer to use from experience really.
The reason I can't travel to Gemma's courses are because I'm a single mom of 3 boys and don't get a great deal of support so would need something a little closer, as it's a good 2 and a half hours drive each way.
Thanks again

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I would strongly advise against 'practicing ' before you go on a course

It is very easy to pick up bad habits which can be hard to break . You have no idea if what you are doing is right or wrong or worse, damaging to yours and anyone else's nails that you 'practice ' on

Seriously if you want to do this properly book on a course first

Do you research . Look at what other salons in your area do and charge , see if there is a gap in the market . What is most popular in your area

You are already using the wrong terminology ad ALL systems are acrylic based . You are referring to what is correctly known and Liquid and powder ( L & p )

Good luck

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back