Beginner-want to be a part time nail tech while at university

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spring

Reaction score
Hi

I'm going to university in Bristol at the end of September (orig from London) & will need a part-time job for some pocket money. I'd rather become a nail tech than work in retail as it's a proper skill, I can choose my hours (if I don't join a salon), and I like the idea of painting nails more so than dealing with clothes!

I've spent the past hour reading through threads on here after a Google search. I've seen CND get recommended & looked at Sweet Squared's website. I could only see separate short courses (L&P / gel / shellac) & can just about afford the L&P.

The one thing I couldn't find info on is how soon will I be able to start working after completing the L&P course?

I know each individual's skill and pace will vary when it comes to achieving the perfect finish, but do most people need to practise for a lot longer before they can start working as a nail tech?

I saw that people are fine to work after the 2-day shellac course, but I really need to learn the basics first of painting / hygiene! / anatomy / applying acrylics etc. The L&P course description is a bit confusing as I'm not sure exactly what in, in lay men's terms, one is able to do by the end of it (from a customer's perspective). I'm not exactly sure what "liquid and powder" - assuming it's about applying acrylics and painting them - as the description is basically all jargon!

Any other tips/advice?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Do you already live in Bristol and do you drive? There are a few p/t college courses nearby (within an hour drive) I think the nearest cnd training is Cheltenham, as I've just booked on the Shellac course.

Well once you gain your certificate, set up insurance and buy your products, you are ready to go. It takes some time to build the confidence but the more you do, the more confident you become.

Sweet Squared courses cover all the theory, such as Anatomy, hygiene etc....even on the 2 day Shellac course, you can go from a complete novice to a professional.

Liquid and Powder is what a client would call 'Acrylic' nails.

CND is a great brand to go with, the training is fantastic and you get amazing after care.

Latest posts

Back