Beginners nail course

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minibex

Reaction score
Hey,

Hope everyone is well.

I’m sure you’ve all seen loads of these posts in the last few weeks and probably thinking, “oh another one wanting to become a nail tech due to COVID-19 :rolleyes::D Truth is, I’ve had a passion for nails and nail art since I can remember and always wanted to learn to do it myself.

I realise it’s an art form and involves true skill, and that it’s not something you can learn on an online course in 1 day. Therefore, I want to do the profession justice and learn the proper way.

I have been researching courses and I was actually surprised at how few courses were available. Can anyone tell me of a good course for beginners? I always wanted to learn acrylic, but has that been replaced with polygel now?

Thanks in advance

Im not sure about online courses as it is a very hands on trade! Your options are to look at your local colleges and see if they offer the Vtct Level 2 Nail Technology or look at brand education find a brand that you like and see what training they offer. Acrylic i think will always be a top choice however it doesn't suit every client so looking at having more than one system under your belt would be ideal. My course uses gel only which i was abit disappointed with however having to practice at home alot its been ideal as there are no strong odors like acrylic gives you. Something to bear in mind if you plan on working from home. :)

I agree about online courses for the fundamentals. At the beginning you really need hands on tuition. As 3littlegems has said... VTCT level 2 Nail Technology or a VERY good brand. Bear in mind that a good brand doesn't necessarily mean the most expensive or popular. You'll need to do careful research and do a bit of digging.

Ideally find a brand that has strong connections with nail skill competitions and that has nail art capabilities in their core range so you don't have to buy a whole other art range from somewhere. Most importantly be certain where the products are manufactured. Avoid anything made in China as there are no safety regulations for cosmetic ingredients there at present meaning there is no limit on how much HEMA is added and HEMA is a high risk allergen producing lifelong reaction any time contact with the methacrylate is made.

Unless you are mostly focusing on design acrylics using coloured powders etc I would strongly encourage you to consider acrygels for structure. No odour for starters and these days a decent one is just as strong as acrylic plus they are much easier to apply.. I can vouch for this personally having switched to wearing it well over a year ago from acrylic and I really don't see any lessening of performance at all.

Be mindful too that hard gels are also gaining in popularity and have some very useful attributes. An ideal professional brand to approach would offer you all three options AND have a strong nail art interest AND be safe to work with.

Sounds impossible to find but I know one brand that ticks every box. Ikon.iQ Nails. I tried a number of brands and then spent a fortune on Bio Sculpture before I discovered them. I could have saved myself a fortune. Their education programme is accredited and very comprehensive, it also includes nail art, e file etc plus they are hot on the various nail enhancement shapes and sculpting. Their manicure module walks all over the VTCT one I did. Well worth a look.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back