beginner's tips

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fluffho

Reaction score
Hi everyone

i just joined this board, it looks like so much fun! i love to do nails, and finally here is a place to share and ask questions!!

just to begin, i've had 3 fake nails in my life. they were back when i'd break off my whole nail tip, and the rest were beautifully long and it looked so weird! the first time she didnt file it, so no big deal. the second time she drilled all over my nail, i coudlnt believe it! it took forever to grow out. the third time she reached for the drill and i said 'no' so she just filed with a regular file (2 swipes) and all was well.

i decided not to spend $2 on those nails anymore, so i got into putting on my own. normally id break off the tip off the ends (well more than the tip sometimes) and i'd cut the whole thing off, but now i just put on my own lol. i read in a DIY beauty to use coffe filter (becasue of the fibers). lots of glue and coffee filter works well! i been real careful lately though so i havent had any mishaps!

so here are my questions
1) marbling - i try to find info but i can only find on paint marbling! i tried to do marbling once with a pin, but instead of swirling the colors it just took the paint off lol. the baes coat too! i used regular nail polish, first 2 base coats, let those dry then put on the colors that i wanted marbled.

2) striping - not with foils, but just using paint and a brush. when i use polish, usually its too thick. i mean its not too thick for painting, but when using a brush it doesnt sweep all the way! also, i have to put 2 coats of that stripe, and its hard trying to get the stripe, right, twice!! i saw on a website that a lady uses acrylic paints. those seem like they would be easier, does anyone do this?

sorry this is so long. but this is a really fun board and im so excited! i used to do my nails every week, last school yaer (freshmen college) took a break, and just a month ago i started up again! my nails are a healthy shade of white and now will turn to yellow again lol, but its ok

hope to hear from you! and get some fun advice!
Kristin

Hey and welcome,

I can only tell you how I do my striping:
I paint the nail with the desired colur and allow to dry, I then use regular kids poster paint (It washes of with water if you make a mistake before you seal), and then I let them dry out and seal with 2 coats of topcoat.

Have Fun
Love
Carrie x

Hi Kristin,
Welcome to the board........ you'll find so much here to read that you'll barely have time to do your nails...!!!!! lol
If you do a search for marbling you'll find some great ideas. Our Layla has posted on marbling and I think you'll even find links to some great pics.
Striping can be done in a number of ways... again do a search and no doubt you'll come across some ideas from our resident experts. The bet striping I have done is with an airbrush by masking off a stripe and then adding another colour over the top then whisking off the mask and hey presto - a lovely clean stripe. Of-course, you can hand paint your stripe or even use some striping material that you can buy. However you do it - have lots of fun. :lol:
All the best
Carol

fluffho said:
Hi everyone

but now i just put on my own lol. i read in a DIY beauty to use coffe filter (becasue of the fibers). lots of glue and coffee filter works well! i been real careful lately though so i havent had any mishaps!

Kristin
hi kirstin
i don't want to sound like a party pooper here:sad: but i am really concerned that you are using coffee filters:eek: and glue:rolleyes: on your nails.the damage you may be inflicting on yourself is unthinkable:cry: .i am not surprised your nails will turn yellow..please either start taking better care of your natural nails or get your nails done at a decent salon.nail art is great fun ..but only on nails ...it would be a great shame if you could not continue with your obvious love of nail art because you didn't have healthy enough nails:cry:
please don't let this reply put you off seeking advice on this site again...this is only my view on the subject and your quite at liberty to tell me to mind my own business:rolleyes: :lol:
take care
debbie

i never knew you could use acrylic paint for nails! well i just never thought of it. i have some crayola that im gonan try out. ive painted a scene of flowers, a spiders web and a butterfly before and i think it would be uch easier with paint. also, i could mix colors easier!

i tried looking for marbling online. i typed in 'nail art marbling' and 'marbling nails' and all i found though were about paint marbling, although i did find some sites with a marbling tool but not many instructions.

i just tried marbling today. i think i was using too heavy a hand and scraping off the polish, but i tried pressing onl lightly today and it worked better. only it looked really raelly bad lol.

thanks for replying! hope to see some fun pics. wish i had an airbrush machine lol
Kristin

i understnad ur concern. i did the coffee filter glue thing for a while and had no issues. i didnt explain the filter too much, but i only put it on the corner. as in, not in the whole nail. so even if i were ruining my nail it would only be the tip. now that i use base coat, my nails dont turn yellow.
i think the reason though that i can get away with so much is because my nails are thick. they've always been pretty thick. and i moisturize and all that, and i let em breathe. ive never been one to go to a nail salon. lol, sorry no business from me at any time! i never had the money anyways, i can do it myself and thats a lot cheaper!
Kristin

Hey :cool:

Here is the link to ''marbling'' posts

http://www.thenailgeek.com/search.php?searchid=7486

I've added a pic of a watermarble nail aswell so you can see how they turn out. You'll probably find watermarbling is easier than just normal marbling.

Maybe you should look into attending some nail enhancement courses, so you can learn how to do proper enhancements on yourself. I'm sure they'll turn out alot more superdooper than coffee filter nails :lol: ;)

xxlaylaxx

Attachments

• pinkmarb.JPG
    pinkmarb.JPG
    16.2 KB · Views: 29
LayStar said:
Hey :cool:

Here is the link to ''marbling'' posts

http://www.thenailgeek.com/search.php?searchid=7486

I've added a pic of a watermarble nail aswell so you can see how they turn out. You'll probably find watermarbling is easier than just normal marbling.

Maybe you should look into attending some nail enhancement courses, so you can learn how to do proper enhancements on yourself. I'm sure they'll turn out alot more superdooper than coffee filter nails :lol: ;)

xxlaylaxx
holy guacamole... that is so cool!

i read about water marbling before in a mag, but it was so vague so i couldnt get it to work right! id let the polish spread out to thin and it was a big mess! i will try it tonight though. i think i have hard water though :(

hehe nail enhancement courses? right now i am in cop school but ive been considering cosmetology. although i think your talking about acrylics, and im not really into acrylics. my nails are long ont heir own, been keeping them that way since7th grade. i did tihe coffee filters for a month or so, but only to repair tips that broke. lately though ive been extra careful, and just cutting my nails shorter. b efore i'd let them grow REEALLY long, and eventually the ends would start wearing (i like to get my hands on all kinds of stuff, building, digging etc). also, i type a lot and i play piano!

well ill try that water marbling and let you all know how it goes! thanks so much for those sites! i wouldnt have thought to search for Marbling on this forum, i was just looking at yahoo. silly me

:D
Kristin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back