Being induced vs C section

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pika

Reaction score
Southampton, Portsmouth & Welwyn Garden City (i'm
Morning ladies, I haven't been around on here for ages but just need some opinions/advice. I'm now 23 weeks pregnant, found out on our 20 week scan that we are having a little girl, but she has a condition called cdh (congenital diaphragmatic hernia). She has a hole in her diaphragm which has allowed her stomach and part of her liver to go up into her chest cavity, which has now moved her heart and lungs over to the right hand side and won't allow enough room for her lungs to develop. We have been told it's 50/50 survival chance once she's born but after speaking to a group of people who are going through/have already gone through the same thing, there is no way of telling how babies with cdh will cope once born as it depends on the individual baby.
Anyway, due to being a fair distance away from the hospital my little girl is going to need to be cared for in, they want to induce me a couple of weeks early so try and ensure I am in the right place so they can take her straight away after birth and get her in intensive care. Now, I've always had a completely irrational fear about childbirth, to the point of thinking I would never be a mother as it petrifies me so much. (I also suffer with panic disorder and anxiety) But I figured that if I went into labour naturally, I'd just have to deal with it. But now I'm thinking of fighting my hospital for an elective c section. I've been told that induced labour can take ages due to the body not being ready and 50% of induced labours end up in emergency c section aswel.
Has anyone got any advice for me? Sorry for such a long post!
Xxx

Just to add, there are other factors swaying me towards a c section. She won't be allowed to breathe on her own once born and I want them to get her out as soon as they can, one...so they can start caring for her asap and two...I will end up having a panic attack and will get so stressed out that I won't be able to do anything/eat anything for days after (panic attacks literally wipe me out to complete exhaustion and feeling sick) xxx

So sorry to hear your baby isn't well :(
Re births, my son was induced (nearly 16 years ago now) and my experience was pretty awful. Put me off having any more for many years. 4 years ago I found out I was expecting twins and went into a complete panic thinking about delivering them. To cut a long story short I had to fight really hard to get an elective c section. They even wanted to send me to a psychologist because I said I wouldn't change my mind. In the end one of the babies was breach so they had to do the section anyway. The consultants face was a picture as we had been battling over it for months.
Anyhow, having experienced both types of birth, I can confirm that your own recovery from a 'natural' birth is a lot quicker than from a section. That said, if I was in your shoes I would want my baby to be out as quickly as possible so that they can go to neonatal care so would lean more towards a section.
Whatever you decide make sure it is right for you and your baby and don't let people bully you. I had to fight so hard and carrying twins was difficult enough without added pressure.
Please let us know how you get on and wishing you the best of luck x x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

In so sorry to read this.. I'm sure the doctors would want to give her the best fighting chance and a c section can be quite traumatic on the baby as well, remember naturally we all built to come through the birth canal. is this why they suggested an induction?

That said, you can fight them for a c section if you really want it they will do it.
I did with my second baby due to me having a traumatic tear in my first birth, it was fairly simple I just asked the consultant and they said they would do it, but warned me of the risks of c section and I changed my mind and went for natural birth which was actually really quick and easy in the end. I think induction experiences very as do c section experiences. Some of my friends had very quick induced labours while others had really difficult c sections.

Sorry I can't help you more in your decision it's so tough- your her mum and you know what's best- think it through and if it were me I would speak to them frankly again, and ask why they are deciding to go with an induced labour over a c section as there must be a reason.

Once you have all the info your happy with, then go with your gut instinct. Best of luck my dear.

Sorry to hear of all you've been going through and still got to come. You must be worried and exhausted. Ask to speak to a senior surgeon for a consultation, if your midwife doesn't agree phone the hospital yourself and ask them. Early sections have their own problems too especially if it will be an early birth, can be a bit if a shock to baby as theirs nothing natural about it to prepare them to the outside world and sometimes they have breathing problems and need a little help. You really need to discuss your options with them and if still not happy go for a 2nd or even 3rd opinion. Take care of yourself hugs x

I've had both types births and was helped along with drugs when I was in labour the first time. As you say induction can lead to a whole host of medical intervention from ventouse or forceps delivery or even emergency c section although some people have inductions that do work incredibly well. The second time around they wanted to induce me due to gestational diabetes but I fought my case as I didn't want to suffer like the first time and also was at a high risk of having a haemorrhage. I had to see a psychologist to discuss my reasons and she then wrote to the consultant and advised that a c section was the best option. So they booked the date.

Another thing to think about though is that you could go into labour before either an induction date or c section date. This happened to me and I still had my c section which then was carried out as an emergency. Going into labour early was not something I had considered iykwim.

Have you spoken to your consultant about this? What do they think? Xxx

Also you say so have always had a fear of child birth, there is a condition called tokophobia which is an irrational fear of child birth. Not saying this is what you have but suffering from anxiety and such like could be a possibility. Xxxx

So sorry to hear of your babies health problem :( hugs xx

I dont know much about sections but hopefully sone other geeks can share there experiences with you :) I was induced a week early with my son but was very determined to have a natural delivery, I started contracting well and then they wanted to break my waters. I said no because my sister was doing her midwifery training at the time and really helped me and she felt there wasn't a need for further intervention after the pessary because I was contracting. And I had a wonderful water birth, 7 hours from my first proper contractions. I was told I'd need an epidural because induction was 'much more painful' and they really painted a bad picture of it but it was everything I'd hoped for! I did say once or twice I'm giving up lol but my husband and my sis really kept me going and it was great! So just thought I'd share that with you! Being induced doesn't mean it's going to be worse :)

Have you tried hypnobirthing? I used rainbow relaxation (google it) to kinda train myself during my second pregnancy to relax and have confidence and it was amazing!

I also read up a lot about different interventions like breaking waters, pethidine, monitoring to really get a good picture if the pros and cons and the likeliness of assisted delivery or emergency c section attached to each which helped me massively during each labour to try and stay to my plan, and feel less worried. The book called the birthing partner is a really good read :)

HTH

Sarah xx

Thankyou so much for all your replies. If I lived closer to the hospital I need to be at, I think I would be allowed to go into labour naturally, it's just due to the distance between me and the hospital. But I hadn't even considered premature labour (will ask about this when I'm next there for a check up)
So far, the only thing they have been able to say is a benefit of a vaginal birth is the fluid being squeezed out of my baby's lungs when she comes down the birth canal, but my argument is how do they deal with that with all the other babies born via c section? Plus, knowing she is going to be on a lung bypass machine within minutes of being born makes me think that isn't a valid reason. I have spoken to a couple of midwives, my own one and friends of friends and they have told me that the main reason they will be trying to talk me out of a c section is due to the cost to the nhs. My feeling is id be more than happy to pay for it if it meant less stress on me and Mia (named her already!) and they got her out asap and into the doctors care. And a few of my friends who have had c sections are telling me that they felt they missed out on the first few days of changing nappies/cuddles/feeding etc due to them recovering, however, I am going to be unable to even hold my baby for at least a couple of weeks anyway.
Have done a lot of research as suggested, into the different pain relief options, risks etc of c sections, but my mind is still made up that that is the way I want things done. And I guess in a way, due to the fact I have no control over anything once she's born, this is the one thing I feel I need to be in control of xxx

Hi, I had an emergency c section with my first child and it was abit of a dramatic birth, we then considered having another child and I said only if I can have an elective c section because since the first birth I had suffered panic attacks and anxiety and the thought of going through it again petrified me, I had an appointment with the consultant and explained the situation and he agreed to let me have a c section when the time came for me to be pregnant. I needed that security of knowing it would all be planned or I wouldn't have had another child. So if you have an appointment with your consultant and explain I'm sure they will let you have the birth you chose, I'm so sorry to hear of your baby's problems and hope all ends well for you x

Oh Pika what a lot to be going through.

I've not got any advice per se, but what is your relationship between you and your midwife like?

I ask because I suffer with anxiety and OCD and I really, really struggle in a medical environment, unless it's absolutely essential. Not the same as your situation at all, but my midwife has been really understanding of this and she has really championed and pushed for me to have a home birth as she completely understands that being in hospital could really exacerbate my mental health conditions and put me and bubs under more stress than is necessary. At one point due to certain guidelines it looked as if a labour ward birth was my only option which really stressed me out- that said if in an emergency I would obviously go into hospital no question asked, I'd just have to deal with it, putting baby's and my health first over my irrational fear.

My midwife actually got a new midwifery post in another area but has remained my midwife as she understands I need support and the continuity of care and she felt the new midwife I would be allocated wouldn't be suitable for me- I thank my lucky stars I have such an amazing midwife.

I know this has nothing to do with your situation and of course I'm not advocating a home birth, what I'm trying to say after that waffle is, can you explain everything and have a chat with your midwife about this? If you have a good relationship it could make all the difference. She may be able to explore further options for you, speak directly with your consultant and help support you further in what decision you make or push for. Sometimes we have a lot more options as pregnant women than we realise.

Good luck with everything lovely, thinking of you and your baby girl. Much love xxx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Awww one of my twin girls is called Mia :)
Yes I do think costs come in to it when you are advised to go for the natural birth but you shouldn't have to pay to go private. It sounds like you are pretty determined to go with the section and I completely understand why. Stick to your guns. Really wishing you and Mia the best of luck! :) x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

To me it sounds like, in a way, you kind of know what you want, and if this is the case you just need to spend some time and put a really good case forward for a c-section.
After all, the first few days after your little girls birth are going to be really testing and you want to be in the best place mentally to cope with what's going on and if you think you'll get that from having a c-section, then push for it.
Good luck with everything x

I'm sorry to hear everything your going through, you are one tough cookie keep strong for Mia.

Bare truth not sugar coated as you have a lot to think about, Induced labour can be pretty horrendous, you get the pessary(think that's what it's called) to soften the cervix and then if labour doesn't progress on its own you can be put on the drip (not nice) to start your body contracting. It will probably be a long progress and very emotional for you and tiring mentally and physically.

You need to consider if a straight forward birth didn't happen could this put your baby at risk.

Iv had 3 very different births all natural but not all straight forward and one was horrific, if it was me in your position with my first I would have said induce me and allow me to give birth naturally however now knowing what can happen in reality I would have a section if I was in your position.

My good friend is an excellent midwife I will ask here what she would do and let you know honestly.

Keep strong xx

Thankyou everyone so much for your replies, it's so lovely to know there is so much support out there for me. I'm truely so grateful. Mm29, that's all I've heard about induced labours, no1 has had a good experience from them as far as I've been told so my mind is definitely made up.
I've got to be strong, I have no other option and I'm hoping that by me being positive it will give Mia the determination to fight aswel. We did get offered a termination but both me and my partner agreed that we would spend the rest of our lives wondering if she would have made it. And so we are going to give her the choice whether she wants to fight to stay with us. It's always at the back of my mind and I've had a bit of a breakdown about it tonight but overall I'm coping ok, think it's probably normal for me to be having a few bad days.
Any info you could find out for me from your friend mm29 would be so appreciated.
Again, thankyou so much everyone, I'm completely overwhelmed by everyone's kindness xxx

Ahh I am sorry to hear of your little girls health problems, I hope everything goes well for you all xxx
My first 3 were born naturally but my 4th was induced due to being late. She is now 8 bless her. I only had the pessary but don't fall for the so called 'natural' they tend to include alongside an induced birth, in my experience there is nothing natural about it at all :0( let's just say if she had been my first she would have been an only child. If you want a c section then push for one, it can depend on what consultant you see as they are all different, if you are not happy then ask to see someone else for another opinion. My eldest daughter now works alongside the consultants in ante natal care, if you are unsure of your rights or anything at anytime I would be happy to ask her to see if she can help xxx

Sent from my C6603 using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm sorry to hear of your worries. I had a natural birth so I can't really comment on either an induced birth or a c section, I just had a thought I wanted to put to you. If your little girl will be a long way from you I presume you'll be travelling regularly to see her? A couple of people I know have had c sections and found it very painful to sit in the car for long periods so it might be worth considering?

Good luck whatever you decide x

I would speak to the consultant and discuss your fears with him.

He/ she will not take any risks with your baby.

Don't forget things may change during labour and delivery but they will do the very best for both of you.

Btw my friends daughter had the same condition as your little one, she now 15 and a lovely girl. Xx

Have you spoken to your community midwife about your concerns? She may be able to give you all of the risks/benefits of natural vs c-section plus act as your advocate at the hospital. If you have no luck with her ask to speak to a supervisor of midwives at your hospital. You have some very valid concerns and these need to be answered by the professionals who know your case.

Good luck with everything and try and stay positive xx

Yep I have spoken to my midwife loads about it, she's given me so much information about both childbirth methods. I've got another appmt with my consultant on the 4th April so am going to have a good chat with him then about it and see what he says. I hadn't thought about the pain I could be in while travelling to be honest so I need to consider that now, they have got a few family rooms at the hospital so I may be able to stay there for a while, will ask about that.
I've been hearing about a few babies with the same condition who have done/are doing really well so that fills me with so much hope :) xxx

Latest posts

Back