Being self employed, do you ever lose your "mojo"??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinkywinky

Reaction score
Silly title I know!!

Not talking about Austin Powers here, but what I mean is do you ever lose the enthusiasm and motivation that drives you to keep your business going, and feel ready to stop and do something else?

I wondered how many people sometimes get deflated? I am feeling a little like this at the moment. All my work is evenings and weekends so it seems, the odd daytime appointment here and there.

I'm in my 6th year of mobile and sometimes get a bit de-motivated. I can't say why, I think it is because I'd prefer more daytime appointments (have a 4 yr old and 6 month old I am at home with in the week).

Realisitically,I have the perfect job for a mum cos I have the best of both worlds in terms of working around my kids.

Sometimes I feel drained by the weekend and then I have to work. Not complaining on that note as I have work and enough of it which is helpful as we all need money.

My childminder is now not available on a Friday due to attending a college course, this is my busiest day and I don't have cover for my kids which is a big downer.

I've been looking at different career options but really don't want to do anything other than what I do.

Maybe I should advertise to get more daytime clients I think that's the answer.

Sorry to complain, being a one man band I have no colleagues to discuss this with so you lot have become my colleagues!

i get like this too , coz i work my appointments round hubbys shifts which is good for childcare but sometimes you dont feel like starting work at tea time when you have been chasing kids all day ....
but then again sometimes its like a break :lol: have to say though , all in i am generally happy with my job , coz its fits in so well with the kids so dont have to pay a fortune for chilcare :green:

I know exactly what you are saying.

I try and work around school hours, I like to take my son to school and pick him up. If he wants to invite a friend over to play, I can say 'yes'. I supplement my days work by working late one night a week, I work until 8pm and my inlaws pick son up from school and look after him until hub comes home.
I'm planning a 2nd late night but will pick son up, have tea and go back out to do 3 appointments which will be a killer, especially in winter.

But, everyone wants to book me at 3.15. Or on aday I can;t do. its sods law isn't it.

You basically have to be prepared to work 24/7 and that still wouldn't please everyone!!!

now I don't sweat if someone asks for an appointment that I can't give. I politely tell them when I am available, and repeat it again when they ask for something different.

it sounds like you are doing well if you are getting your 2 young children looked after. Would you consider working in a salon part-time? sometimes being mobile is so lonely.

Have tried the salon thing, got chatted up by a pervert on my first day, paid a pittance talked to like C**p from the manager, my son was also very upset being left with a childminder, which upset me so I left.

It's better money and more flexible with mobile (so why do I moan!!)

Much prefer being my own boss. Like you said it's fitting everyone in that's hard. I know do it around me and it seems to work.

I drove past the hospital on my way home and thought "What are you moaning about when there are all those nurses working nights" and I work til 930 - shouldn't complain really.

Right off to have a glass of wine and give myself a kick up the rear!! lol !

just don't give up.

I have often thought of jacking it all in and going to stack shelves in a supermarket.

But my stubborness kicks in. I've done all this training, I love love love what I do, I love the flexibility, I love being my own boss.

I especially love the fact that if I decide to change the way I do something, add or take something away, I don't have to ask permission of anyone.

I have worked freelance since I stared out 10 years ago. I've worked mobile, I've done pamper parties, I've worked with a group of therapists (10 infact) where we shared premises, I've rented a room about to rent a second, I've worked at a salon and a spa on a freelance basis. so, I call the shots. Wouldn't have it any other way.

downside is, it is unreliable, clients let you down, its lonely.

I know exactly what you mean. I work from home during school hours (not all of that time) and I do evenings, starting at 7 and having 1, 2 or 3 clients in the evening.

I'm feeling really drained atm, more daytime clients and less evening ones would be better but the eve appts are so popular with peeps who work obv. Think I'll cut down to just 2 or 3 eves a week (and I've been saying that for about a year lol) I feel bad when I don't have time to help the kids with their homework and stuff.

But I ADORE what I do, and love the flexibility it gives me, ie if I need time in the week to go to a school assembly/show or help with the swimming at school, or lunch with a friend or whatever I can just block time out when I choose. No salon job would give you that. I do moan but I love it really lol!

I can honestly say that in over the 4 years I've been in this industry, I've never felt like doing anything else. I guess I'm very self-motivated and driven. And I've been hooked on nails since the word go, I've even dreamed about nails :eek::lol:

Can I just say, though, how much easier life has been since I gave up the mobile and worked from home. So much less frantic, somehow, and obviously I can do more clients in a shorter space of time. I now have just three disabled ladies that I still visit but all others come to me now and it has made life much more straightforward. hth x

hi,
i think that if you have to work like i do, to afford the things you want for you and the kids, there for not a chequebook wife!!!
there is nothing better than having your own little business, you are so lucky you are there after school...
if your hearts not in it, then wots your ulternatives?? working in a shop would be mine, having to ask even if i need a wee!!!!
i no wot id rather do........:hug:

we all have our ups and downs days...ive had a few in the past...but it always is out shined for the passion and drive that DOES return.

I think you have to find the work fulfilling,which is what i love about it.

I thrive on a challenge,it gets my adrenalin going,and even when i get stressed,i think to myself now..."you know what girl youve gone through the pain barrier,this isnt nothing to what youve gone through",and it gives me a warm feeling.:)

yes my "mojo" can get down,but its the drive that speeds it back up:green:

I've noticed I have got worse since coming back from holiday at the beginning of September. I was in holiday mode and seem to still be there! Although have done quite a bit of work I still need some motivation! xx

Some mornings I get up and think - I wish I could just have lazy day and go back to sleep for an hour.

Its worse now the mornings are a darker shade of gray than that of the miserable summer we had.

But its all worth it in the end...

I loose my mojo quite often..... hey I'm such an actress these days I could give Merlyl Streep a run for her money ........ BUT ...... there are the good days also.
Some days I just pick a topic or subject and talk the same crap with every client. Good converstaion is an artform. Sometimes I can't be bothered.
I NEED A HOLIDAY !!!!!

Latest posts

Back