Believe in Your Own Ability !!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Debsidoo99

Reaction score
Just thought I'd pass on a little advice.
I am relatively new to the nail business (I trained 10 months ago with Creative). At first I stuck to friends and family to practice on until I was confident enough to face "real paying" clients. My confidence took such a battering as I really took everything so personally - if one of my ladies nails fell off I would automatically assume it was my fault that it fell off. I felt obliged to repair it for them for free !!! After a few weeks of this I was begining to get a bit peed off with the whole idea of being self employed. That was until I realised that the majority of my clients were more than happy with their nails and one of my good friends actually converted to me to do her nails after being with another tech for more than 6 years.
The icing on the cake was when a new client rang me to say (I quote):
"two of them nails you put on me have come off. can you repair them for me tonight cos I've got a hot date" CHEEKY OR WHAT !!!! Well, me being a big softy I went and repaired them feeling guilty as usual.............well that was until I realised why they came off. She had been moving house and had drop a heavy box and her thumb nails both came right off. I did repair them but told her that they are not indestructible and she must look after them better. She gave me £5 for my trouble.
You really don't know what clients do with their enhancements once they leave the table and I have learnt to believe in my own ability. There will always be folk ready to take advantage.
I now get clients to sign a form basically saying I am not responsible once they leave !!! Obviously if the damage is my fault I will repair but thus far I have had no genuine complaints.
Believing your own ability is the key to success.
:) :green: :) :green: :) :green:

here here deb well said!! as a new technician it is all to easy to blame yourself i had this problem when i first started out but now i am more than confident about the lovely new nails i leave on my ladies fingers and if they break them they pay to have them fixed. its only a matter of confidence and that comes with time and practise just dont beat yourself up in the mean time ;) because more often than not its the cleint that has done something and later goes into denial :lol: you just have to learn to read the signs every nail has a story to tell!

Clients love to say that a nail 'came off' or 'flew off' or 'dropped off' or they 'lost one' or it 'pinged' off ................ all these generally mean that they BROKE a nail and then, more than likely, picked the rest of the product off.

It is strange isn't it, that once you stop accepting the responsibility for their breakages and standing up for your work, all these things seem to stop happening to them. Hmmmm! The more confident you are, the less clients complain.

Have faith in your products, your training and your work and the evidence that you do good work, when 90% of your other clients are happy.

One of the most important things about being a nail technicain is beng able to use your knowledge to 'stand your corner' when a client complains. The better the foundation of knowledge you have, the better you will be able to argue your case if you need to. Time to take your Master Classes now. The more you learn the better equipped you will be.

geeg said:
Clients love to say that a nail 'came off' or 'flew off' or 'dropped off' or they 'lost one' or it 'pinged' off ................ all these generally mean that they BROKE a nail and then, more than likely, picked the rest of the product off.

It is strange isn't it, that once you stop accepting the responsibility for their breakages and standing up for your work, all these things seem to stop happening to them. Hmmmm! The more confident you are, the less clients complain.

Have faith in your products, your training and your work and the evidence that you do good work, when 90% of your other clients are happy.

One of the most important things about being a nail technicain is beng able to use your knowledge to 'stand your corner' when a client complains. The better the foundation of knowledge you have, the better you will be able to argue your case if you need to. Time to take your Master Classes now. The more you learn the better equipped you will be.
Absolutly spot on !!!!!!!!!!!!!
The other thing you could do is, tell them every set gets a free pistole, so they can shot pingers in mid air !!!!!!
Sorry could help myself..........

I totaly agree as well, even though i'm still only new.

I just wondered how you word the form you get them to sign?

I use the client questionnaire which is on the designer nails website. I've modified it to suit my salon etc etc.

I totally agree with u. I've been qualified 4 years and you can spot a blagger a mile off. I usually get "I really don't know what happened, it just lifted". That's probably because its been about 3 weeks since u last saw the client and their desperate for a re-balance. If they think they can get away with a freebie they'll try anything. Stick to your guns girl.

It has been said before to ask the client to bring in any nails that may "just ping off" so you can establish what made it do just that. Once the client knows you will know if its their fault or not it doesn`t happen any more.
I took this advice when it was first given and I haven`t had anyone say that any more

Debs said:
It has been said before to ask the client to bring in any nails that may "just ping off" so you can establish what made it do just that. Once the client knows you will know if its their fault or not it doesn`t happen any more.
I took this advice when it was first given and I haven`t had anyone say that any more

Thanks for the advice Debs. Never thought of asking the client to bring back the broken tip. Thats really crafty, i like it. Any more tips on dodgy clients just let me know.

Lv Bobs ... :green: :green:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back