Benefit fraud

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jellybaby1970

Reaction score
If you knew someone was fraudulently claiming benefits would you report them no matter what?

I wouldn't report them, I'd rather stay out of it. And I would hate the thoughts of making someone struggle through an investigation.

Personally I wouldn't...I'd mind my own business.

No I wouldn't, it could cause real hardship for someone, especially if the information was incorrect and I wouldn't want to be responsible for that.

The amount of lost revenue from Benefit fraud is negligable compared to corporate tax evasion.

So no, I wouldn't report it.

No I live and let live !!
I know it's incredibly irritating when you work so hard trying to make ends meet and miss out on your children ! Then some don't work have what they need and never worry about money even when they are earning , but I find situations like this are short lived and people get caught at some point !!
I'd rather let them carry on but nowadays we need every penny x

I'm quite surprised by the responses.....

The amount of lost revenue from Benefit fraud is negligable compared to corporate tax evasion.

So no, I wouldn't report it.

Totally agree!!

Someone reported me.
I was working 12 hours and claiming ESA, the dss knew I was working, I told them. I used their business advisor.
Someone (I know who) reported me and said I was working up to 50 hours a week! I wish that a) I had that many clients and b) my disability would allow me to work this much.

They put me through hell, suspended my benefit including housing benefit until it was investigated. Took around 6 weeks. I had no money at all. My depression got worse and I ended up very ill. Eventually it got sorted and they agreed it was a malicious report.

So no, I wouldn't report anyone. You never know the real facts.

I wouldn't report either , just be proud that every penny I spend is all earnt by myself . Don't really care what other people are up to :)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using SalonGeek mobile app

I wouldn't, but I do think it depends on the situation. If someone was falsely claiming yet working full time, or had a partner working full time yet claiming to be a single parent would get up my nose.

I don't see why everyone else should have to work, pay rent whilst some fiddle the system.

Xx

Personally I think it is a vulgar idea. Why would you be so malicious and vindictive . There are far worse things happening for you to be concerned about. I believe you would have to be whiter then white yourself, such a nasty deed would surly come back on you.

I am so pleased at everyone's response on here as someone with a disabled mum who has good days (rarely) where she can walk about more than normal.
Someone could see that and think oh she's fine, she can work!!
I would keep out of it, the tests they carry out to check if your still eligible for disability benefits make even my mum nervous.

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

I am so pleased at everyone's response on here as someone with a disabled mum who has good days (rarely) where she can walk about more than normal.
Someone could see that and think oh she's fine, she can work!!
I would keep out of it, the tests they carry out to check if your still eligible for disability benefits make even my mum nervous.

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

I care for a disabled lady, genetic condition its never going to get better it is pretty obvious but even she panics when sent for those tests.

Yet my partners family are mainly on benefits due to being dam right lazy! One of his brothers does gardening cash in hand, that gets my back up. & he pays f all for his kids yet has the latest tv, ipad, iphone etc.

Xx

I wouldn't. But want to!!! My friend has a wee boy and lives in a lovely house (rented) worth at least £200,000. Her partner is a football player, not just bottom league I'm talking a well known team yet she claims all the benefits under the sun and claims she is a single parent. 😡😡😡😡
I work 45 hours in an office and have clients almost every night till late, work some Saturdays. My partner works 36 hours a week as a bin man and does as many delivery jobs as possible when he is off work and we have a bought house worth £86,000. Love my house and love how we work hard for everything but it really gets on my nerves people like that!!!! Rant over 😉 xx

I really don't think I could, but I suppose it would depend on the situation. The main thing that makes me think I wouldn't be able to, is what if I was wrong?! I'd feel so guilty. My friend had someone say she wasn't disabled, didn't need a disabled badge etc because she walked fine... Well she has a terminal heart condition! They soon wrote to them and said they'd investigated and seen there medical records and would not be going further with there complaint lol. But the stress can finish someone off! I just couldn't run that risk!

I wouldn't.

The Government relies on this kind of thing, when if they actually tried to tackle the issue properly themselves, people wouldn't become so involved in other people's lives.

You don't always know people's circumstances and nor should you either.

I also think that you actually have to question your motives for reporting. Are you being an upstanding citizen? Or are you doing it out of anger?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I agree with other people's sentiments I wouldn't report either- to be perfectly honest I know many many people who do it as well.

I keep out of other people's business as others have said we don't know all the facts, and if they aren't legit then what goes around comes around perhaps in other ways.

I can't be bothered to go out of my way to report other people for something like this. I've got my own life and quite frankly bigger fish to fry!

Latest posts

Back