Best acrylic and gel?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tilla

Reaction score
Just starting out and a little overwhelmed with the choice of products, what's the best?

There is no "best". There are professional quality products developed by serious brands and "me-too" standard products from factories made to look different with packaging.

To some extent what you will appreciate will depend on your level of skill. It is much easier to find a reliable salon product than for example, a product good enough to be used by an expert at top competitions.

The easiest way to chose is to look at what education the company offers. If all they offer is basic classes, how would they have the knowledge to offer good products?

A supplier should be more than a supermarket. As a business you need a partner who can help you to develop your skills and knowledge, and who will be responsive when you need help. When you lose a customer, that is money you lose not once but every month until you find a replacement. So like in any relationship, chose your partner carefully! :)

Maybe I should have worded it differently, which products are nice to work with and last well on clients?

The problem Tilla, is that everyone has their favourite - which is largely what they trained with. In the UK the main brands are probably CND, NSI, OPI, Harmony.

Maybe I should have worded it differently, which products are nice to work with and last well on clients?

Bob's advice is good.
Choose a brand that only sells to professionals. The majority of these brands should be nice to use and last well, but I suppose you could think of it a bit like buying a bra! A 34C from M&S wont necessarily be the same fit as a 34C from John Lewis! I know that sounds odd, but a nail product that lasts really well on one client might not suit the next client, and the same goes for ease of application. Everyone has different preferences, so you'll never get 100% perfection from one product.

Are products provided on your course? Or are you expected to source your own?

I would suggest purchasing some trial packs to see how you get on and how you like working with the products. I've used En Vogue, Polygel and Light Elegance and Fuzion. Light Elegance is my favourite but I've also trained with Celina Ryden and love their color and glitter gel lines so I'm admittedly biased. I can't speak to acrylic as I'm a gel tech. I also liked En Vogue and it performed well. I'm not a fan of Polygel and I found it wasn't strong enough for my clients and I had major lifting issues I didn't have with other brands. Good luck!

I would suggest purchasing some trial packs to see how you get on and how you like working with the products. I've used En Vogue, Polygel and Light Elegance and Fuzion. Light Elegance is my favourite but I've also trained with Celina Ryden and love their color and glitter gel lines so I'm admittedly biased. I can't speak to acrylic as I'm a gel tech. I also liked En Vogue and it performed well. I'm not a fan of Polygel and I found it wasn't strong enough for my clients and I had major lifting issues I didn't have with other brands. Good luck!

Thank you so much for the help, great advice I'll get ordering x

Latest posts

Back