Best Age To Start

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lynda

Reaction score
Hi Everybody

A quick question, one I am asked alot.

What would you all consider to be the right age for Nail Training.
Is there a lower age limit on the CND Foundation Course.

Thanks for any info

Lynda

Some young ones can pick up the art of doing nails quite quickly at surprisingly tender years.

One Creative Ambassador that I know, started when she was 15 and was also like a walking Creative Manual by age 16 ... the problem as I see it is that at that age, the youngster has no credibility in the salon situation. Most mature women would just not trust a juvenile of that age to do their nails and would not respect their opinion or heed their advice. Insurance could also be a potential problem.

But there is nothing wrong with starting young as long as one is prepared to wait.

I'm not sure where to post an introduction (just joined this board) so I guess this thread's a good place to put one!

I actually started with the basic manicure/pedicure when I was about 13 - I learned from books, and a *really* bad correspondance course, and then my mum took an interest and started helping! What first started my interest was that I used to bite my nails, and I'd read that a good way to stop was to get regular manicures. I couldn't afford the prices in the only 2 salons (in this area) that offered nail treatments, so I decided to learn how to do my own.

I did my first acrylics at about 14, with a shop-bought kit, and just went from there, with various training courses. (I'm 23 now)

I did have quite a degree of credibility, even at that age, though I think it helped immensely looking and acting a few years older!
What's weird is that the older women I spoke to actually did take what I said seriously, while I'd get a lot of girls my own age come up, ask for advice, and then laugh at something they thought was "weird", even something as simple as pushing back cuticles. (they even seemed to think the word was somehow highly amusing)

Im currently doing the c&g course, and there's a couple of girls on it who are 15-17, and they have the "lack of credibility" problem though, even amongst others who are also there to learn, so I think a lot depends on the person.

Sawasdee ka

My sister ple she have 16 year and she start first learn clean shop then she learn wash hair and blow dry .

Now she do manicure and pedicure and she do nail art very beautifull learn from look christiesnails.com .

Now i teach her everything lady Teach me in Bangkok i think age no problem for learn but i think maybe what geeg say maybe lady not want ple do nail because have young she can learn now and make cutomer nail when later good for her .

My sister have a book with many picture she can make nail art lady she sit look picture say i want this ple she do for customer and customer happy .

I think if young girl want learn beauty salon and nail can young because have many year to learn i think will have to study many years me for learn all i want learn last night i look picture crystal nails i nearly fall off bed them so beautifull have in magazine how to make but i know i can not but in 1 month more i try for sure .

Kop khun ka mui

Morning!

I started doing nails when i was 17 through to 19 and even though i was a young nail tech, i always got respect and people always listened to my advice when it came to nails. I think it's the way you carry yourself and your own maturity levels etc. If you really do know what you're talking about you'll have (or should have) the confidence to carry you through. :D

In fact, i'm more nervous now (5 years on) than i ever was as i haven't done nails in so long, have just completed my training and feel like i'm starting all over again as everything is so different now. :shock: :oops:

hiya
as some of you know my daughter jema is 10 & she's been around the salon envoirment all her life.
she's v.artistic, & loves people.
she likes to come to the salon sometimes in the holidays, 2day for instance!
she knows how to behave, & she's v.gd at taking off enamel, applying solar oil, & buffing up with blocks & girlfriend.
clients comment that she has a better technique than the trainees we have in the salon sometimes :D
i have been gradually been helping her to build up her "kit" 8)
she's wicked at pedicures, she regularly does her nan & her aunties feet :D
i'm going to show her how to do spa manicure nxt.
she's wanted to work with l & p for ages & i've put her off so far.
i've told her that if she stops picking her nails for long enough to shape them, i'll show her the basics.
she also loves nail art & regularly practices on tips.
i'm happy for her to learn as much as she wants & as it looks like she's going to go to grammer school nxt yr, i'll expect her to work equally as hard on her school work!
who knows, mayb she'll b one of the youngest masters there is , we'll have to wait & see :D
lol liza xx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back