Best and worst holidays abroad!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahpoppy24

Reaction score
Ok so it's coming to holiday season again!! So what has been the holiday of a lifetime and why? Who's had a holiday from hell? I will add mine in a min but phone about to lose battery x

Can't believe it's that time of year already!!
Holiday of a lifetime for me was trip to Paris 3 years ago. Was me and my friend's first holiday on our own. Flew in, we're picked up by a family friend who I'd never met and he didn't speak a word of English. We were then dropped off at our hotel which was literally falling to bits,. That first night my mum phoned me and at the sound of her voice I just burst into tears(we'd been up for 48 hours and I get very emotional when exhausted haha). Bit of a bumpy start to holiday with some other incidents but we had the most amazing time. Saw the sights, shopped, drank, met some rather lovely Parisian men and bumped into Karl Lagerfeld up the Eiffel Tower. The whole week was such an amazing experience.
Haven't had a holiday from hell. Touch wood I won't have one.

I've really only had one holiday from hell. It was in Playa Del ingles in 1995.

It was like those holiday from hell programmes you see on the telly, you know dirty, cockroches, blah blah blah.

I had gone on a girly holiday with my four friends and when we complained, the holiday rep just wasn't taking us seriously, so after a week of putting up with the place, we demanded (and when I say we, I mean my mad friend that you don't mess with) to be moved.

We asked to go to a different resort and they agreed, so our second week was sheer bliss.

Funny how things happen, because I met a lovely fella that week... he's now my Husband and to top it all off...

We were given a full refund... RESULT!! :D

Last edited:
My holiday of a life time.... September 2011
It was my Mum's 50th Birthday, my dad took her on a surprise holiday... She knew she was going away (for what she thought was 2 weeks) that was it.... No idea where or anything!!!
So week 1... They arrived at London Gatwick, before check in Dad told Mum they were going to Mexico! They arrived in Mexico at a beautiful 5* all inclusive adults only resort! (not one of the dodgy adults only, just no kids! Lol)
After an amazing week, she knew there was a week 2! He told her try had to fly to Orlando airport to get a connecting flight and he wasn't telling her where she was going until arriving at Orlando!!!
They arrived at Orlando, on way to collect baggage... By the baggage belt, there was 8 of us waiting with a 6ft happy birthday banner with a photo of her!!! (the 8 people included: myself and my fiancé, my brother, his wife and 2 kids and my other brother and his wife!) as you can imagine she was very overwhelmed by all 3 of her children an their partners and her 2 grandchildren waiting to greet her!!!
This is when she realised all 10 of us would be spending the week in Orlando in a 5* luxurious villa! The next day we hired some convertible mustangs and visited 'Downtown Disney' here we hired a private boat and went on a boat ride in the lake, this is where my dad said to my mum 'Don't be getting used to this cruising malarkey!!' Mum replied 'I could easily get used to this!' Dad then said 'How do you fancy going a cruise next week around the Caribbean on the Oasis I the Seas (the largest cruise ship in the world)?' she looked happy, however disappointed as she thought this meant we would all be going home and her and my dad would be doing a cruise over her birthday without us (she had made it very clear she did not want to be away over her birthday as she wanted to down it with us!) my dad then told her we would all be joining too and she was absolutely over the Moon!!!
We had an AMAZING week in Florida, some fabulous memories! Then an amazing 2nd week (3rd week for Mum and Dad) followed by a cruise around the Caribbean!!! This ship is unreal! Absolutely out of this world, as was the holiday! We finished our last week being collected at the port by a 22 seater cadillac escapade to take us to the airport!

I don't even have words to describe our amazing holiday other than 'out of this world!!!'

We then arrived home to family waiting at our house with champagne and balloons etc followed by a surprise party the following weekend :)

Wow you guys have sure had some amazing times mine sound so normal in comparison. My worst holiday was to France with my mum and brother in 2003, I am so afraid of boats, in the same way as people who are phobic of flying. I was terrified id been working all day and the ferry was a night crossing, I was hysterical driving on to the ferry and stayed awake all night walking round the boat crying when everyone else was asleep. We got to where we were staying it was like a small apartment on a tiny little place with nothing there just these little buildings and a over priced resteraunt. Our place STANK of fish, like they had been cooking fish for the past 20 years in there. The bath was discusting, all cracked and rusty, horrible beds, felt so unclean. My mum knew someone who had recommended the place, so couldnt tell her what I thaught as poor mum had payed for me to go with them. After we got back we have joked about how rubbish it was though. To top it off we went for a drive and we found this AMAZING resort town with posh designer shops, massive beach, lush hotels along the seafront about an hour away and wished we were were staying there! It was self catering and the only place to get food in was a scabby old supermarket, the pots and pans in our kitchenett were greasy, had to re wash them before using them, no one spoke English, which would have not been a problem but there was no one we could complain to as we booked independantly and not through a company.

Best holiday as with my friends who were getting married in Cyprus, first time flying and I was going to be a bridesmaid. Lovely weather and we really explored the island, her parents are seasoned travelers and are very hippy types and had us in the non tourist areas driving round cliffs seeing traditional goat farmers etc, and snorkeling on deserted beaches. Seeing a monastry up in the mountains, and aphrodities well etc, was amazing, we were in Paphos so some of us also went down the club strip one night. On our last day my friend got married was so lovely, and they stayed an extra week as honey moon and we flew back day after. Each day was different and was with a mix of ages from early 20's to people in their 60's some who met on the holiday for the first time, real interesting people and was just a great experience. Hired jeeps and just drove all over exploring in the sun, trying all the local foods etc just brill, would highly recommend Cyprus for a holiday ate fresh fruit off the trees too! Too many good times to mention.

PS its not that I disliked France as a country, has some amazing childhood holidays there, just didn't like our accomadation on that particular holiday.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS to every one jetting off this year! x:D

Anyone else??? I'm going to Mexico in sept... Can't wait :) hoping it will be another holiday of a life time! Just me and my man this time :) xx

Holiday for me everyday living in Portugal :) love it !
Defo want to emigrate to Australia
Australia and America my favourites !

Worst holiday was a last minute to turkey with my mum,sister and my friend. We were the only English people in our hotel,everyone else staying seemed not to sleep but run up and down the corridors every night,the hotel staff were rude and only cared about making money,they closed the pool the day we got there because they ran out of cleaning stuff!! They done a Turkish night on our 3rd night so we thought we'd see what that was like,while we were getting ready,our room was getting really dusky,opened the door and found out the whole bottom floor was on fire!! We were on the 4th floor so had to go down all then flights of stairs though this thick black smoke,terrifying to say the least. We still had to sleep there that night and the rest of the holiday,the hotel didn't even have their own fire fighting equipment!! shocking lol!

But the best,was my holiday last year. My mum got married it Rhodes to my now stepdad,there was 55 of us,all family and friends,everyone just clicked on the first day and we've made new friends and discovered a new other half of our family!! Everyone was so relaxed,it was never a stress to make sure people got on,everyone mingled in with everyone from day one. Then the wedding day itself map absolutely stunning,the location and the happiness of my mum was just fantastic,could never have asked for a better day for her,everything went perfectly. That was in July and then in august we had a party back here for everyone who came to Rhodes and who couldn't make the wedding,was so great to see everyone again and relive some of the memories we had that year :)
Would do it again in a flash :)

Kayleigh xx

Essential Bliss Beauty Therapy

essential bliss thats awful how traumatic to be in a fire like that. A good tip is dont ever book a holiday with out checking on trip adviser first. Its a great way of seeing what the hotels are like. XX

essential bliss thats awful how traumatic to be in a fire like that. A good tip is dont ever book a holiday with out checking on trip adviser first. Its a great way of seeing what the hotels are like. XX

Yeah we always do now!! I spend hours searching for reviews haha,but at least we no exactly what we're getting and every holiday since has been great :)
It was pretty horrible but didn't let it ruin our holiday,the main thing was that no one was hurt :) the hotel next door were so lovely to all the guests! Safe to say we didn't go to the Turkish night haha xx

Essential Bliss Beauty Therapy

My best holiday has been marmaris in turkey, I love it. we stay at the ideal prime beach hotel, it's just been renovated last year & is beautiful. we are going again next month for a week. Can't honestly wait!

Next year we are going to Mexico, i think cancun.. but not entirely sure just yet as we are still undecided, will be booking something probably this September time, to go next summer.

xx

My best holiday has been marmaris in turkey, I love it. we stay at the ideal prime beach hotel, it's just been renovated last year & is beautiful. we are going again next month for a week. Can't honestly wait!

Next year we are going to Mexico, i think cancun.. but not entirely sure just yet as we are still undecided, will be booking something probably this September time, to go next summer.

xx

We are going to Mexico in September, the resort looks amazing and family have stayed there before! Will let you know what it's like xxx

Jamaica!!

We went for 2 weeks in January, (myself, OH, our 3 children, sister in law, my best friend her OH and their sun).
We stayed in Montego Bay at the RIU. It was paradise. Was very dubious about Jamaica when my partner first suggested it because of it's reputation but it was fantastic! The people were lovely, food was great and the sun was soooo hot!
Our friends got married on the beach a week in and our boys dressed as pirates, the girls as princesses. Different but they loved it!

Would recommend it to anyone, I'm saving to go back!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1336681314.118148.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1336681314.118148.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 133
Jamaica!!

We went for 2 weeks in January, (myself, OH, our 3 children, sister in law, my best friend her OH and their sun).
We stayed in Montego Bay at the RIU. It was paradise. Was very dubious about Jamaica when my partner first suggested it because of it's reputation but it was fantastic! The people were lovely, food was great and the sun was soooo hot!
Our friends got married on the beach a week in and our boys dressed as pirates, the girls as princesses. Different but they loved it!

Gorgeous pic - priceless :) xxx

thank you :) the picture is off my daughter and our friends son, my favourite picture from the whole holiday!!

Sent from my GT-S5360 using SalonGeek

I'm off to Crete tomorrow with my fella. Yay :) hopefully it will be a good experience not a disastrous one x

I'm off to Crete tomorrow with my fella. Yay :) hopefully it will be a good experience not a disastrous one x

Keep us posted on how it is...we're off to Crete in 5 weeks and.getting.married while we're there - cant wait! xx

Sent from my GT-I9000 using SalonGeek

Best hols:
Maldives - amazing place like heaven on earth. We did loads of stuff sailing , diving etc a shed load of chillaxing on the most perfect, white powder beaches I could ever imagine. Beautiful place. My partner and I went when his mum was terminally ill- sounds terrible but we were in process of cancelling it and losing alot of our £ when she said if we didnt go she would never talk to us again; so we went unwilling but she cried over us not going - im sure this sounds awful. It was the most perfect "breAk" ever. My partner is in forces and away so much he spent 6months working day and night and every day off driving 12hour round trips to care for his mum. It was such a horrid time and all that could have made it better was if the circumstances were different- but at that, maybe we wouldnt have appreciated it so much.

Egypt - first hol with the mr back in 2005, was a fun filled roasting hot hol. We had so much fun. Not amazing because it was egypt, just because we had such a fun time.

Worst hol:

Girls hol to greece! My friend and I fell out on day 2 and i spent the next 3 days alone in a party destination and ended up spending my hol (last 5 days) latched on to another group of girls from london who came to stay at our hotel. Was good i made friends but the atmosphere and sharing a room after we stopped speaking and being woken at 4am with her coming in to OUR room with random men was a complete nightmare. We travelled home not speaking, parted and havent spoke since....

Jamaica!!

I don't know who took that photo, but it is totally magical. I hope you've had it blown up on canvas and put on your wall.

Can't say I have really had a very bad holiday. I have recently come back from Brazil and it was the most amazing place I think I have been to yet. Of all the places I visited in Brazil Rio de Janeiro, Fortaleza and Maceio stand out as favourites.

It has made me want to see so much more of South America

Latest posts

Back