best beauty courses

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VICKYBROOKES

Reaction score
hi there im fairly new to this site and im studying nvq 2 make up via the carlton institute in windsor . im finding the course ok but with not much follow up from the tutors and the courses are expensive . im looking to get a similar qualification in facial ., waxing and eye brow treatments ect but would like to train somewhere else . my local college is bracknell and wokingham college . there are a few courses but i dont think they offer a proper qualification . i have emailed them but with no response. can i just ask if anyone knows any decent places to train that dont charge the earth and what qualifications are best . are vtct diplomas any good? i have seen a course via stonebridge college that offers aset level 3 . i have never heard of this before and would obviusly need to train hands on somewhere as well . does anyone know wether this qualification is worth the paper its written on ? sorry this is long but i dont want to waste me dosh on crap training . thanks in advance geeks!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Vicky,

As a fellow Calton Institute student i can understand your frustration with the support provided, although i must admit that i have always found that when i called the head office they have always provided me with excellent advice. I passed my NVQ2 and IHBC's with them ealier this year.

Whilst I can't recommend any alternative college's, i wanted to confirm that VTCT are the awarding and governing body for the majority of qualifications within beauty therapy, so you generally can't go wrong with that. Always do your research as i have recently studied for an additional qualification with a different college, and have found that the learning environment and attitude of the trainers leaves much to be desired. try and get reccomendations if you can, or at least visit the college first.

hi mini pig ! thanks for the advice . i really did enjoy the course at the carlton but have recieved no help afterwards . ive just been left to put my portfolio together myself . how did u find the mke up nvq2 ? what happened on the assessment day and were they really watching ur every move? am really worried about the assements as i have no idea what goes on . depending on how well the make up course goes i mite do waxing there too . seams the best option for me apart from the money it costs!! will have to save up !

I did the make up and ear piercing course, but i didn't get on with make up so i did the ear peircing. The assessment day was quite relaxed. Don't worry, they don't watch your every move, they leave you to get on with your treatment and the assessors and external verifiers just watch. Sometimes they may ask a question or two, but it is otherwise okay. I found it quite easy, despite doing 5 hours of treatments back to back! I was very tired at the end of it.

If you're having problems with your portfolio, PM me and i'll try and help, or call Carlton and they will talk you through what you need to do.

I recently did a VTCT beauty level 2 at brentwood academy of health & beauty ( essex ) the teaching and support was fabulous.
you can do seperate modules for this course too, yes its expensive but its worth it and has a grt reputation.
I will never do a fast track nails or anything else at these other small colleges, they are simply crap and just after your money, ive been there myself!!!
pm me if you want more info bird!!

Carrie xx

Thanks for your replies . they were a great help . i can see what u mean honey mummy . it does fell like they charge alot for what they offer. im going to do nvq waxing with them then do a part time course at my local college for 6 weeks as to get more practical skill . minipig did u have to pierce earsfor 5 hrs straight then? ive done this course and they litrally took 30 mins to show u then expect u to know it all . u must have pierced 100 pairs in that time lol!! did u do the whole nvq 2 with them ? as its the make up case studies im stuck with as regards to layout etc . also as its my first nvq qualification in beauty i really dont know how to present it . or what it should look like . for example should i make it look all fancy etc?

hi just wanted say i'm starting in sept doing VTCT level 2 makeup it's cost me about £280.00 with an additional £100.00 . not sure if this is a good price or not but looking at other colleges close by it's about the same.it's 3 half hours every week and lasts for 33 weeks.

i know my location is different to you but there maybe a college a bit further away from you that you can try the one i'm going to is Telford college and it's about 30 min drive from me in Wolverhampton.

good luck :hug:

Thanks for your replies . they were a great help . i can see what u mean honey mummy . it does fell like they charge alot for what they offer. im going to do nvq waxing with them then do a part time course at my local college for 6 weeks as to get more practical skill . minipig did u have to pierce earsfor 5 hrs straight then? ive done this course and they litrally took 30 mins to show u then expect u to know it all . u must have pierced 100 pairs in that time lol!! did u do the whole nvq 2 with them ? as its the make up case studies im stuck with as regards to layout etc . also as its my first nvq qualification in beauty i really dont know how to present it . or what it should look like . for example should i make it look all fancy etc?

Hi,

No! I was being assessed for my entire NVQ level 2 in beauty, so i did facials, waxing, manicure, pedicure, lash tinting & perming, and ear piercing in that time! If you PM me with your concerns i'll reply with some examples from my own portfolio to help you.

Brentwood academy does deserve it's reputation for it's training. I live just 2 minutes down the road from it so i would look to do future courses there if and when i can afford to do so. their website address is Brentwood Academy - For Electrical Facial, Eye Treatments, Nail Enhancements, Professional Makeup, Aromatherapy, Reiki, Bach Flower, Indian Head Massage, Reflexology, Reiki, Sports Massage and Stress Management and you can get their brochure on their website.

Latest posts

Back