best book covering nail diseases & disorders

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fab Freak

Reaction score
...any one know of a god indepth book into the above - all suggestions recommendations welcome...thanks - oh and any web sites of course

MARIAN NEWMAN, THE COMPLETE NAIL TECHNICIAN.
This covers Nail dieases and disorder also or you could try
Manicure, Pedicure & Advanced Nail Techniques By Elaine Almond.
Both are very good allround books.

lesley1965 said:
MARIAN NEWMAN, THE COMPLETE NAIL TECHNICIAN.
This covers Nail dieases and disorder also or you could try
Manicure, Pedicure & Advanced Nail Techniques By Elaine Almond.
Both are very good allround books.

I have the Marian Newman book - was after better illustrations/pics of the diseases - so i will look at your other choice. thanks

The Encyclopedia Of Nails by Jacqui Jefford and Anne Swain has a whole section dedicated to Nail and skin diseases including photographs and descriptions.

I got my copy from Amazon, but it occaisionally comes up on ebay too - it's about £20-25 but worth every penny.

Your local library may have a copy in the reference section, and you can take copies of the pages for a small fee I believe?????

HTH

Trinity Nails said:
The Encyclopedia Of Nails by Jacqui Jefford and Anne Swain has a whole section dedicated to Nail and skin diseases including photographs and descriptions.

I got my copy from Amazon, but it occaisionally comes up on ebay too - it's about £20-25 but worth every penny.

Your local library may have a copy in the reference section, and you can take copies of the pages for a small fee I believe?????

HTH
I second that :)

Encyclopedia Of Nails is my bible, once I saw my college tutor arrive with it stuck under her arm I immediately ordered it & I think its worth every penny. A good broad spectrum of topics & definately a good starting point in your library.

Karen

Try one of these:

'A text Atlas of Nail Disorders' By Robert Baran, Rodney P R Dawber, Antonella Tosti, and Eckart Haneke ISBN: 1-85317-201-4

Or

'Barab and Dawber's Disease of the Nails and their Management' (by basically the sam lot of people) ISBN: 0-632-05358-5

Both are guaranteed to make you lose your lunch (even if its dinner time)

sounds just what i am after thanks Mr Geek

hi there Louise,

Try Nails Appearance and Therapy by Martin Dunitz it's really good and has loads of pics.... i got it from the NEC and its £10.95
Amanda

Lily said:
hi there Louise,

Try Nails Appearance and Therapy by Martin Dunitz it's really good and has loads of pics.... i got it from the NEC and its £10.95
Amanda
thanks amanda - PS how did Lee do in his exam?

Fab Freak said:
thanks amanda - PS how did Lee do in his exam?
Hiya,
I think he has done ok, he had another 2hr paper today and a practical assesment too!! i can't type with this nail on from Antony...it's cool though!!! also try this for a web site....www.dermnet.com it has some fab pictures on it!!
Amanda

Quoting Mr Geek

"Both are guaranteed to make you lose your lunch (even if its dinner time)"

Erm sorry, but aren't you meant to be ENCOURAGING us to look at this stuff?? :biggrin:

heh. I guess... But this may shock you...
I dont think its overly important for a nail technician to study anything other than common nail disorders.

Why? Because if you see anything outside the scope of a common disease or disorder than you would need to refer it to a derm anyway.
These books are really stomache turning, written by derms who have a slightly warped perception of the commonality of nail disease and disorders.
That isnt a dig on derms as they are by far the most important professionals in our industry. I only say slightly warped because they seldom ever see anything besides really extreme diseases and disorders. That would warp anyones perception at least slightly!

In my opinion, books like Encyclopedia of nails and Nail structure and product chemistry are far more relevant to us as professionals.
If you want more info... take it the next level to 'The Nail in Health and Disease' by Nardo Zaias. Which is kind of the 'next step' to the other books I mentioned. But saying that, even that book is slightly dated as its 25 years old.

At the end of the day, these books can only help to enrichen your understanding of nails, but just take them all with the understanding of how very rare these cases really are (*gack* I just scanned Baran and Dawbers and honest hand on heart just about lost my Large Big Tasty Meal *gack*).

Anyhoo... just thought I would share my thoughts on the subject ;)

A Queston?

We are Nail Technicians NOT doctors or dermatologists ... NOR should we even attempt to make a diagnosis of a nail or skin condition if we did see one, ... so WHY when probably the most we will ever see is either a Pseudomonas bacterial infection, onycholysis, fungal infection (so rare on hands that I have only ever seen it twice in 20 years) would anyone want a book with these hundreds of disorders and diseases????

I don't NEED to know what they are. If I see something weird or unusual on a client, I send them to the doctor or podiatrist.

No I don't suppose you need to know what all the nail diseases and disorders are, but if you are like me and want to know everything there is to know about nails then why not. obviously we are not doctors and would not make any diagnosis, but I for one would like to know what most if not all nail diseases/disorders look like.

Amanda:rolleyes:

The Nail Geek said:
my Large Big Tasty Meal
LARGE???? :rolleyes:

GEEG said:
if i see anything unusual or weird on a client i refer them to a doctor

SNAP!! bit squemish me so off to the doc's they go!! :lol:

I agree with Geeg and the others about nail disorders - alot of tech's find the disorders etc intriguing (pardon my spelling) and knowing what is what helps with the knowledge factor even though we are not going to diagnose a problem.
l know a few Doctors who could do with reading up on the books that Mr Geek advised. :lol:

by eck - i'd never think in a million years of trying to diagnose - but I like to learn and dont see why I should not be aware of those devilish infections & disorders - even if I NEVER see one in the next 20 years....

Fab Freak said:
by eck - i'd never think in a million years of trying to diagnose - but I like to learn and dont see why I should not be aware of those devilish infections & disorders - even if I NEVER see one in the next 20 years....
Me too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i would never ever diagnose, but i would like to know what they all look like, just out of intrest
Amanda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back