Best Books

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NatalieJ

Reaction score
Hi all,

Can any of you make up geeks out there recommend a good book on the art of make up? I am starting a course next week and would like to buy a book for extra reading. I have seen 'The complete guide to make up' on amazon, has anybody got this and what do you think?

Francois Nars Makeup Your Mind is my ultimate favourite makeup book. It is so inspirational.

Kevyn Aucoin's books are also very good.

Get something with loads of pics and photos. Something which is just all text and theory is pretty useless for makeup IMO, as it is an art and all about visual creativity.

Enjoy :green:

Thanks, ill look into them.

Hope you don't mind me asking, where did you train to be a make-up artist?

The London School of Beauty and Makeup, and then I assisted other more experienced artists to get my real education.

Some of the best MUAs never had a formal makeup education, but just went straight in at the assisting other artists level. Too much emphasis is put on certificates these days. With makeup, if you've got it, you've got it, and if you haven't got it, no piece of paper will prove otherwise :green:

yeah I read that Ruby Hammer went straight into assisting a a make-up artist she met in the restaurant she was working at!

I know what you mean about the certificate, I suppose its like Art, but I just feel I should have some formal qualification behind me. What kind of things did you assist on? sorry for all the questions just really interested!

yeah I read that Ruby Hammer went straight into assisting a a make-up artist she met in the restaurant she was working at!

I know what you mean about the certificate, I suppose its like Art, but I just feel I should have some formal qualification behind me. What kind of things did you assist on? sorry for all the questions just really interested!

That's a good idea, a makeup course will give you a good basic knowledge, and make you a more attractive prospect to an artist who requires an assistant.

As for what kind of things I assisted on.....anything I could is the answer! Seriously, you can't be fussy and don't expect to get paid either!

When you're assisting it is good to be thinking two steps ahead of the artist....i.e you have their brushes cleaned before they ask you to do it; be in the right place at the right time and thinking about how you can help them next. Too many times assistants are too busy networking and putting their own name (and business card!) about and not concetrating on what their artist needs/wants/demands next. This is not a good idea as you will not get asked to assist again, the artist is doing you a favour by taking you under their wing and, effectively, furthering your education.

Any more questions hun, just PM me :green:

xx

One of my favourites is making faces by kevin aucoin

i am studying fashion and photographic makeup

i use the complete makeup artist by penny delamar, its fab full of info + pics

amazon has got loads of makeup books, but you will find some very mixed reviews

i am studying fashion and photographic makeup

i use the complete makeup artist by penny delamar, its fab full of info + pics

amazon has got loads of makeup books, but you will find some very mixed reviews

A book I forgot to mention! It is fab isn't it?

Do you study at the Delamar Academy? If so, you're so lucky :green: I would have loved to have gone to Delamar!

A book I forgot to mention! It is fab isn't it?

Do you study at the Delamar Academy? If so, you're so lucky :green: I would have loved to have gone to Delamar!

i wish, i can't afford to go to the delamar academy :cry:

its a 1 year vtct course at a college in east london

i qualify in july, then i hope to study theatrical and media makeup in september

i wish, i can't afford to go to the delamar academy :cry:

its a 1 year vtct course at a college in east london

i qualify in july, then i hope to study theatrical and media makeup in september

Ah well, the book's a good second best! :green:

What do you want to do eventually?

Ah well, the book's a good second best! :green:

What do you want to do eventually?

i have not quite decided yet

at the moment i am enjoying studying and learning new skills

i work for a university that is part of the same group as the london college of fashion, i would love to eventually do some work there

although i would love some work experience assisting a makeup artist :)

i have not quite decided yet

at the moment i am enjoying studying and learning new skills

i work for a university that is part of the same group as the london college of fashion, i would love to eventually do some work there

although i would love some work experience assisting a makeup artist :)

Sounds like you're having loads of fun! London is the best place to be for the makeup/fashion scene :green:

If you do something at the London College of Fashion, you will have a fab time and learn loads....they really are top class!

If you fancy assisting, try asking your tutor if they know of anyone who is looking for an assistant. Do you ever have makeup artists come in for the day, often they will be looking out for potential assistants also.

Sounds like you're having loads of fun! London is the best place to be for the makeup/fashion scene :green:

If you do something at the London College of Fashion, you will have a fab time and learn loads....they really are top class!

If you fancy assisting, try asking your tutor if they know of anyone who is looking for an assistant. Do you ever have makeup artists come in for the day, often they will be looking out for potential assistants also.

we haven't had any visiting makeup artists yet, but i will ask my tutor if its something she can arrange

when i done my cosmetic makeup course one of my tutors was a mac makeup artist i might contact her and see if she can help

hopefully if i do a course at london college of fashion i can get a staff discount

I didnt want to start a new thread so Ive highjacked this one.

I am planning to start a makeup course in may with Il-Makiage (its 4 hours a week and 38 sessions). Im SO excited but also nervous.

Could the makeup/skin Geeks give me any advice or information about:
this type of course
any books not mentioned in this thread
any websits (Ive looked through the links allready posted)
anything about the company and products
what its like to be a makeup artist
anything else

I know, Im not asking for much!!
Thanks in advance. xx

Latest posts

Back