Best business account?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zowee

Reaction score
Evening All,

Title says it really, I'm looking into business accounts as I'm about to become a self employed nail technician.

Used the search function which didn't help. There was lots of info about whether to use personal or business accounts. I need a business account. My credit rating isn't the best but debts are paid now and I'm not looking for an overdraft or a loan.

So basically asking who do you bank with? How do you rate their service? And which banks are to be avoided?

Any advice would be much appreciated:)

I use Alliance and Leicester (now Santander I think) and my banking is free. I can pay in money at any post office so it works really well for me.

We currently use natwest. It's a basic account and even if you have poor credit you can still apply. We have recieved excellent support from our business manager, all free, and banking is free for two years x

Forgot to say, we don't have overdraft etc, just don't need it x

Thank you for your replies :)

I am going to look into both Santander Natwest. I have heard bad things about Barclay's from friends who have larger businesses :/

Natwest sounds ideal so far, alot of others seem to come with an overdraft which I really dont want I've been and still am saving so that I can start up with no debt. Do you know how much they charge for their banking once the free period is over?

I will pm you with them c

You don't necessarily need a business account, you can run it from a separate private as some banks charge for this, don't let them talk you into having one they are after you for charges!!
Give citizens advice a call see if they can put you in touch with a company, not sure about England but here in Wales the welsh assembly provide free courses for people wanting to start up on their own helping with tax, n.I , accpcounts, banks, business plans
etc!

Sorry I couldn't seem to attach the pic of the charges in a msg, but if you go online they can be downloaded there x

First Direct or HSBC .. first direct is part of HSBC

Last edited:
I'm with Barclays and they don't pull very many trees up in my opinion, I'm going to switch to HSBC soon x x

I am with Santander too. I opened my account when it was alliance and Leicester too. It is free and I pay in all my cash at our local post office that's right by my kids school. I needed a business account as I wanted to take card payment too and you can't do that into a personal account.

Ive been with natwest for over a year for my business account nd they have been great :).. The only problem i had was with my card machine as they go through streamline, streamline are shocking :( but natwest get a thumbs up :).. Heard good things about santander aswell!!

Thank you for all your replies, I have booked a meeting with HSBC, Natwest and Santander.

Also bought my domain name for a website, spoke to sweet squared about a conversion course and some 1 to 1 training, and looked at insurance. It's been a busy day!!!

I'm with the HSBC....

I have been for the past 2years... And have just opened up a new account.
Looked into getting a loan with them, but there rates are so high.
Wouldn't rate them that well, trying to close my old acc and get all the money out has taken several weeks and been a right pain in the bum!

I've heard lloyds are amazing for there business banking though!xx

I've recently looked into Lloyds, HSBC and Barclays. Barclays seem to be geared more towards bigger businesses rather than self employed/sole traders. Lloyds were very helpful but their charges seemed quite expensive compared to HSBC, but they are tailored charges so it depends on your business needs, I think they were offering 18 months free business banking. I've gone with HSBC who have been really helpful and the charges are pretty low, they are also offering 2 years free business banking, I have my personal accounts with first direct and was using a seperate HSBC personal account for business and they've been really helpful closing that and moving everything across to the business account.
Good luck hope you find one that suits.x

Santander! Free banking. Used to be with Natwest, but after the first free year there us an annual charge. Don't understand why would yuh want to pay a charge just because you are s business? It's like we don't have enough costs! Hit me while I'm down!
July x

Another fan here of Santander. After all, it's free & I pay out enough of my hard earned cash to various companies without having to pay bank charges on top!

The other bonus is that you can have a merchant account with them should you wish to take cards at a later date.

I'm with santander and free banking and also u just put your own money into an envelope and u put it in through the machine rather than going in and queuing!!!

X

Latest posts

Back